Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Buying a new machine, breville?
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buying a new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:24am
Subject: Re: Buying a new machine

EricBNC Said:

I have made decent espresso on machines with and without pre-infusion. That large boiler capacity and mass and adjustable OPV (along with the PID) allow the Silvano to make very good espresso even with no pre-infusion. The solid and thick stainless steel case and drip tray give it the look and feel of an expensive, well built tool. It might not be the cheapest of your options, but more often than not you get what you pay for with espresso machines and everything else.

Here is a not quite side by side photo I took a while back so you can make a visual comparison:

Posted September 16, 2012 link

I always imagined that good espresso has been around a lot longer than pre-infusion, but I also didnt want to miss anything with this upgrade. Im guessing then you are in favor of the sylvano, over the CC1?

How does everyone feel about the Breville Dual Boiler?

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Dallis Bros (NYC): New York Espresso

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:53am
Subject: Re: Buying a new machine, breville?

It has nice bells and whistles and it looks good on the counter.  There are a lot of people here that remember when Breville made very cheap machines so they are waiting to see how long the machines last.  Also, you will not be able to service it yourself.  The top end Breville is more than my Oscar new.  For that kinda money, I would go with a tried and true HX over the top end Breville but I like to fix stuff myself.  But there are tons of people very happy with their Brevilles right now.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 12:48pm

acasabia Said:

How does everyone feel about the Breville Dual Boiler?

Posted September 18, 2012 link

I've had mine for six months now, and it's been fantastic. Rock solid steady, and with lots of cool little features. Obviously the question that everybody has with the BDB is what people will be saying five years from now. Ah, to have a crystal ball...

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 1:37pm

The unserviceable aspect, masses of proprietary parts, lots of plastic plumbing and hoses internally, and all the electronics are enough to get me to look elsewhere. $1000 for what has to be considered (at this point) as a disposable electronic device? I will pass on it based on those factors alone. As opposed to "icing," the Breville name is just "poop on the cake."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 6:41pm

I have used a friends BDB, and it is certainly quite nice. It has many features that you cannot touch for twice the price. True, reliability may be an issue, but Breville seems to be determined to make it succeed.

If I were to buy a new machine, I would probably get the Breville. But, I would make sure I bought it from a seller with a generous return policy. My friend bought it on an American Express card that added an extra yer to the warranty.

The Silvano and the CC1 also look quite nice. All 3 will make a good espresso.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
 View Profile Link to this post
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 7:02pm

UPDATE: 27/9/12
My budget has become a bit wider and was wondering about a few other machines.

How do people feel about the Rocket Giotto/Cellini? There are rotary and vibration pump models, e61 brew head, manual pre-infusion, etc. I did notice there is no PID, but my understanding is that on a HX machine you really don't need one. Suggestions?

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Dallis Bros (NYC): New York Espresso

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 6:16am

My personal bias is going to show but I think the Rocket machines are rock solid units and if you can afford one, my PERSONAL feeling is that you will love it. I own the larger brother to the Rocket lineup and I bought it used several years ago. Other than normal and minor manitaince, it has been a rock solid performer.

Again, my personal feeling based on the way HX systems work, a PID is pretty much worthless on a HX machine. It is pretty and it is fun to look at the nice number readout but the PID maintains the STEAM BOILER temp in a HX machine, not the brew temp so that is why they are not a must have feature on a HX machine.

On dual boiler and on single boiler dual use machines, PID units make a difference and they are a desirable feature.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buying a new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.436012983322)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+