Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Oscar help!!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Oscar help!!  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
javajueckstock
javajueckstock
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: na
Drip: aeropress,
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:13am
Subject: Oscar help!!

Hello,
I bought a used Oscar and my espresso quality has been degrading for the last few months. No matter which espresso beans I use, I am getting very fast extractions.  It starts nice, then turns to a blonde gusher in about 5 seconds.  I descaled my machine, thinking maybe it is not getting up to temperature, but it didn't help.  I finally gave up and took it apart.  Here are two photos of the boiler, you can see how there is a crust around both sides, is there a way to take this apart and clean it, or am I beating a dead horse?

javajueckstock: boiler1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
javajueckstock
javajueckstock

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:14am
Subject: Re: Oscar help!!

here's the other photo

javajueckstock: boiler2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:24am

Since you have it out it will be easy to clean with some citric acid or packaged descale solution.

Generally if a machine is producing gushers I personally would start with adjusting the grinder finer, the Vario might need to be recalibrated finer.you should be able to chock the Oscar with a Vario if it is calibrated correctly.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:25am

Yes, you could take it apart and clean or replace if needed.  Look at the Oscar parts diagram on espressoparts.com or NS USA site.  Both will sell you the boiler and heating element.  I think you can find photos of full Oscar descales on this site or H-B.  Your machine probably needs a good cleaning.  Re-insulation of the boiler as well.

However, a blond gusher is normally grind or puck handling.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:35am

Your Vario pry needs to be calibrated or not on a setting for good espresso grind like German said. Did you check the calibration on it? Boiler wouldn't really be causing that issue though it does need a good cleaning and insulation.
javajueckstock
javajueckstock

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:36am

Thanks, I adjusted the vario as tight as I could and ground it down to baby powder consistency, but it just dribbles, then gushes.  I thought maybe it was my tamping, but I have always had good espresso and I haven't changed anything in how I tamp or distribute.  I agree, I would always start with the grind and the tamp...I have only had the Vario for a year, I have cleaned it twice, I don't think I should have to change the burrs yet...

The machine is trashed on the inside, rust, debris, I can't even take the ABS cover off...sigh.  That is why I finally just took it apart, I figured I would never know if it was leaking or where unless I disassembled it.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:59am

javajueckstock Said:

Thanks, I adjusted the vario as tight as I could and ground it down to baby powder consistency, but it just dribbles, then gushes.  I thought maybe it was my tamping, but I have always had good espresso and I haven't changed anything in how I tamp or distribute.  I agree, I would always start with the grind and the tamp...I have only had the Vario for a year, I have cleaned it twice, I don't think I should have to change the burrs yet...

The machine is trashed on the inside, rust, debris, I can't even take the ABS cover off...sigh.  That is why I finally just took it apart, I figured I would never know if it was leaking or where unless I disassembled it.

Posted August 5, 2012 link

Sounds like you ground it fine enough to almost choke if it's dripping, but the gushing part right after is odd. No way you have to replace the burrs, those are ceramic flat burrs, ton of life and durability in them. How old is the Oscar if it's that trashed?

How fresh are the beans your using?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 10:21am

Mine did that dribbling and gushing right before I replaced my pump.  But it sounded funny also.  I suggest you clean the whole thing and insulate the boiler. Clean and check all the valves and then put it back together and give it a shot.  I think your Oscar is probably worth fixing.  If nothing leaks, clean and rust coat the frame.  I had to do that on a 2 year old Oscar.  It was just drips filling the tank in the back I believe.  Use pipe sealant goop.  Not tape.

Coffeenoobie

javajueckstock
javajueckstock

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 10:24am

I just got the beans in the mail Friday, the Oscar is old, can't tell from the tag.  Here is a photo of the inside, minus the boiler

javajueckstock: Oscar1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 9:19pm

so, so does the boiler have a reset button and what Pstat do you have?  Mine is 3 years old and it has the new pstat and no reset button on the boiler.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Oscar help!!  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.539650917053)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+