Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Augsburg57
Augsburg57
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Type A
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 4:40pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

I've had the R58 for about 10 days now.  I am very, very happy with the machine.  My grinder is a Mazzer Mini E, Type A.  I use the triple, bottomless portafilter dosed at about 23 grams.  My shots are fantastic, and comparable to what I typically receive at the best coffee houses in Seattle.

My R58 was purchased from Seattle Coffee Gear and I picked it up at their retail store.  I had no shipping damage issues and my machine was perfect right out of the box.  My paperwork says I have a June build date on the machine and the PID indicates I have firmware Version 5.10, with temp settings available in Fahrenheit.

I have never run out of hot brew water or steam.  The sizes of each of the boilers seems just right for my use.  I typically make 1 to 3 lattes in a row.

Regarding the PID, I leave mine plugged in when in use - at least until I get a timer to turn the machine on in the morning.  For home use, the PID lets me know I am up to brew temperature - which comes in very handy in an environment where you do not leave the machine on for extended periods.  The gauge on the lower left indicates 1 Bar when the machine is fully warmed up, which takes about 20 minutes from stone cold.  That's 20 minutes with both the brew and steam boilers turned on.  Perhaps it would be faster if only the brew boiler is used, as the machine cycles between the two boilers when heating up.  After being turned on, I find that the steam boiler arrives at 1 Bar and the brew boiler arrives at the designated temperature at about the same time.  Also, after being turned on for 20 minutes, the brew group is very warm to touch - too warm to hold your finger on it for more than a split second.

I've set my brew boiler to 226F, as I use a lighter roast (Victrola Streamliner).  I think the fact that the R58 has an external PID would be a non-issue if the machine was turned on all day - as once the settings in the PID are made, I have not changed them. Like I said, my PID is only in use to verify temp when starting up.  Once I have more experience, I expect to disconnect the PID and just watch the lower left gauge to verify I am at proper temperature.  The pressure gauge on the lower right reads 9 Bars when pulling shots, so I have made no adjustments.  left the steam boiler set per the factory settings and never run out of steam.  I always maintain 1 Bar when steaming.  My machine did come with the newer (thinner/smaller) temperature probe, as is discussed elsewhere in this thread.  So this probe may respond faster than the first one Rocket used and not require a higher temperature setting.  I find that the steam wand works fine and the non-burn feature is great.

To date, I am using the internal water tank and have not plumbed the machine into my domestic water supply.  I did get an Everpure QC-71 filter head and an Everpure OCS water filter cartridge from Espresso Parts.  I could plumb the machine in, however since the machine uses so little water, I am planning to plumb the filter into my cold water supply for my kitchen sink, and filter all cold water.  This way the filter will get more use and less chance of stagnation.  I still expect the filter will last 6 months, but we will see.  I don't think softening will be an issue here in Seattle, as our water is so soft.  Again, we shall see.

Bottom line, I think the R58 is a piece of art that performs beautifully.  I absolutely love the machine and highly recommend it.

Augsburg57: _DSC5700.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Spirit

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P-2
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:44am

I recently got my R58 too.

It's dated from june and I seem to have the latest firmware as I have the boiler temp, and not in bars.

However, when steeming, my pressure goes bellow 1 bar? Before starting it it's around 1.2, but when steaming it goes between 0.6 to 0.9 or so.
The milk result seem okay however. But if I could have more pressure that would be more than welcomed.

I maxed the boiler setting to 125celius...

Any idea?

Max
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Spirit

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:50am

AnthonyM Said:

Is anyone else using water line pressure for pre-infusion?

I finally received the Rocket bottomless portafilter.  I push up the E61 lever mid-way to start the water from the line, but before the pump kicks in.  From the videos I've seen on-line I should eventually see drops forming at the bottom of the basket, at which point the pump should be engaged.

I'm not seeing any drops form at the bottom of the basket before engaging the pump, however.  Is the line pressure is too low?  The water is passing through a water filtration system before the machine.  The pressure gauge indicates about two hash marks from 0 (so around 1 bar pressure?), but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Posted September 8, 2012 link

Can I ask where you bought the bottomless portafiler, I've been searching for one! :(

Max
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:06am

Increase your boiler temp to 127.  I did that with mine an now steaming is night and days.  I wrote to Andrew at Rocket to make sure it wasn't to cause a problem in the future.mi got back saying it wasn't a problem at all.

I think my model temp probe is not reactive enough.  If the temperature is not set high enough the heating element will kick in too late.  I read a pressure of 1.4 bar on mine.  It won't go lower than 1 bar when i steam.
Spirit

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:09am

Bgosselin Said:

Increase your boiler temp to 127.  I did that with mine an now steaming is night and days.  I wrote to Andrew at Rocket to make sure it wasn't to cause a problem in the future.mi got back saying it wasn't a problem at all.

I think my model temp probe is not reactive enough.  If the temperature is not set high enough the heating element will kick in too late.  I read a pressure of 1.4 bar on mine.  It won't go lower than 1 bar when i steam.

Posted October 5, 2012 link

I already maxed out the maximum temperature setting of the boilure. That's why I was asking. I can't set it higher that it is. I though it was 125 the maximum?
I'll try and film it this weekend and post the link.

Max
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:28am

Then you need to contact Rocket.  They need to change your probe with the new model.

And you are right 125celcius is the max.   I just check my e-mail echange with Andrew and it's were i'am at.  My memory is not was is use to be.:)

There is no reason for the Rocket not to be an extroardinary steamer.  I also have a mini vivaldi with a 1.2 liter boiler.  Steaming with my vivaldi is very strong.  My rocket now is at par or slightly above my Vivaldi in term of steam.  The R58 boiler is bigger and the heating element stronger.
Spirit

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:34am

Bgosselin Said:

Then you need to contact Rocket.  They need to change your probe with the new model.

And you are right 125celcius is the max.   I just check my e-mail echang with Andrew and it'swere i'am at.

There is no reason for the Rocket not to be an extroardinary steamer.  I also have a mini vivaldi with a 1.2 liter boiler.  Steaming with my vivaldi is very strong.  My rocket now is at par or slightly above my Vivaldi in term of steam.

Posted October 5, 2012 link

I spoke to a store and the guy knew about the "issue" and claimed that the version I had should be fine even though I see the pressure indicator going bellow 1Bar.
I was curious if someone could film it too so that we can compare. As aside the fact that I see the pressure going down, frothing the milk seemed alright, but I might be wrong?

Max
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:19pm

AnthonyM Said:

This appears to be the case.  I opened the top of my machine, and could see the updated probe inserted into the larger service boiler.   It has a black wire with a grey plastic collar, rather than a blue wire with a metal crimped collar.  The brew boiler keeps the original, thicker thermocouple.

If you don't want to take off the top of your machine, use a flashlight to look through the holes of the cup warmer.

I believe the PID interface originally had a steam pressure setting, but then Rocket changed it to temperature, I presume since that is what condition is being measured and controlled in the first place.  They remedied the problem of the original probe responding too slowly to the service boiler temperature change during steaming, but didn't have a chance to update the manual.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

AnthonyM posted a description of the new probe on page 13 of this thread.  Maybe you can check if you have the old or new probe?  I think rocket should send new probes for the early adopter.  Maybe they think only a few people experience problems with steam.

If you have nothing to compare maybe you think steam is fine.  In my case I knew i should get steaming capabilities as good or not better than my Vivaldi.  Setting at 125 celcius made the difference for me.
VDelgado

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 1:57pm

Ive made some tests with a Scace thermometer and it takes 45min for the R58 to get to 100% temperature, in 20 min you get about 95%. The fact that the boiler got to temperature doesn't mean the nose is hot enough.
Spirit

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 7:41am

Well looks like I'm out of luck.

The brew boiler decided to not boil any water anymore this morning after not even a week of use.
I can just get steam, thats it.

:(

Max
showing page 16 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.442981004715)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+