Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Choosing a machine for a very, very small retail coffee bar
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Choosing a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
godofgwar

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Single Dripper/Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 9:20am
Subject: Choosing a machine for a very, very small retail coffee bar

First off, I appreciate all the help I've received in the past regarding equipment here on CG. But please note that this post is solely about advice on a machine, not about grinders (it will be paired with capable grinders) or whether or not a retail shop will succeed or fail. Thanks for understanding.

I'm in the startup stages of a very, very small commercial coffee bar. Really, it's more like a stand. Space is very limited and my choice of machine is unfortunately going to take a little creativity to fit nicely in the shop. In theory, the best fit would be be a GS/3 or a Synesso single group, but of course, a two group 220v machine is ideal.

Right now, I'm looking at:

*LM Linea 2 MP
*Synesso Cyncra 2 Group
*LM Strada 2 Group MP
*Some combination of one or two GS/3s or Cyncra Single Groups

Again, the Cyncra 2 Group and Strada 2 Group will force me to be very creative with positioning the machine inside the space. Regarding the single group machines, I've seen a few shops do small single origin bars, but I don't believe I've ever seen a shop run the main bar with a GS/3 or single Cyncra. So I can't say I'm super confident in their ability to keep up in a hopefully busy environment. Please chime in if you think otherwise.

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 7:18pm
Subject: Re: Choosing a machine for a very, very small retail coffee bar

I am no expert in retail at all, obviously there are a lot of shops in SF so I would ask around to see if you might be able to get someone to talk to you. Of course the local espresso machine supplier that will offer you full support is the best fit and I am sure if you are going to be featuring a roaster as a wholesale account they would be more than happy to help you out with making your decision.

It seems like the 2 group Linea works for a lot of places, and doesn't seem overtly huge. Most of your drinks will probably feature milk so it shouldnt matter if you are not able to pressure profile or have the most up to date machine. Perhaps if you are hugely successful you can then go on and scale up to a bigger badder machine just like coffee-geeks.

Less water, more grounds.
godofgwar

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 11:29am

Thanks for the suggestions. It's funny, I've talked to several baristas at different shops in SF and most only have experience on machines sized Linea or bigger. Most of them have no clue if something like a single group (GS/3 or Synesso) would hold up in a busy environment. A two-group Linea does seem to be the most logical option, though I would prefer something a bit different than the majority of local shops, as that machine seems to be the norm.

-Chris
natpark1

Espresso: La Marzocco GS 3
Grinder: Mazzer Major E, Vario W,...
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 12:25pm

godofgwar Said:

Thanks for the suggestions. It's funny, I've talked to several baristas at different shops in SF and most only have experience on machines sized Linea or bigger. Most of them have no clue if something like a single group (GS/3 or Synesso) would hold up in a busy environment. A two-group Linea does seem to be the most logical option, though I would prefer something a bit different than the majority of local shops, as that machine seems to be the norm.

-Chris

Posted September 9, 2012 link

We've been running a GS3 MP at a Farmers Market here in Texas this past spring and summer. Yesterday was our first "cool" (mid 70s early) day with school back in session and our GS3 had issues keeping up with steam pressure during our peak period when we were making a lot of lattes.  I don't have a specific breakdown of the drinks made during that period but we did about $250 in sales during that hour with drinks priced between $2.50-$3.50 and we probably sold a few bags of coffee as well. Next week we will be taking 2 GS3s with us to market.  

If you are going to be set up in a space and won't have to worry about transporting machine and the availability of 220v I'd go ahead and look at a 2 group Linea or a GB5.
godofgwar

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 2:31pm

We've been running a GS3 MP at a Farmers Market here in Texas this past spring and summer. Yesterday was our first "cool" (mid 70s early) day with school back in session and our GS3 had issues keeping up with steam pressure during our peak period when we were making a lot of lattes.  I don't have a specific breakdown of the drinks made during that period but we did about $250 in sales during that hour with drinks priced between $2.50-$3.50 and we probably sold a few bags of coffee as well. Next week we will be taking 2 GS3s with us to market.  

If you are going to be set up in a space and won't have to worry about transporting machine and the availability of 220v I'd go ahead and look at a 2 group Linea or a GB5.

This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thanks for chiming in.

Just out of curiosity, are you using a gas generator at farmer's markets to power the GS3?

-Chris
natpark1

Espresso: La Marzocco GS 3
Grinder: Mazzer Major E, Vario W,...
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 6:34pm

godofgwar Said:

This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thanks for chiming in.

Just out of curiosity, are you using a gas generator at farmer's markets to power the GS3?

-Chris

Posted September 9, 2012 link

Our market has 110v electricity available, so we just run a 100' 10 gauge extension cord to a powerstrip that runs the GS3, grinders, and flojets.

If you're looking to do something similar, let me know and I can give you the full rundown of our setup.
godofgwar

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 7:51pm

If you're looking to do something similar, let me know and I can give you the full rundown of our setup.

Awesome, I'll definitely give you a shout down the road. We're going to want to do private events at the very least, so I'd love to know how you're setting up.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Choosing a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410356044769)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+