Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Duetto II steam boiler not working!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Duetto II steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
espressobecky
espressobecky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 7:43am
Subject: Duetto II steam boiler not working!

The steam boiler on my Duetto II has acted up in the past.  Sometimes it would have very low steam pressure until I cleared the wand and then would gradually increase the the usual boiler pressure.  But now I'm getting nothing.  No steam or hot water at all.  The espresso still brews as per normal, but I can't get the steam boiler to work.  Any ideas?

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 7:50am
Subject: Re: Duetto II steam boiler not working!

Sorry for your troubles,
I don't remember, is the steam boiler PID or Pstat?

It sounds like whichever device is maintaining the temp, has failed. No hot water and no steam, I think it is a safe bet that there is no heat in the steam boiler (DUH!) If it is a Pstat, I would look at the contacts condition, they do wear out though not as often as some posters might hint at. Pstats are pretty tough devices but anything mechanical can and will wear out.  OK, I did a little home work and your steam boiler is via PID, according to the Chris coffee website.

It should be a fairly easy issue to trace. Start at the boiler. If the heater is getting voltage then the problem is either in connections to the boiler, the overtemp safety switch if you have one or the heating element.
If there is no power to the heater in the steam boiler, then work backwards and look at the regulating device for proper operation.

Electronic devices most often fail due to connections getting corroded, See if you are getting any power out from the SSR that switches power to the heater. It might also be a failure of the temp thermocouple that is connected to the steam boiler.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressobecky
espressobecky

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 8:16am

Okay thanks!  I'll rip it apart once once I'm done drinking coffee for the day and maybe take some pictures if I can't get it figured out.

espressobecky
espressobecky

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 7:27am

Okay, I think I've finally got things figured out.  It seems that a wire going into the steam boiler overheated and got a bit burned.  Now, the reason this happened, I think, is because I must've been running it in the 20 amp mode instead of the 15 amp mode as I had previously thought.  Here's where it gets interesting.  It's not a Duetto II.  I was sold a Duetto as a Duetto II and told that just the steam and hot water arms and the feet on the machine were different than what I was expecting.  Not impressed.  I've emailed the company that sold it to me and will give them a chance to hopefully make things right before posting too much on here, but does anyone know how to change the PID settings on a Duetto?  I found both a Duetto and a Duetto II manual online, but only the Duetto II manual says anything about changing it from 20 amp to 15 amp modes.  Is this even possible with the straight Duetto?

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 10:29am

I don't know the answer to your question.  I don't think there are more than a couple of people here that even might know the answer.

I would call Chris' Coffee Service, if I were in your shoes.  I think they would be happy to help you, even though you didn't buy it from them.  Also, they are the most knowledgeable people in North America regarding the Izzo machines.

Please report back after, as a Duetto II owner and frequent poster, I am very interested in what you find out.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
espressobecky
espressobecky

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 12:47pm

Apparently the Duetto I only comes in a 20 amp model and is not convertible to a 15 amp mode.  And I do, in fact, have a Duetto I (that I've been running on a 15 amp circuit with a 15 amp converter cord that was sold with the machine for the last year).  Hopefully the company I'm dealing with is willing to help me out a bit here.  I think if I was to order a machine again I would just order from Chris Coffee and pay the extra.  They have been really helpful to me in getting this figured out.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 4:21pm

if you have your own home, you may be able to get an electrician to run a dedicated 20 amp line to where you're using it.

Good luck!

JeepinGeo

Espresso: Alex Duetto, Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ (x2), Rocky DL
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 8:53am

espressobecky Said:

Apparently the Duetto I only comes in a 20 amp model and is not convertible to a 15 amp mode.  And I do, in fact, have a Duetto I (that I've been running on a 15 amp circuit with a 15 amp converter cord that was sold with the machine for the last year).  Hopefully the company I'm dealing with is willing to help me out a bit here.  I think if I was to order a machine again I would just order from Chris Coffee and pay the extra.  They have been really helpful to me in getting this figured out.

Posted August 13, 2012 link

esspressobecky,

The early Duetto I's were 20A only. I converted mine to 15/20A capability and Chris started offering the 15/20A option soon after. The fact that you received a conversion cord leads me to believe yours is 15/20A capable. Remove the cup tray, remove the top cover panel and see if you have a toggle switch somewhere near the top of the machine.

If your machine is running in 20A mode (both heater elements can run at the same time), I'd be weary of running it on a 15A circuit. I saw about 1900 watts in 20A mode so there is a danger, not to the machine but to the wiring feeding the machine (possible overheating, house fire, etc.).

Does your Duetto have green and red panel lamps on the right side? If so, watch the red lamp and the 'dot' on the PID. If they're both ON at the same time then both heater elements are on at the same time (20A mode). If they alternate, you 're in 15A mode.

George
espressobecky
espressobecky

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 7:36pm

There is no toggle switch.  It was a demo model, so they didn't see the need to install one, but are looking into a conversion kit for me now.  I'm going to ship it off to get a conversion kit installed and have the boiler issues resolved hopefully soon.  My husband is an electrician, so he could always install a 20 amp outlet in the kitchen, but it would require a bit of drywalling on my part and we're planning on selling the place and moving in the next 6 months or so, so I'd rather just get a toggle switch installed.  And even if I fix the boiler issues in the meantime, I definitely won't be running it in 20 amp mode anymore without a dedicated line.  I was under the impression it had been set to run on a 15 amp circuit when I got it but am not going to risk that again now that I know better!  Looks like it's going to be press pot for me for awhile longer.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 8:19am

I would seriously consider that 20amp line.  It will allow you to run both boilers at the same time.  Chris' says there's no different in the home environment, and he may be right, but I've thought at times (particularly when making a bunch of drinks back to back for guests) that I wold notice a difference if I could run it in 20amp mode.  I asked an electrician to give me an estimate on running a line for me, and he didn't want to do it because of the location of my breaker box in relation to my coffee (formerly wine) bar.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Duetto II steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421463012695)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+