Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Where is Miss Silvia?!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where is Miss...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
DaveyC86

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 9:57am
Subject: Where is Miss Silvia?!

Evenin' all.

This is my first post on here, and I'm hoping you good folk may be able to help out a relative noob with some solid advice, backed up with experience! :)

I have been using a moka pot and a French press for some time now and have decided to take the plunge into the world of espresso machines. I have been grinding my own beans for some time, and like to think that I have picked up a little knowledge along the way.

My predicament lies herein. My research and consultation of a trusted roaster has lead me to desire Miss Silvia as my first machine, which I hope to purchase fairly soon. I'll also be after a new grinder as my current is a cheap faux burr grinder that has been satisfactory for use so far, but won't cut it with a half decent machine.
All seems straight forward so far.
The next step, and the problem, where the hell do I find her? There seems to be no trusted UK sources for a new machine, and the Euro importers seem to get a hefty slating.
So, do I continue the search for Silvia, or do a change machine choice, and of so, to what? My budget is around 550 maybe for a machine and hopefully grinder, although I do have some flexibility of required. Basically I don't want to spend under budget and get a terrible machine 'that will do'.

Sorry about the length of that, but here's hoping that someone can be of assistance!
Thank you all in advance :)

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 10:14am
Subject: Re: Where is Miss Silvia?!

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Just one possible sale offer: click here.

But...

• What do you expect from that set-up?
  • What kind of beverages will you probably be making? Primarily espresso or espresso based milk drinks?
  • How many drinks per session, per day, per week will you be making?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 10:29am

Miss Silvia is no longer the bell of the ball as she once was.  Also, unless you are handy I would look to buy a machine that someone near me could service.  I have serviced my own with no real skills but I was not afraid to try and so I bought used to stay on budget and get a more temp stable machine than Silvia.  I did have to work on it, Oscar was neglected but now he is a star on my counter.  Answer the standard questions above and read
"How to Buy an Espresso Machine"

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DaveyC86

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 11:52am

Ok. Food for thought to start with then.
I'd be making a mix of milk as espresso drinks, maybe one or two per session, between twice and four times a day depending on my work schedule, every day of the week.
I guess I expect a decent shot of espresso? I expect it to be hard worl to start with and appreciate there will likely be a steep learning curve and a fair amount of awful drinks!
There are no good coffe bars near me, that I'm aware of anyway, so it's down to me to provide myself with a proper shot!

And thanks for the welcome/replies :)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 11:54am

If you read the article I linked more of what we say will make sense.  More research at the start will save you money in the long run.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DaveyC86

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:10pm

I'm on it, thanks
DaveyC86

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 1:33pm

Ok, so the guide is very helpful, but I still don't know where to look? Any specific vendors that I should try or avoid? Any machine suggestions based on what I need?
I'm very much in the dark here, with my first decision having been made on prior suggestions of Miss Silvia and the Gaggia Baby Twin.
My head is very crazy place right now!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 1:50pm

If Gaggia, then probably the Classic.  Read reviews on the Twin, leaks are too common.  The Classic has adjustable pressure/OPV and a 3-way.  SBDU machines are not so much fun if you are making multiple drinks per session, especially if steam is needed, and you need to consider how often that happens.

It is difficult to recommend in your area without knowing availability of vendors and service.  Look for vendors and service/parts in your area and if none, then expand.  I would want a machine that I could get help and parts with in your area.

Consider used, but again think ahead of refurbishing and the needs for parts and support.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 1:44am

With the kind of consumption you described you'll probably do fine with a SBDU machine which also fits you budget. Besides the Rancilio Silvia you might want to take a look at the Gaggia Classic, Isomac Venus or QuickMill Cassiopeia.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
DaveyC86

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:27am

Thanks again guys, I think back to the gaggia classic it is, then just a better grinder to match! The gaggia grinders don't seem up to much tho, maybe an Ascaso or Rocky? Is it worthwhile getting one with a doser?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where is Miss...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.436294078827)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+