Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Why I Love My Gaggia Classic - A Perfect Choice for Beginners
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Why I Love My...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
midwestnowaves

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:02am
Subject: Re: Why I Love My Gaggia Classic - A Perfect Choice for Beginners

Thanks for the quick reply. As a non-handy person supporting a family of four it's a little scary going into this decision when there are entire threads on CoffeeGeek dedicated to Gaggia corrosion!

I appreciate your expertise.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:08am

midwestnowaves Said:

Thanks for the quick reply. As a non-handy person supporting a family of four it's a little scary going into this decision when there are entire threads on CoffeeGeek dedicated to Gaggia corrosion!

I appreciate your expertise.

Posted August 8, 2012 link

Haven't see those threads but I have 3 friends with Classics, two at home and one in an office with no problems and I know one is at least 6 years old if not older. One did have one of the units replaced but nothing to do with the corrosion, just one of those "built on a monday" machines lol. We don't really have hard water, but I still use the fridge filtered water poured into a Brita filter container for the machines. I've descaled and barely noticed any deposits doing it that way.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 12:44pm

CMIN Said:

Haven't see those threads but I have 3 friends with Classics, two at home and one in an office with no problems and I know one is at least 6 years old if not older. One did have one of the units replaced but nothing to do with the corrosion, just one of those "built on a monday" machines lol. We don't really have hard water, but I still use the fridge filtered water poured into a Brita filter container for the machines. I've descaled and barely noticed any deposits doing it that way.

Posted August 8, 2012 link

I've had my Classic for 5 years, and bought it secondhand, and somewhat used, off of eBay. I've used it approximately daily for a couple of shots, and descaled occasionally - probably not as often as it should/could be done.  I've had no issues with it with regard to corrosion, despite previously living in a very hard water area (Oxford, UK, where the water runs through chalk hills before hitting the aquifers).
midwestnowaves

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 1:15pm

That's good to know. The reason I was leaning toward the Classic (as well as the price point) was ease of use vs the Silvia - as a dad with two young kids and too many jobs I don't have time to mess around with temperature surfing as some have said is needed on the Silvia. The only reasons I was considering the Silvia were the brass boiler and better steam, though I see you can mod the Gaggia wand and get decent steam.

Thanks for your perspective. I'll probably bite the bullet and get the Classic now. Which grinder would be better out of the Gaggia MDF, Baratza Virtuoso or Breville Smart Grinder (with shim kit for finer grind)? Looks like the Breville is easy to use but again, I'm concerned about durability with the grinder.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 7:40am

You do get benefits from temperature surfing on the Classic as well, but I believe it's a little less finickity than the Silvia when you do it.  Both can be fitted with a PID kit to eliminate that factor, but the cost of a new Silvia with a PID kit is more than a number of higher level machines, or machines with PID control designed in (e.g. CC1).
midwestnowaves

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 7:56am

Thanks for the additional info. I'd like to retrofit the Classic with a Silvia V2 wand. Can someone point me in the direction of instructions to do this (video or print)?
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 9:25am

midwestnowaves Said:

Thanks for the additional info. I'd like to retrofit the Classic with a Silvia V2 wand. Can someone point me in the direction of instructions to do this (video or print)?

Posted August 10, 2012 link

Lots of information on the steam wand upgrade and everything else Gaggia here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 9:32am

With this part

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=1882631

it is an exchange of the nuts.  Remove the Gaggia wand and remove the nut from it.  I did not have to cut of bend the Gaggia wand.  Remove the rubber insulation from the Rancilio wand and the nut comes off, and replace with Gaggia and replace it.  It really is that easy.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Why I Love My...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.425629854202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+