Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
So my lelit is dead
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > So my lelit is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:41pm
Subject: So my lelit is dead

Regardless of semi-regular descaling and care, I began to hear some steam and see water dripping from inside the machine this past week. Opening up the hood revealed that the boiler has been leaking tinged water from its seal on all sides. Attempting to probe further resulted in the boiler screws snapping off with almost zero pressure, being completely rotted through.

Obviously Im incredibly angry right now, the machine was a gift several years ago and has served me very well though I am unsure its at a practical point for repair (I am quite sure it wouldnt be very cost effective).

I am now looking for a new machine, though I am on a tight budget. I am debating another lelit but also the ascaso steel duo...

Does anybody have any recommendations, or experience to share?

Thanks!

A.C.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 9:30am
Subject: Re: So my lelit is dead

acasabia Said:

Regardless of semi-regular descaling and care, I began to hear some steam and see water dripping from inside the machine this past week. Opening up the hood revealed that the boiler has been leaking tinged water from its seal on all sides. Attempting to probe further resulted in the boiler screws snapping off with almost zero pressure, being completely rotted through.
I am now looking for a new machine, though I am on a tight budget. I am debating another lelit but also the ascaso steel duo...

Thanks!

A.C.

Posted August 19, 2012 link

It looks to me that replacing  the 4 screws and the OR boiler seal should do the trick of giving you back your machine fully functional, and that cannot cost you more than a few dollars...
Ciao, Pietro
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 9:58am

If the leaking is that bad it sounds like he needs a new boiler to me.  But it might not be as costly as you think.  I have not worked on your machine, but I feel sure I could replace my own boiler and I am not all that handy.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
cappuccinoboy

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 12:56pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

If the leaking is that bad it sounds like he needs a new boiler to me.  But it might not be as costly as you think.  I have not worked on your machine, but I feel sure I could replace my own boiler and I am not all that handy.

Posted August 20, 2012 link

OP speaks of "rotted" component : it cannot be the brass boiler, ergo is one of the four zink coated screws (how much better if they were stainless steel...)
Just beeing positive, still even replacing the complete boiler would not break the bank, and prove a lot cheaper than changing machine
Ciao, Pietro
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 1:44pm

acasabia Said:

Thanks!

A.C.

Posted August 19, 2012 link

A.C.,

We are sorry to hear about this. Please email me some internal photos to the sales email address on our web site. Please pinpoint the affected parts.

Typically, a seal can go bad for the following reasons:

a) limescale, b) overheating, c) descaler that is too strong, d) freezing temps that warp the boiler, or e) heavy usage.

I will not be able to determine which was the cause, but hopefully we can get you back on the right track.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 2:11pm

Look at that great offer of help!  Good customer service!

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
acasabia
acasabia

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 9:11pm

1stline Said:

A.C.,

We are sorry to hear about this. Please email me some internal photos to the sales email address on our web site. Please pinpoint the affected parts.

Typically, a seal can go bad for the following reasons:

a) limescale, b) overheating, c) descaler that is too strong, d) freezing temps that warp the boiler, or e) heavy usage.

I will not be able to determine which was the cause, but hopefully we can get you back on the right track.

The machine didnt come from 1stline, though I am looking to you guys for parts. Im pretty sure its a combination overheating/scale build up. If thats the case my guess is a new heating element, boiler seal, and new screws. Im not too sure how Im going to get the old screws out though...

the machine was used for about 2-3 shots a day for the past, descaled using urnex every ~3months.

My fear now is that there may be some electrical implications as well, we will see I guess :(

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

cappuccinoboy

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 9:37am

acasabia Said:

The machine didnt come from 1stline, though I am looking to you guys for parts. Im pretty sure its a combination overheating/scale build up. If thats the case my guess is a new heating element, boiler seal, and new screws. Im not too sure how Im going to get the old screws out though...

the machine was used for about 2-3 shots a day for the past, descaled using urnex every ~3months.

My fear now is that there may be some electrical implications as well, we will see I guess :(

Anthony, I would not ignore 1stLine offer, after all they are official distributors and it is their duty to assist you, even if machine was purchased beforehand.
Do not breack your neck with overheating and limescale build up, the machine has two thermostats, one 95-98 centigrade and the safety 145 (I guess), so even if primary thermostat was broken at 145 you cannot call it overheating, machine was heating regular so heating element is OK (and so are thermostats) , although closer to its working life : they do not last for ever. OR seals can be degraded by aggressive descalers, like say vinegar, still they also do not last forever.
so your damage is minimum, since most probably all you need is one seal and 4 screws, and you need not change machine, although that would be a good excuse, if it did not damage too much your finances...
Ciao, Pietro
acasabia
acasabia

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:35am

cappuccinoboy Said:

...although that would be a good excuse, if it did not damage too much your finances...
Ciao, Pietro

Posted August 21, 2012 link

Well, yes. I think that perhaps I would like to upgrade anyway and I am using this as an excuse to do so. I also do feel a bit shameful about wanting to upgrade because I honestly do love this machine.

That said, I took a few minutes to open the machine back up and look at it, for the ~$12 they cost I would probably replace all of the thermostats, the boiler seal, and the screws. In the case of the screws I would be inclined to head to a hardware store and get some steel ones that match the length though I'm sure I couldn't get the same thread count (I'm not sure if the inside of the boiler mount is threaded though).

A few options Im also considering
  • Fixing this machine with a new boiler seal, screws, thermostats, etc.
  • Fixing this machine with an added PID (Suggestions? please submit here)
  • Buying an Ascaso Steel duo prof, or a Steel Uno w/PID or Crosslands CC1
  • Looking into used dual boilers that would cost more to repair but be much cooler to own.

For now Im going on a yama bender, so life isn't a total drag.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:

Cold Brewing:

D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:45am

I see that the boiler bolts are available from 1st-Line.  I would find out if they have stainless replacements, and if not, get the size and thread.  Most good hardware stores and fastener stores have a large assortment, including metric.  A match should be fairly easy with a few calls.

The coffee tstat looks "screw in."  If the correct size, you could use one of the RTD threaded sensors from Auber.  I have that on Gaggia and works fine and is easy to install.  

I will post on your PID thread.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > So my lelit is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.563581943512)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+