Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How easy is it to take care of a Silvia
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How easy is it...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mikespresso

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 11:20pm
Subject: How easy is it to take care of a Silvia

Hello,

After spending a lot of time reading all the information provided here I have finally decided to enter the world of real espresso and get a Rancilio Silvia and a Rancilio Rocky. The problem is that I live in India and there is no customer support from Rancilio available here; and the investment on the two machines is a pretty substantial amount for me. Could those familiar with the machines tell me how easy/difficult is it to take care of them, o.k. I am an engineer and have access to screw drivers, barometers, thermometers, and the alike. Can the machines be taken care of on just a DIY level or am I doomed to fail and see a couple of months of my savings go down the drain within a short duration of time.

What I am hoping is that the machines last at least 8-10 years with just care that I can provide. Do you think it is possible. Also, could those familiar tell me what are the accessories most likely to need a replacement regularly and which you would recommend I order along with the machines. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help provided here.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:10am
Subject: Re: How easy is it to take care of a Silvia

With just the usual maintenance the machine and the grinder will probably work fine for years to come.

However, both are meant for home use and not heavy commercial use. The more you use them, the worse the wear will be, of course, especially on the pump, the gaskets and the valves.

The usual maintenance includes regular backflushing with detergent (once a week or every 35 shots) and also descaling the machine (the harder the water is you use, the more often you have to descale), and regular cleaning for the grinder (instead of using Grindz for that purpose, which is probably hard to come by in India, you might as well use rice grains).

Whether you're able to do further servicing yourself, largely depends on your DIY skills. It's possible to clean the boiler and exchange spare parts at home as long as you know what you're doing.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:16am

Mikespresso Said:

Could those familiar with the machines tell me how easy/difficult is it to take care of them

Posted August 18, 2012 link

I'm no expert by any means, not like the other coffee geeks, but I also own a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky.
Some people on the forum may wish to correct my advice, but this is what I know so far....

Here's my recommendations:

First of all, the trick to always producing a good coffee is to make sure the machine is clean, clean, clean. This means that you should
always do a post flush on the brew group after every shot to get the grounds off the dispersion screen. As well, to clean the portafilter seal,
one should also do a portafilter "wiggle" as part of that cleaning flush. (That's wiggling the portafilter back and forth loosely to get the
grounds off the seal.) This takes me less than 5 seconds to do.

Get a brush any make sure that you clean off the dispersion screen and the area around it to get any extra grounds out. This takes a second
and can be done during the cleaning flush. You don't have to do this every time you make a shot, I only do this when it's my last shot and I'm
done with the machine.

When you are finished, clean out the portafilter of any leftover grounds and wipe it down with a cloth. Then lightly lock it into the group head.
Don't do a full hard lock when you're not using the machine. Some people leave the portafilter in the grinder, other people leave it sitting on
the drip tray. I personally think that there's no harm in leaving it lightly locked in the group head. It will warm up the portafilter when you
switch on the machine in the morning.

When you are using the steam wand to make a latte or a cappuccino, always wipe the steam wand down with a wet cloth to get the
dried out milk off the wand, then make sure to blast some steam into the water tray to clean out the hole.

Just to let you know, since the Silvia has such a shallow drip tray, make sure to keep a container around so that you can do your flushes
without filling up the tray. You will still need to empty the tray after two shots. Always make sure the tray is empty when you are done.

Now, I backflush my Silvia with water once, once a week. This involves taking a rubber backflushing disk, putting it in the portafilter, running
the pump for about 5-10 seconds until I can hear the pump laboring, then turning it off and watching to see how much stuff comes out of the
three way valve. Some people will say that you shouldn't backflush a Silvia at all due to the nature of the machine and that this could void
your warranty. I disagree. I don't think it will hurt the machine. I wouldn't mind hearing what other forum members have to say.

It is currently my understanding that I should backflush with detergent about once every 50 shots. Since I have two shots a day,
that means I should backflush with detergent about once a month, which sounds about right. Backflushing with detergent is more to
clean the old rancid coffee oils out of the machine so that you get a better quality coffee. When adding detergent, a teaspoon is enough.
I'm not sure what happens if you use too much detergent, but I don't want to find out.

Since where I live has very hard water, I should descale the machine about once every two months. This involves diluting a tablespoon
of Citric Acid per Liter into the water tank, running 1/3rd of the reservoir, letting it sit for 20 minutes, running another 1/3rd, letting it
sit for 20 minutes and then finishing it off, flushing with an entire reservoir of clean water to get the Citric acid out.  This is probably the
most time consuming and difficult part of normal maintenance.

BTW, Since your machine has a boiler, don't use white vinegar to descale the machine. This is a no-no apparently.

I have no idea how hard your water is, so I'm not sure if you have to descale as frequently as I do. I think a serious sign of needing to
descale is if you notice that water is very slow coming out of the group head or the steam wand is anemic. By then though, it
could already be too late and you may require a professional servicing to descale your machine.

Mikespresso Said:

Also, could those familiar tell me what are the accessories most likely to need a replacement regularly

Posted August 18, 2012 link

I'm not sure how often a portafilter gasket needs to be replaced on these machines, but I understand its a wear and tear part. Over time,
this gasket stops becoming flexible and starts getting hard and crunchy. I probably wouldn't replace it unless I noticed the portafilter was
leaking during a shot, even though it was tightened down. Other forum members may want to correct me on this.

The Silvia has been around a very long time and has got a lot of positive reviews for reliability. I've been using mine for nearly two months
now and so far so good. I know it's eventually becoming due for a descaling.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:36am

NobbyR Said:

regular backflushing with detergent (once a week or every 35 shots)

Posted August 19, 2012 link

I'll sheepishly admit that in my previous post, I mentioned every 50 shots.. I guess I'll have to re-read the instructions on the espresso machine detergent bottle.
It explicitly mentions the whole x number of shots vs time thing.

After reading a few threads, there is one consensus. If a machine has a three way solenoid valve... and the Silvia does, regular backflushing is required.

Here's another thread on backflushing.. There are a lot of them on Coffeegeek:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/562491

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:42am

There's even a video by SeattleCoffeeGear on How to Backflush the Rancilio Silvia on YouTube. I always find Gail and Kat highly instructive.

qualin Said:

I'll sheepishly admit that in my previous post, I mentioned every 50 shots.. I guess I'll have to re-read the instructions on the espresso machine detergent bottle.
It explicitly mentions the whole x number of shots vs time thing.  ...

Posted August 19, 2012 link

We learn a little every day. ;-)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How easy is it...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42637014389)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+