Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Hi guys, could you help this novice?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Hi guys, could...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ilCapitano79

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 3:58am
Subject: Hi guys, could you help this novice?

I really need some help as I am total noob when it comes to making espresso. I had a super auto machine which i realized is garbage for making espressos (it was cheap too). Now I'm making a next step after reading this site and forums for couple of days. I dont have much choice where I'm at right now when it comes to the machine it self for my budget but here is what I've found and what I need to decide between.

Rancilio New Slivia V3+ CMA Mazzer mini

Nuova simonelli Oscar + CMA Mazzer Mini

Price difference between those setups is 300 dollars. I do have the money but would rather not spend too much since I'm complete a novice if machines require same skills for making expressos, I have never made a real espresso. Is Oscar worth the difference in price?

These are mine options and I could change the grinder on Silvia to Vario or MACAP M5 for 80 dollars less, and on Oscar I could change the grinder for MACAP M5 for 50 dollars less or just change Mini for Compak K3.

My use of machine would be couple of espressos every day and maybe one capuccino in a month and thats it. What I would like to have is a machine that I dont need to wait for too long in the morning to start making my espresso as I have small window before going to work. I really tried to decide for my self and I think Oscar might be the right choice but Didnt want to make any decision without consulting the experts.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 6:54am
Subject: Re: Hi guys, could you help this novice?

The Oscar is a better machine and can steam and pull a shot simultaneously. Silvia takes time to switch to steam and then back to pulling shots. The Oscar recovers faster between shots as well. Whether those are the only two to choose from would be dictated by whatever else is available to you. Would it be possible to find a good used grinder for less and spend the money on a better machine where you are?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 6:55am

Both machines you're looking are capable of making great shots, but my personal opinion is that a semi-commercial machine like Oscar is more consistent and, after the initial learning curve, is easier to use. If you get one of the new Oscars with the vacuum breaker valve, you can put it on a timer and have it ready and temperature stable when you wake up in the morning.

For the grinder, the stepless adjustments of the Mazzer Mini and K3 would win out for me. Haven't used a Vario enough to have an opinion, but a lot of people swear by 'em. The MACAP with it's stepped adjustment would, I think, be a false economy, as it's all too frequently that those "in-between" places are where the right grind for a particular bean on a particular day lie.
ilCapitano79

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 7:51am

frcn Said:

The Oscar is a better machine and can steam and pull a shot simultaneously. Silvia takes time to switch to steam and then back to pulling shots. The Oscar recovers faster between shots as well. Whether those are the only two to choose from would be dictated by whatever else is available to you. Would it be possible to find a good used grinder for less and spend the money on a better machine where you are?

Posted September 8, 2012 link

Buying something more expansive is not really an option, I wish it was. I'm in Thailand and theres not much here to chose from. The prices are already heavily reduced as I'm buying machine and grinder together and next machine is 50% more so this is what I have to chose from. Also used grinders are pretty much non existent as second hand. But for my needs you would go for Oscar?
ilCapitano79

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 7:56am

GVDub Said:

Both machines you're looking are capable of making great shots, but my personal opinion is that a semi-commercial machine like Oscar is more consistent and, after the initial learning curve, is easier to use. If you get one of the new Oscars with the vacuum breaker valve, you can put it on a timer and have it ready and temperature stable when you wake up in the morning.

For the grinder, the stepless adjustments of the Mazzer Mini and K3 would win out for me. Haven't used a Vario enough to have an opinion, but a lot of people swear by 'em. The MACAP with it's stepped adjustment would, I think, be a false economy, as it's all too frequently that those "in-between" places are where the right grind for a particular bean on a particular day lie.

So Oscar for a novice like me? Also if my Oscar doesnt come with the timer how long does it take for it to get ready, or could I let it be on over the night? What are the downsides of that?

As for the grinder Mazzer Mini it is then since I've read so many postives about it this just confirms it.

Sorry guys for so many questions but right now it feels like a big jungle of knowledge for me and it's not easy to find exact answer for my questions since there are so many threads and so many replies, takes ages to go trough them all.
GVDub

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 8:19am

When I say "timer", I'm just talking about something like this, adjusted, of course, for Thai voltage. As far as I know, nobody makes an internal timer for Oscar.

My personal take is that you're better off starting on a better machine because you don't develop the compromised habits that can be necessary to make an entry-level SBDU machine pull drinkable shots. I've often seen people rise to the level of their equipment. I'm not just talking espresso here - I'm a musician and I've seen beginners struggle with "okay" gear and almost give up thinking they're just no good, then come into the position of playing a better instrument and realize that it's not them. While the old saw that says, "It's a poor workman who blames his tools," is frequently true, sometimes it is the tools, and sometimes it takes more advanced skills to get good results out of less-than-perfect equipment.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 8:58am

I never made an espresso before in my life when I bought my machine.  My only real machine I have ever had is an Oscar and I have a vario W.  I am very happy with my set up and I believe I am pulling good shots with it.  I feel like I have a lot of power and control in my hands.  I bought my machine used because I had a small budget and Oscar used is a true bargain.  I did however have to replace a few parts and clean others but I have had it 10 months and I am very happy with my purchase and I don't have any upgradeitus that a lot of people get after they learn what they are doing.  I feel I am making really good espresso and understand my machine.  I wish it had a temp gauge and dials but I really am having no trouble using it without it.  I will be adding a vacuum breaker and a timer to it soon as Chris' coffee gets their new kits in.  I have been waiting all summer for it.  I love being able to steam and pull and I love taking him to parties.  He can totally handle a crowd.  Something Miss Silvia can't do.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ilCapitano79

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 9:07am

GVDub Said:

When I say "timer", I'm just talking about something like this, adjusted, of course, for Thai voltage. As far as I know, nobody makes an internal timer for Oscar.

My personal take is that you're better off starting on a better machine because you don't develop the compromised habits that can be necessary to make an entry-level SBDU machine pull drinkable shots. I've often seen people rise to the level of their equipment. I'm not just talking espresso here - I'm a musician and I've seen beginners struggle with "okay" gear and almost give up thinking they're just no good, then come into the position of playing a better instrument and realize that it's not them. While the old saw that says, "It's a poor workman who blames his tools," is frequently true, sometimes it is the tools, and sometimes it takes more advanced skills to get good results out of less-than-perfect equipment.

Alright Oscar it is then, its settled. Thank you for your thorough and fast answers. I'll try to get my hands on one of those timers for thai voltage or can I just simply let it on overnight?
ilCapitano79

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 9:11am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I never made an espresso before in my life when I bought my machine.  My only real machine I have ever had is an Oscar and I have a vario W.  I am very happy with my set up and I believe I am pulling good shots with it.  I feel like I have a lot of power and control in my hands.  I bought my machine used because I had a small budget and Oscar used is a true bargain.  I did however have to replace a few parts and clean others but I have had it 10 months and I am very happy with my purchase and I don't have any upgradeitus that a lot of people get after they learn what they are doing.  I feel I am making really good espresso and understand my machine.  I wish it had a temp gauge and dials but I really am having no trouble using it without it.  I will be adding a vacuum breaker and a timer to it soon as Chris' coffee gets their new kits in.  I have been waiting all summer for it.  I love being able to steam and pull and I love taking him to parties.  He can totally handle a crowd.  Something Miss Silvia can't do.

Thanks for replying, as stated in my previous post I'll definitly go for Oscar cant wait to meet him :). Do you know how long it takes for Oscar to get to working temperature? I just have to have double espresso in the morning and as stated before I dont have a lot of time in the morning before going to work. Would it harm the machine to leave it on overnight?

Thanks
GVDub

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 9:23am

Some folks leave their Oscar on 24/7. I think that using a timer to have it come on 45 minutes before you get up wouldn't take too long to pay for the timer in electricity savings. My Ellimatic (the Nuova Simonelli predecessor to Oscar) takes about 20-30 minutes to get temperature stable. Oscar should be about the same, but half an hour is the safe time. a little longer is good.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Hi guys, could...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.428941965103)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+