Espresso: Espresso Machines
Suggestions on what machine to buy?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Suggestions on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:53pm
Subject: Re: Suggestions on what machine to buy?

Well, just like with any other machine you'll have to use freh beans, dial in the grinder and adjust its setting as required (sometimes daily) to get the right extraction. The four "M"s of espresso making apply to a superautomatic, too.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
jttran28

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 8:16am

Update:
After using the Jura ENA 9 fora bout a week, I have decided to return it and go with one of the three that were recommended with a PID built in.  Reasons for returning are as follows;

Cons:
Does not heat milk past 150 degrees
No control of how much milk and foam are in coffee
Lots of upkeeping to keep machine clean
Can't really customize much.  

Pro:
Easy to use

I should have listened to you experts!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:01am

I am so not doing the "I told you so" dance right now.  :)  However, espresso machines are messy and most of the time you don't want to go above 150 on the milk, it scalds it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jttran28

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 9:18am

So are you telling me to keep it since the milk temp is right and its easy to clean?  I like my milk around 165 degrees.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:01am

jttran28 Said:

So are you telling me to keep it since the milk temp is right and its easy to clean?  I like my milk around 165 degrees.

Posted August 8, 2012 link

That's actually not good, you don't really want to heat milk past 150 degree's or so as now the milk is being scalded and "burnt" if that makes sense. I think most stop lower and let the milk rise, i.e. I generally stop frothing around 130 or so and the milk will rise in temp on my thermometer on it's own to about 140-150 which is ideal and taste great, when I've frothed to 150 and then turned it off the milk taste odd and burnt. Once you get used to it though you just go by feel of heat and time.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 5:53pm

I would never suggest you keep that one. But I was giving you a general milk guide line and why it is recommended.  But you have more flexibility with a non super auto machine and you can caramelize your milk if you wish.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 12:35am

GVDub Said:

On a geologic time scale, all human technology is disposable ...

Posted August 2, 2012 link

And life is ultimately deadly. But an espresso machine like a mid level SBDU or even prosumer HX are worth repairing. Most superautos simply are not, because the cost of repairs would come close to (or even exceed) the price of a new machine.

jttran28 Said:

... After using the Jura ENA 9 fora bout a week, I have decided to return it and go with one of the three that were recommended with a PID built in.  ... I should have listened to you experts!

Posted August 8, 2012 link

IMHO a very good decision.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Clancey

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 7:51am

Hi Jttran28,

Here is what I would look at.  I have used both

- Rancilio Silvia and Rocky Grinder Package, you can find for approx. $950. You can pid this as well.  Many on the CG forum will swear by this. Not fully auto, but after a little practice you and your wife will love this.

- Breville Barista Express - with Grinder 860XL- you can purchase for approx. $600- as a built in grinder.  Not as performance oriented as the Rancilio, but a friend has one and with fresh beans it produces good espresso and very easy to product microfoam.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 8:15am

Clancey Said:

... - Breville Barista Express - with Grinder 860XL- you can purchase for approx. $600- as a built in grinder ...

Posted August 9, 2012 link

You have to be careful with an integrated grinder: most are of inferior quality, and the heat of the boiler can lead to warming of the coffee beans stored in the hopper, which degrades their aroma.

jttran28

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 8:51am

NobbyR Said:

You have to be careful with an integrated grinder: most are of inferior quality, and the heat of the boiler can lead to warming of the coffee beans stored in the hopper, which degrades their aroma.

Posted August 9, 2012 link

I am considering the coastland cc1 or the acaso uno pid.  Not sure on which grinder yet.  I hope I'm making the right decision.
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Suggestions on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.46204996109)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+