Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 vs. Cellini Evoluzione...?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Bgosselin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012, 5:36pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 vs. Cellini Evoluzione...?

chriscoffee Said:

I did NOT say they could not ship via common carrier. I said they can not ship via UPS or FedEx. Common carrier is expensive and not very convenient for consumers if they ever need to ship their machine anywhere for service. Seven of the ten I received got destroyed when shipped UPS no matter how much packing we used in addition to double boxing.

Chris Nachtrieb, Pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

Posted September 2, 2012 link

Thanks for the clarification Chris.

I took delivery of mine localy because of the comment you made in the other thread regarding shipping.

The R58 trip tray is attachto the main structure by two little welding.  It sure look like it not strong enough to support the weight of the machine.  After seeing picture of crooked trip tray I was concern.

The R58 was exactly what i needed.  Double boiler with strong heating element for faster recovery.  Smaller frame to keep some counter space.  Beautifull looking.  I just hope now that it will be reliable for years to come.
 View Profile Link to this post
Tongue

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Macap M4
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 8:03pm

I just received my r58 today (shipped very securely on a palette by WLL). Two comments. One is that WLL is not using UPS, and my experience was very positive - the box was in perfect condition upon arrival, and so too was the machine. Second, this machine is unbelievable. It is massive yet still elegant. After working with an HX for 6 years and thinking I made pretty awesome espresso, I can say that this machine was a total game changer. My previous shots were always good, but always different each time. These shots are consistently creamy and delicious. Every shot has come out perfectly so far - seems hard to imagine how one could screw up a shot. Anyway, assuming your machine arrives in one piece I highly recommend. Loving this machine.
RocketEspresso

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 6:27am

Hi Coffeegeek members

It is not often that I comment on the forum but felt I should clarify the points regarding build quality of our machines.
The R 58 has been subjected to damage due to a lack of care by freight forwarders, nothing more. Unfortunately when you ship 35KG in a cardboard box and then drop it, damage will occur.
When the machine is dropped the join between the chassis and the drip tray support is damaged. This join is not a structural part of the machine so does not have the strength to withstand the fall.
We now ship all our machines with new and uprated packaging and additionally we have beefed up the chassis drip tray weld to over come such problems.
I dispute that the R 58 is subject to poor build quality as it is produced in our factory by our same small team of dedicated workers who produce all of our machines. I am so confident in this claim that I extend an invitation to any of you who wish to view our production and see our commitment first hand.

As a company we listen to both our dealers and customers and react when those comments are valid. The case in point is that I have personally responded to many of your emails which I believe is unique for the Managing Director of an Italian espresso company.

The R58 is one of many very good espresso machines currently available, we worked hard on both the design and the stability of the machine to ensure superior results in the cup and have achieved this. The R 58 will not suit everybody but it is a product that we are extremely proud of.

Andrew Meo, General Manager and partner Rocket Espresso.
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 8:47pm

Hello Andrew,

I just dont understand why this model seem to get dammage more than your heat exchange model.  Is it because the double boiler is heavier?  The chassis drip tray is different between a cellini and the r58?

My steaming capability was very poor compare to my mini vivaldi before a crank the boiler temperature to the max value.  Now it works very well but i had to diverge  from the recommanded value. A hypothesis was that the sensor is just not sensitive enough and the temperature drop too much before the heating element kicks in.  Is it the case? Have you change the sensor for the heating element in the newer shippement?

I can attest that you did answer my e-mail rapidly.  I do love my R58 and don't regret it purchase at all.
AtlantaJRM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Enrico of Italy
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Old Air popcorn popper
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 3:18pm

My R58 arrived last week.  The main boiler would not heat and had to pack it up and ship it right back.  

Does anyone think it might just be a bad production run?  The machine looked amazing, but I fear a lemon out of the box is bad karma!  

Also, never try to lift it out of the box by yourself unless you are married to a chiropractor.
Augsburg57
Augsburg57

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Type A
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 7:43pm

AtlantaJRM Said:

My R58 arrived last week.  The main boiler would not heat and had to pack it up and ship it right back.  

Does anyone think it might just be a bad production run?  The machine looked amazing, but I fear a lemon out of the box is bad karma!  

Also, never try to lift it out of the box by yourself unless you are married to a chiropractor.

Posted October 15, 2012 link

I received my R58 about 3 weeks ago, and it works perfectly.  My build date (noted in the manual) was June 2012.  So you may have been unlucky.  I did pick up the machine directly from Seattle Coffee Gear, to avoid issues with shipping.  I suspect the venders receive the Rockets from the manufacturer via auto freight (truck delivery on a pallet) and not via UPS or FedEx.  Therefore, they may have less risk of damage.
spacedoubt
spacedoubt

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Evoluzione v2
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:43pm

Just curious - where in the manual would I find the build date?  Thanks!
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:06am

djackcity Said:

WELL...I just got my Rocket R58 and turns out much of what I read on line was true!  It showed up DOA.  Specifically...

- no brew pressure...water drips VERY slowly from the brew head and no pressure shows on the gauge
- the brew pressure gauge was loose and crooked
- the steam pressure gauge rests well below 1 bar and continually fluctuates every few seconds
- the knobs for the steam and the water were unusually loose (which in my opinion feels poorly constructed)

Posted August 24, 2012 link

Can you hear the pump running when the brew gauge is showing 0 Bar?  If so, the gauge is almost certainly bad. The fact that it has been knocked loose from it's position furthers this hypothesis. I would suspect shipping damage for at least the loose and crooked gauge, and possibly the loose knobs.  Though the knobs should be loose and turn easily.  Unless "Loose" means "Floppy" or "Not attached to the valve-stems".
What temp/pressure have you set your steam boiler to when the bourdon tube type gauge is reading well below 1? It is possibly damaged. I would expect that the electronics are still accurate and that the gauge is off.

Obviously you need to return that to the dealer. Those things are tested before they leave Milan so it either happened in the shipping container or on the courier's floors.  I wish you luck and think you might want to drive the replacement home instead of leaving it in the hands of Unbelievable Package Smashers.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415788888931)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+