Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MartyRey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rockett Espresso R58
Grinder: Baratza Varo
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 7:18pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

I thought I would update my R58 experience after using it daily for about six weeks. Since I purchased the machine from Seattle Coffee Gear, and they allow a 30 period for a refund, I kept the packing boxes ready for shipping the unit back. I can say that at no time during the 30 day period did I ever have any serious thoughts about returning the machine. Granted, it is not perfect and has some first generation issues, but overall I am very pleased. I can't imagine going back to a single boiler machine, that isn't plumbed in, and that has marginal temperature control. At the end of the 30 days, I put the boxes up in the attic and felt good about my purchase.

All an espresso machine does is heat water to a specific temperature, then increases the pressure of the water to 9 bars to flow through up to 60 milliliters through a filter. If milk drinks are to be made, then the expresso machine has to have the capability to produce steam. Ideally, the machine should have the capability for a plumbed in water source. That is it. Why this costs over $1,000 is surprising to me. Still, it is what it is, and I'm happy wtih my purchase with no buyer's remorse.
 View Profile Link to this post
Bgosselin

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 12:00pm

I just feel the same way.  I just love this machine.  Stunning look and good steamer.  I've order a 4 holes 0.9mm tips to see if I can perform better micro foam.  But it does well with the two holes steam tips already.

Bruno
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 12:32pm

Bgosselin Said:

I just feel the same way.  I just love this machine.  Stunning look and good steamer.  I've order a 4 holes 0.9mm tips to see if I can perform better micro foam.  But it does well with the two holes steam tips already.

Bruno

Posted August 20, 2012 link

I found the 2 small holes in that  "4 tip set" really worked great!
itsmesteven

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Vario mkII
Vac Pot: Hario syphon
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 2:55pm

Good new on the steam issue.

Read this on a German forum and I will contact my retailer to get the new sensor tomorrow.

Google translate:
"As I mentioned, was not too thrilled by the pressure fluctuations and the pressure drop for no reason I have discussed with Andrew Meo and we are then come to an agreement that Rocket sends me a new temperature sensor (see picture). This is according to Andrew a "test almost-reaction", the Rocket tested / used?
Fast reaction is logical, because the part has only about a third of the original thickness, ergo less sluggish and therefore also covers smaller temperature changes rapidly, and then in "heat command" converts. Unfortunately, this thing has a slightly different offset, so I had to set the temperature to 125 C. So I now have a constant 1.3 bar pressure drop with minimal make cash to 1.15 anything. Overshooting over 1.3 bar no longer gibts. Reheating during foaming now works better, you can clearly see that the heating starts. The pressure during the foaming never drops below 1 bar.
Without going to criticize too know-it, but it could have been sooner Rocket. Fast sensor = fast response to temperature changes = more constant pressure. Not exactly rocket science ...

I am impressed by the helpfulness and efficient help of Rocket. They could also insist that I bring the machine to the dealer, but instead I get the free probe sent. "

Picture: (Left old sensor)
http://up.picr.de/11560103ej.jpg

Click Here (translate.googleusercontent.com)
lozinsky

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 9:12pm

I have noticed the same thing on mine although it has not affected my ability to steam milk.

I have my service boiler set to 123c and it hovers around 1.1 bar but then drops rapidly (to .6 bar) when i start steaming.  If i blow out a bunch of steam (down to .6 bar) and wait for it to recover the pressure will not usually drop below 1 bar after that.  I had the service boiler up to 125c and it did not drop below 1 bar ever and will likely turn it back up to that tomorrow.

I would like to know if anyone in north america has heard from dealers if a different sensor will be made available.  The fluctuations in the steam pressure and the fact that the service boiler needs to be set 6-9 degrees higher than the manual recommends bothers me.  So far this is the only thing with the machine that i thought was weird.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 5:34am

lozinsky Said:

I have my service boiler set to 123c and it hovers around 1.1 bar but then drops rapidly (to .6 bar) when i start steaming.  If i blow out a bunch of steam (down to .6 bar) and wait for it to recover the pressure will not usually drop below 1 bar after that.  I had the service boiler up to 125c and it did not drop below 1 bar ever and will likely turn it back up to that tomorrow.

I would like to know if anyone in north america has heard from dealers if a different sensor will be made available.  The fluctuations in the steam pressure and the fact that the service boiler needs to be set 6-9 degrees higher than the manual recommends bothers me.  So far this is the only thing with the machine that i thought was weird.

Posted August 20, 2012 link

The addendum in the manual actually recommends a setting of 1.2 bar.  I have to set my machine to 257F/125C, the maximum temperature setting on the PID, to achieve this pressure.   This is consistent with the temperature of the post from the German forum, who mentions a "slightly different offset" with the new probe.   Since the pressure is at a reasonable setting, I wouldn't worry about the temperature reading, which may vary depending on the probe.

Perhaps later shipments of the machine have been sent with the newer probe? and there was no time to update the manual with the new temperature readings?  I'll have to open up my machine later and check the probe.

Anthony M
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 5:39am

I found the Manual to be contradictory in a few places.  The Maximum/minimum plumbed-in pressures varied, depending on where you were you were reading it in the Manual.

I also noticed the steam pressure was rather wimpy if it was not on a heating cycle.

I do not regret sending the machine back.
lozinsky

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 7:47am

I would like to note that throughout this whole thread there have been very few unhappy R58 owners and the minor issues (if you could call them that - for me the only thing was the varying steam pressure which still creates great micro foam in 10-15 seconds) for most people are by no means cause to return the machine.  It is great that you took action when you were not ultimately satisfied by your purchase and got another machine - that being said it would also be great if you took up the issue of your un-refunded money with WLL instead of continuing to post about it on the R58 forum and leave the discussion to owners/potential purchasers as your experience has been thoroughly documented for others to read in the future.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 7:59am

lozinsky Said:

I would like to note that throughout this whole thread there have been very few unhappy R58 owners and the minor issues (if you could call them that - for me the only thing was the varying steam pressure which still creates great micro foam in 10-15 seconds) for most people are by no means cause to return the machine.  It is great that you took action when you were not ultimately satisfied by your purchase and got another machine - that being said it would also be great if you took up the issue of your un-refunded money with WLL instead of continuing to post about it on the R58 forum and leave the discussion to owners/potential purchasers as your experience has been thoroughly documented for others to read in the future.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

WLL has just refunded all monies so that is cool with me.  They do a good job when it is necessary.

As for that machine, the R-58, it is experiencing first generation issues that all machines experience.  Once it has been on the market for a couple of years it will be a solid performer but it is sad that they did not pay closer attention to operational details.  The drain and drip tray issues are throughout the Rocket line.

I feel bad for WLL to be in the middle between the manufacturer and the consumer with a machine that needs tweaking.
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 3:18pm

AnthonyM Said:

Perhaps later shipments of the machine have been sent with the newer probe? and there was no time to update the manual with the new temperature readings?  I'll have to open up my machine later and check the probe.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

This appears to be the case.  I opened the top of my machine, and could see the updated probe inserted into the larger service boiler.   It has a black wire with a grey plastic collar, rather than a blue wire with a metal crimped collar.  The brew boiler keeps the original, thicker thermocouple.

If you don't want to take off the top of your machine, use a flashlight to look through the holes of the cup warmer.

I believe the PID interface originally had a steam pressure setting, but then Rocket changed it to temperature, I presume since that is what condition is being measured and controlled in the first place.  They remedied the problem of the original probe responding too slowly to the service boiler temperature change during steaming, but didn't have a chance to update the manual.

AnthonyM: Rocket-R58-boiler-SMALL.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Anthony M
showing page 13 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.447082042694)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+