Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 15 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lozinsky

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 1:33pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

My machine will make a bit of noise when I turn it on too - I am not concerned about it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 3:32pm

Mine make a little bit of noise when I turn it on but only for a second.  My impression was that sometime a pump is activated to refile the boiler but beeing almost full it stop almost right away.  Are you taking about a similar noise or yours is longer?
 View Profile Link to this post
CrazyFin

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 8:18am

I just received my new Rocket R58 to Sweden and I have exactly the same problem...

Setting the service boiler temp to recommended 120 or 119 degrees Celsius gives me a pressure of 0.9 and 0.8 bar only. I have to set to 124 degrees Celsius on the PID controller to get 1.2 bar on the machine.

I bought my machine from http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/. I received the machine this Friday and have sent an email to them. Let's see what they respond next week. I have also emailed Andrew at Rocket with pics of the different settings and readings of the bar gauge on the machine.
Bgosselin

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 8:46am

From CC website
Sold Out! New shipment of inventory has been placed on hold!

Problems with the R58 reflect on all Rocket made products.

My guess is that Rocket is trying to make it right and address the different issue that people are having with this model.  Don't know how long it will take for them to ship again.
lozinsky

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 11:42am

@crazyfin I have to set my PID to 124/125 as well to get 1.2 bar +. No big deal - I mentioned above that I emailed Andrew and he will mail out the fast reaction temperature probe. In the meantime the steaming power is totally fine on my machine.  See the previous post in this thread to find out if you have the slow or fast reaction temperature probe.

As for CC putting their r58 order on hold - I wonder if it is because of actual issues with the machines, or because of machines being damaged shipping (from this thread I would expect it is because of the later).  

I really couldnt be happier with my r58 so it is a shame that people have received damaged machines and have yet to experience how great this thing really is.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CrazyFin

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:39pm

@lozinsky
Yepp, I am running mine too @ 124/125 degrees celsius and that gives me 1.2-1.3 bar and really nice and steady steaming power.

This R85 really makes nice espresso shots and finally I can create 4-6 café lattes in a row without loosing steaming power! :-) (My prev machine was the "beginners" machine Gaggia Classic with the Gaggia MDF grinder)

Looking forward to get a reply back from either Andrew at Rocket some day next week and/or from the Italian webshop http://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/.

I'll post back with a report when my this issue has been solved. Meanwhile I'll keep making really nice espresso shots and nice milk textures with this wonderful R85. :-)
Bgosselin

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 4:27am

I'm set at 125 celsius also.  Pressure doesn't get below 1 bar when i steam
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 7:59pm

I did clarify the service boiler pressure/temperature settings with Andrew, who responded quickly to my question.  His response:

The maximum temperature in the service boiler is 257 degrees. This corresponds +/- with a pressure setting of 1.2 bar.
Generally the gauge reads slightly lower than a digital pressure reading that we take from the boiler in testing, so in effect you will have a maximum of around 1.25 to 1.275 bar at the boiler temperature of 257 degrees.

Although it's at the maximum value, as the others have observed there is no problem achieving adequate pressure with this setting.

Anthony M
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 12:45pm

Is anyone else using water line pressure for pre-infusion?

I finally received the Rocket bottomless portafilter.  I push up the E61 lever mid-way to start the water from the line, but before the pump kicks in.  From the videos I've seen on-line I should eventually see drops forming at the bottom of the basket, at which point the pump should be engaged.

I'm not seeing any drops form at the bottom of the basket before engaging the pump, however.  Is the line pressure is too low?  The water is passing through a water filtration system before the machine.  The pressure gauge indicates about two hash marks from 0 (so around 1 bar pressure?), but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Anthony M
pcguy74
pcguy74

Espresso: Rocket R58, Bodum Press,...
Grinder: Nouva Simonelli MDX
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 6:23am

I'm following up on being an early adopter of the R58.  In most things in life I kind of like to "be different" but I'm not always an early adopter.  My experience with the R58 for 3+ months has been great.  See my previous review for the general satisfaction I feel about this machine!

Here are a few things I'm experiencing or things that could use improvement:

The noise when starting the machine (not the pump) comes from the heating elements.  It just sounds really discomforting to those not familiar.  I wonder if it is slight mineral build up like in my home water heater.  It shouldn't be since I'm using RO water with VERY low mineral content.  I was warned that this may affect the pump not being able to sense but I haven't had any issues.  Anyway, once you explain to people what it is, it's a non-issue.

My machine can pull a good shot after about 20 minutes of being powered on.  I still use the "pull water first" technique to make sure the temp. variance isn't too great.  I've been through a bunch of coffee brands and from light to dark roasts, single origin to blends (I brew it all as espresso, it's not all good but that's the coffee not the machine!).  I've had very solid results once I dial in the grind depending on the beans.  I can say this machine has made me a predictable home barista.  I've poured very few shots down the drain.

I still wish the drip tray was just an inch longer and 1/2 inch wider to catch a few more of the drips, etc.  I've got mine plumbed in an it drains just fine, but I would just like it a bit wider.

I'm going to try some of the new tips for steaming but I'm getting nice microfoam about 80% of the time.  Once in a while I mess it up and end up with a latte.  I'm thinking a 3 hole will be perfect.

I'm not sure what insulation is used to keep the temp of the outside of the machine cooler to the touch.  I think it needs a bit more (if you have kids around they like to touch shiny things that look cool).  My niece burned her fingers a bit when she got curious. (she's 9 so it was just a little lesson in not being so curious!)

I'd like the PID integrated now...it's nice to see the temperature so I leave it connected.  I don't mess with it much but I'm wondering if it could sit on top of the cup warmer section, be bolted on somehow.

EVERYONE who comes to our home talks about the machine so it's got some value even as a conversation piece!  

I finally ordered my plumbing adaptors now because I'm sick of dealing with a catch bucket for the leak with the way I have it cobbled together now.  Thanks to the poster who laid out the parts, etc.  That was VERY helpful.

I'm still 99% happy with the machine.  Having spent the money, I'd like to think this machine could be produced/sold for about $600 less.  It's great and as long as it lasts a long time, I'm happy with the machine.  If I get just 5 years out of it without a repair I will be pleased.  If I get 10 years out of the machine (even with repairs) I'll feel lucky and feel like I got a steal.
showing page 15 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.465412139893)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+