Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 8:00am
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

Scotts Said:

Interesting, when I looked in the Consumer Reviews section of CG (on title bar at top of screen), I could not find a product page to post or see reviews.

Posted August 16, 2012 link

It must be part of the Have Blue Project and is therefore Stealth Technology!
 View Profile Link to this post
Scotts

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Valentina
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 8:56am

Hi Everyone- can you please submit a request to add the R58 to the database so people can post reviews?  

Takes 30 seconds to complete this form.

Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 11:27am

The left, steam knob started to come loose.   I had to pry off the 'R' plate on the knob and tighten the nut.

Anthony M
ee61
ee61

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 1:06pm

I will not buy the R58.  I am raising the white flag.  Somewhere deep down this was my "dream" machine.  

I have waited many years for a Rocket Dual boiler with PID.. I was buying it no matter what. I WANTED IT BADLY!  As only luck would have it, I started a new business and have been completely overwhelmed with other priorities and expenditures during its release. So I simply resolved myself to wait and enjoy the reviews as they started to arrive.  Besides, I have learned the hard way that I am sick of being an early adopter of everything. There is ALWAYS some level of challenge or change needed. No matter a car or espresso machine.

I
Will
NOT
Be
Satisfied
with current R58.

I could just imagine R58 giggling over the sound of my screaming.

:O
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 3:45pm

ee61 Said:

I will not buy the R58.  I am raising the white flag.  Somewhere deep down this was my "dream" machine.  

I have waited many years for a Rocket Dual boiler with PID.. I was buying it no matter what. I WANTED IT BADLY!  As only luck would have it, I started a new business and have been completely overwhelmed with other priorities and expenditures during its release. So I simply resolved myself to wait and enjoy the reviews as they started to arrive.  Besides, I have learned the hard way that I am sick of being an early adopter of everything. There is ALWAYS some level of challenge or change needed. No matter a car or espresso machine.

I
Will
NOT
Be
Satisfied
with current R58.

I could just imagine R58 giggling over the sound of my screaming.

:O

Posted August 18, 2012 link

I could not take the feeling of something about to go wrong so that was why I threw in the towel!

I got a pretty good deal on a LM GS/3 MP.  Currently there is a slightly used LM GS/3 for sale in Seattle at http://www.republicespresso.com/#!

I do not think the R-58 is quite ready for prime time, sadly :-(
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 8:59pm

Is anyone else finding it tricky to get pressure from the line to flow before the pump is turned on?

I push up the lever until there is the slightest bit of resistance, and only sometimes this is enough to allow the water from the line pressure to flow.  The amount of force needed to push the lever to get this initial flow is very close to the resistance of the button pushed by the lobe to activate the pump.  I was thinking of screwing the button in a bit deeper so the lever has to come up farther for it to engage?

Anthony M
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 5:54am

AnthonyM Said:

Is anyone else finding it tricky to get pre-infusion from the line pressure flow before the pump is turned on?

I push up the lever until there is the slightest bit of resistance, and only sometimes this is enough to allow the water from the line pressure to flow.  The amount of force needed to push the lever to get this initial flow is very close to the resistance of the button pushed by the lobe to activate the pump.  I was thinking of screwing the button in a bit deeper so the lever has to come up farther for it to engage?

Posted August 18, 2012 link

I only had the R-58 a month but in that time I back flushed it once with cleaner and the lever got very stiff in spite of rinsing/flushing with clear water several times.  Whatever lube they used on the group head was pretty wimpy not to take a by the book cleaning once!  Up until that time I could get pre infusion with 2 bars of line pressure very easily but after cleaning moving the lever made it pretty tough.
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 11:53am

BLrdFX Said:

I only had the R-58 a month but in that time I back flushed it once with cleaner and the lever got very stiff in spite of rinsing/flushing with clear water several times.  Whatever lube they used on the group head was pretty wimpy not to take a by the book cleaning once!  Up until that time I could get pre infusion with 2 bars of line pressure very easily but after cleaning moving the lever made it pretty tough.

Posted August 19, 2012 link

I haven't had any problem with a "stiff lever," but I did lubricate the shaft using some DuPont Teflon Multi-Use spray, which I also use for my motorcycle chain.

I've found that loosening the nut around the pump button allows it to recess further into the machine.  This allows the lever to go up farther before the button activates the pump, allowing just the pressure from the line to flow first.  The button is a little loose now, however.  I took off the top of the machine, but there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of tightening it from behind.  It's awkward to get at from the top, and I can't see a nut on the inside.  I'd have to take the button out, put another nut on the inside, and put it back in.  I'll save that for another day.

I also found a "trick" for using the PID controller to disable the pump.  If the controller is in "configuration mode," it appears the pump won't turn on, even if you have the lever all the way up.   You can put the controller in this mode, push the lever all the way up, then water from the line pressure will flow.  Then when you hit the button on the PID controller to exit the configuration mode, the pump instantly turns on.  A bit cumbersome, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm getting some some great shots.   I'm still waiting for the naked portafilter, which was backordered, so I'm still guessing when to switch on the pump.

I got some great shots out of the Silvia, but the inconsistency made it difficult to experiment with variations in grind, dosage, and temperature.   I'm liking the ability to take a more systematic approach to with the new machine.

Anthony M
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 1:25pm

Good find AnthonyM!!  I knew that there was much to be said for the machine and that PID adjustment and the switch adjustment should make a positive difference!
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 1:55pm

Pre-infusion is built into the Rocket's E61 group.  So, you shouldn't have to do anything special to use pre-infusion. The group head has a small chamber built in to it to hold water for pre-infusion.  Raising the lever to the notch point or just below the notch will start the pre-infusion process and the pump will stay off.  Raising the lever above the notch point will turn on the pump and start the brew cycle.  This is explained in the instructions.  I assume the R58 is using Rocket's standard E61 group, so this should work on the R58.
showing page 12 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.481359958649)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+