Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Delonghi EC702 Extremely High Group Head Temp
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC702...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 3:45pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi EC702 Extremely High Group Head Temp

Nickfrogger Said:

A PID would only adequately provide a starting temperature for such a small machine. The boiler is so small that no matter how much programming you do the temp will drop significantly through the course of the shot as cold water gets pumped into the boiler.

Posted September 6, 2012 link

Not quite so sure.  The PID function is one thing and the alarm can do another.  Gaggia has more wattage, but a small boiler.  I can get intra shot fall, fairly stable, or intra shot rise and the heater is only running about 50% of the time.  There is still enough power/wattage in the EC702

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

I am not necessarily recommending to do this with the EC702 but you can put together the pieces for less than the kit.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 4:01pm

D4F Said:

Not quite so sure.  The PID function is one thing and the alarm can do another...

Posted September 6, 2012 link

But like you say, there is more going on there than just a PID. 16 pages only comes from deep testing and research, something the average Delonghi user isn't going to appreciate :)

Super interesting thread, by the way. You've provided more hours of anti-paper procrastination, and for that I am deeply thankful ;)

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 5:23pm

I do not mean to change the thread, though this relates if OP is interested.  

The idea is fairly straight forward in spite of 16 pages.  

The heater can provide the calories needed to hold shot temperature, simple math.

The timing needs to start slightly ahead, so a blip of steam switch.

You can cycle the steam switch on and off, AndyPanda illustrated, and add the heat, provided you do not have a 3 way that prevents that during brew, or you work around.

The PID function is too damped to add enough heat in short enough time, so use the alarm function.  The alarm cycles the heater on and off, and the amount of heat cycle is indirect, based on alarm temperature setting.  That is trial and error as was the amount of steam switch flipping.  Unfortunately matching calories is flowrate dependant, cold water calories.  You need to get consistent grind, beans, and flow as a byproduct, but don't we all need to do that to get good espresso?  In addition, the next shot can be done much more quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluei1-IkTw

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CoffeeSleuth
CoffeeSleuth
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Delonghi EC702
Grinder: Starbucks Barista Burr...
Drip: Ceramic Pour Over
Roaster: Nostalgia Popcorn Popper
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 12:58pm

This helped me out a lot.  It seems shortly after beginning to pull the shot, the temp light will go out.  I found that if I click the steam function shortly after beginning the pull, that it will maintain temperature through the whole shot.
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 7:14pm

Another way to prevent the light going out is by pumping water before starting the shot.  Pump water until the light goes out, and when the light goes back on a few seconds later, start the shot.

Waiting until just the moment the light clicks on puts the machine at the top of its temperature cycle.

Now that you're using the steam switch right, I hope your espresso is much better!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC702...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.381777048111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+