Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia V3 by Rancilio with a PID controller installed or The Quickmill Silvano.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia V3 by...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lekkerbakkie

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 11:31pm
Subject: Silvia V3 by Rancilio with a PID controller installed or The Quickmill Silvano.

Coming from Europe having worked and lived all over the Mediterranean, I now, after 11 years in the USA (great country) am still attempting to recover from the shock of the “local” nastiness named “starbucks”. In my search for a decent cup op coffee (Espresso), I have come to realize that I will have to take serious action (and spending) or be unhappy for the rest of my “USA” life.

Goal: Drink good coffee in a timely manner using a simple machine that is quality built and does not require a ton of maintenance.

Budget: $1000

I like the looks (and reviews) of the following machines that are similar priced: Silvia V3 by Rancilio with a PID controller installed (understand this is a must), or The Quickmill Silvano.

Does one take longer then the other to be ready to use? I read that the Silvia V3 needs 30 min to be ready for use? Is this true? Any noticeable build quality differences? Could you please tell me what the differences are between the 2, share any personal experience and advise me why I should buy one or the other?

Note: I will never use the milk/foaming option, Never !! I do not like milk, hot or cold and will never ruin a good cup of coffee by adding milk or sugar for that matter. If I could remove that part, I would.

Note: When in Italy (or spain, Portugal or Greece), I usually order 2 double espresso’s, poor them in a larger muck and drink it like it is a normal cup of coffee. I will do this twice every morning. It is the best….How do I accomplish this at home?

Last final question: I have enough air miles to get home delivered a “free” Breville® Dual Boiler. Is this machine any better or worse then the other 2 mentioned? Or should I just go for that one? From reading, the Breville brand is not nearly as “solid” and long lasting as the other 2 proven models. I happen to have a serious lack of patience for poor quality, and would rather spend good money for good quality.

Thank you so much for your time, Your advise is highly valued (and desperately needed)

Regards

Ron
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 12:29am
Subject: Re: Silvia V3 with a PID controller installed or Silvano.

The major difference between a PIDed Rancilio Silvia and the QuickMill Silvano is that, thanks to a second pump and thermoblock enhanced steaming, the Silvano can brew espresso and froth milk simultaneously. If your claim of never needing frothed milk is true, the Silvano would be an overkill (that goes for the Breville Dual Boiler as well). However, there are other machines in the Silvia price range that offer more features like the Crossland CC1, for example. I suggest you take a look at them.

Apart from that, you didn't mention a grinder in your thread. It is, however, of major importance to espresso quality. Of your budget of $1,000 you ought to spend about 30% on the grinder.

Have you read this article on How to Buy an Espresso Machine yet?

For a quadruple espresso you'll have to pull two consecutive double shots. There is, however, a tripple shot basket (22g) from VST, which might be useful.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 11:39pm
Subject: Re: Silvia with a PID controller installed or The Quickmill Silvano

Lekkerbakkie Said:

Last final question: I have enough air miles to get home delivered a “free” Breville® Dual Boiler. Is this machine any better or worse then the other 2 mentioned? Or should I just go for that one? From reading, the Breville brand is not nearly as “solid” and long lasting as the other 2 proven models. I happen to have a serious lack of patience for poor quality, and would rather spend good money for good quality.

Posted September 13, 2012 link

If you can put this machine on your counter for free then it gets my vote. I am a very happy Quickmill Silvano owner and have no problem recommending my machine, but free is an awesome deal and the Breville BDB does have a happy following here and in Australia.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
sn_85

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 9:53am

^^^ I'm with above.  Unless there is something else that you're dying to get with your miles I'd get the BDB.  With that $1000 that you free up you can get a great grinder and buy whatever accessories you need.  While Breville doesn't have a good history it does look like they made great strides with their double boiler.  Besides a few OPV problems in the initial units that was corrected I haven't read of any mass issues or anything.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: Silvia V3 by Rancilio with a PID controller installed or The Quickmill Silvano.

The Breville is an incredible machine and bargain for what it offers even if you bought it, you have people whom had much more expensive machines previously switch and like the Breville better or were looking to upgrade and couldn't see a reason to spend more. A free BDB would be to crazy to pass up, do it!
Lekkerbakkie

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 10:06am

Thank you for your help. the Breville seems a very convenient unit with a lot of well thought out options, one of them is a timer, to assure the machine is ready and waiting for me in the morning :-). Just as a side note, and I know I was not very clear on this; I have a separate budget for accessories such as a grinder etc...

Regards,
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 10:25am

Free is too good to be true.  If it only lasts a few years then you will have a couple of years to learn.  By then you will know more about what you want in a machine. Technology will be better in machines with CC1 and Breville pushing the larger espresso machine makers into upgrading to stay competitive.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 7:46am

Free is hard to pass up but I know of at least one person who returned the BDB for issues on TWO BDBs then kept the money and bought a different machine.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/593427
YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 11:14am
Subject: Re: Silvia V3 by Rancilio with a PID controller installed or The Quickmill

Lekkerbakkie Said:

Does one take longer then the other to be ready to use?

Posted September 13, 2012 link

Any well made machine will take time to warm up.  If that's a concern then get a timer.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 2:29pm

calblacksmith Said:

Free is hard to pass up but I know of at least one person who returned the BDB for issues on TWO BDBs then kept the money and bought a different machine.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/593427
YMMV!

Posted September 17, 2012 link

Yeh but that's a fluke, and has to be something to do with the power supply/outlet in Canada or something, think Breville said they only had like 2 or 3 other machines in the world out of the thousand+ (looking at latest serial #s) they've sold with that same issue. But he had it multiple times in a row, plain odd. So far this machine has proved strong in the last year, I mean the only real issue was the OPV thing which was a quick easy fix initially, vs other machines costing 2-3x as much that have post after post after post on here and HB about common issues, pretty impressive.

Buddy moved his from the home to office, get's used a ton there by him and employees, hasn't skipped a beat. Has to pull at least 15 or 20 shots minimum daily now?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia V3 by...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421648979187)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+