Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Duetto II steam boiler not working!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Duetto II steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
JeepinGeo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto, Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ (x2), Rocky DL
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 1:56pm
Subject: Re: Duetto II steam boiler not working!

emradguy Said:

Chris' says there's no different in the home environment, and he may be right, but I've thought at times (particularly when making a bunch of drinks back to back for guests) that I wold notice a difference if I could run it in 20amp mode.

Posted August 18, 2012 link

I'll back up what Chris says. During the development of the 15A mode, it was a concern that the alternating heaters would have a negative effect. By design the 15A mode is brew boiler prioritized meaning the steam boiler will be turned off if the PID turned on the brew boiler. 100% control of the brew boiler temperature is maintained in 15A mode.

I ran a lot of tests in both 15 and 20A modes (including simultaneously steaming while pulling a shot) to determine if there was degradation to the steaming performance and found there was no difference in performance. No matter how fast I worked there was no problem keeping up with multiple shots.

Regardless of 15 or 20A mode, the biggest factors I've found with steaming are the setting of the PStat, the depth of the water level sensor and mostly the type of steam tip used.

George
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 8:08am

JeepinGeo Said:

Regardless of 15 or 20A mode, the biggest factors I've found with steaming are the setting of the PStat, the depth of the water level sensor and mostly the type of steam tip used.

Posted August 21, 2012 link

George, thanks for the info on your testing.  It makes me happy to know I'm not missing out on anything.  I'm wondering what mods you did on your PStat and water depth sensor.  

I increased my steam pressure by raising my steam boiler to 260, but other than modifying my steam wand, I haven't change anything else in the steam realm.  For my wand, I pulled out the plastic tube and then added a rubber insulator (from espressoparts) to the wand so I could manipulate it without burning my fingers.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
DarkLlama

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Ceado E37
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 9:37am

On my machine in 15 Amp mode, if I pulled two double shots then steamed my milk, I would loose steam pressure fast as the coffee boiler get priority over the steam boiler.  I have a dedicated 20 Amp outlet so I switched it over to 20 Amp mode and the steam issue went away.

If you are going to be making multiple drinks, even at home, you really need the 20 Amp mode / outlet.
JeepinGeo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto, Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ (x2), Rocky DL
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 8:44am

emradguy Said:

George, thanks for the info on your testing.  It makes me happy to know I'm not missing out on anything.  I'm wondering what mods you did on your PStat and water depth sensor.

Posted August 22, 2012 link

Ah ... just realized you have a Duetto II (no PStat controlling the steam boiler). I have my PStat set at 1.1 Bar. What does your pressure gauge read when you're up to temp?

Water level sensor is adjusted to be as far down as possible. I'm using a Duetto II steam arm with the Isomac 2 hole tip and thread adapter from Chris Coffee, attached to a Quikmill joystick style steam valve.

DarkLlama Said:

On my machine in 15 Amp mode, if I pulled two double shots then steamed my milk, I would loose steam pressure fast as the coffee boiler get priority over the steam boiler.  I have a dedicated 20 Amp outlet so I switched it over to 20 Amp mode and the steam issue went away.

Posted August 22, 2012 link

How low does the brew boiler temp go when you pull a couple shots in a row? Mine seems to recover quickly without hogging all the power to the steam boiler. I do tend to steam smaller quantities of milk (12 oz. pitcher, enough for a couple capa's) and have plenty of power to finish steaming.

An experiment I did early on was to create a hybrid boiler priority system. I attached a micro switch to the steam valve triggered by the position of the rotary valve knob. When steaming started the control to the brew boiler heater SSR was bypassed, making sure the brew boiler did not interrupt power to the steam boiler. This addressed my concern for maintaining full power to the steam boiler during steaming but turned out to make no difference in my ability to steam.

Another 'what if' moment ... If we just had 220 VAC as the standard in the US a lot of devices could run much more efficiently. :)

George
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 2:21pm

bumping the steam boiler temp up to 260 brought my pressure gauge very close to 1.5 bar.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Duetto II steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.418546915054)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+