Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine recommendation: Expobar DB Brewtus 4 or Quickmill DB 67
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 7:25am
Subject: Machine recommendation: Expobar DB Brewtus 4 or Quickmill DB 67

Which one would you buy mainly for espresso & steam 4-8 ounces milk 3-6 times a week ?

Expobar Brewtus 4 vibe with 1250 watt 1.8L boilers
PID equipped but uses a press stat (tend to go bad) for the steam boiler
Steam has been reported to be slower than comparable machines
Espressso has been said to be very good
Smaller footprint
Service from only one vendor with reports of so so parts avail/service  

Quickmill 67 vibe, .75L brew and .85L steam 1400watt boiler, smaller but higher wattage could mean better recovery
Dual PID, uses no press stat
Smaller footprint
New machine on the market with no track record
Vendor parts/service normally well regarded    

The Alex is to big and the Spaz are 53mm so those are out.  

Thanks, WS
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 11:33am
Subject: Re: Machine recommendation: Expobar DB Brewtus 4 or Quickmill DB 67

Buy the one you like the looks of best.

P stats are not a big deal, I have been using machines with them for years without any sign of an issue. My personal opinion is that a big deal is made of them wearing out to justify adding a PID to a machine that really will not gain any benefit from having one  (such as on a HX machine)..... a gimmick.

That is not to say that a PID is of no value, or that a P stat can not wear out, that is not true at all, PIDs when used in the proper place like  on a DB  or SBDU machine they do affect and make a very positive improvement in the quality and temp of the water but on a machine like a HX, in my personal opinion they are a gimmick.

From wikipedia  In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature. It began, however, as a slang term for something that a con artist or magician had his assistant manipulate to make appearances different from reality. Such things as the manipulating of a gaming wheel led to the idea of a "gimmick" being used.

Yes I know your question is on DB machines, but as you mentioned the Pstat wearing out as an issue, I really felt the need to "defend" them.

Sorry if any offense was taken by anyone.

Back to your question, this is a personal decision like I said above and what I have often said is to sit down and make a list of your desired features without any machine in mind, then shop the market place to find the machine that best fits your needs. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 3:32pm

calblacksmith said: Buy the one you like the looks of best.

So are you saying performance/features are about equal ?

WS
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 2:05pm

Only you can say what features are important and not important to you. Not that one is better than the other.

Without having ANY machine in mind, make out a list of what you want in a machine. Then compare your list to these specs (you are not limited to these two machines but they are the ones you referenced.)

They both should do a great job for you. My personal preference when looking at this class of machine   is for plumb in and volumetric dosing (if possible) Both features make use of the machine much easier even if you need to run an external water bottle for both water supply and drainThose are things that I look for and are important to ME so neither of these machines would be on MY list!  YMMV!

From WLL http://www.wholelattelove.com/Expobar/exbrew_4.cfm
Expobar Brewtus IV with Vibration Pump
Specifications
Housing
Housing Material   Stainless Steel
Drip Tray   Stainless Steel
Drip Tray Cover   Stainless Steel
Boiler Data
Material   Copper
Wattage   1250 @ 125v
Volume   1.7 each Boiler (2 Boilers)
Brew Group Data
Material   Brass Chrome Plated
Pump Data
Type   Vibration
Maximum Pressure   16
Pump Wattage   47
Brewing Pressure   8-9 bars
Controls
Switches   lever
Programmable   No
Auto-Extraction   no
Pre-Infusion   yes
Ready Lights   LCD display w/pressure
Thermostats   PID Brew Temp & Pressure
Back Pressure Relief Valve   yes
Burn Out Protection   2 Manula reset high temperature
Cup Warmer
Size   10x10
Passive/Active   Passive
Portafilter Data
Type   Commercial
Material   Chrome Plated Brass
Handle   Plastic
Weight   16 oz
Diameter   58 mm
Filter Basket Material   Stainless Steel
Filter Baskets Included   Single & double shot

From Chris coffee: http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/qm67
Features

High-quality stainless steel construction #304
   E-61 commercial group
   Cup warmer
   Hinged cover - No need to remove the cup warming tray to refill the water tank
   Easy access expansion valve - No need to remove the outer shell to adjust
   PID controller for the group boiler (with 1.0 degree Celsius or Fahrenheit adjustment)
   PID controller also controls the steam boiler temperature (and thus pressure)
   Programmable offset differential
   Boiler pressure gauge
   Group pressure gauge
   Power and heater lights
   Power switches for the coffee and steam boiler
   Stainless steel steam and hot water arms
   1.0mm two hole steam tip
   Large pull-out stainless drip tray
   Water reservoir
   Dual insulated copper boilers
   Ulka 52 watt vibratory pump with thermal overload protection
   Pulsor equipped to the pump, equalizing pump pressure and improves noiselessness
   Resettable hi-limit to protect the heating element
   High-quality expansion valve for easy adjustment of brew pressure
   Easy-to-remove outer shell makes for easy service if necessary
   Control board and transformer
   Low water sensors
   15 amp
   Complete downloadable User Manual

Dimensions & Specifications
Model Width Depth Height Steam Boiler Capacity Steam Boiler Heater Size Group Boiler Capacity Group Boiler Heater Size Voltage Amperage Weight
Dual Boiler
QM67 11" 17" 15 1/2" .80 Liters 1400 watts .75 Liters 800 watts 110 volt 15 amp 50 lbs

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

nhokt

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012, 8:30pm

I appear to be in the exact same spot as you, choosing between the Brewtus IV and QM67.

I have a small spot current occupied by my PID'd Silvia and both of these machines are fairly small in size. Hoping some others can chime in with thoughts.
pizzaman383

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 6:27am

It seems that getting a DB to work right has taken some experimentation and iteration.  It is not clear that QuickMill and Rocket have done that before introduction.  

Right now, I would recommend getting a DB that has been on the market for more than a year.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 9:12am

I must politely take exception to the above. There is no magic in making a DB machine and both the manufacturers have been making espresso machines for a LONG time, I would not hesitate to purchase either of these machines if they were what I was looking for.

If either manufacturer had a history of producing low quality machines, then concern is warranted such as in the case of Brevelle but even with them, the track record so far has been more positive than negative so while I can not give two thumbs up on the BDB... yet, ECM, Rockett, Quickmill and Expobar make quality products and I would be extremely supprised if a DB machine from them would have any issues.

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:20am

I would trust both brands BUT I think it is a good point that they just came out with that DB.  I think it is important he is made aware he would be getting a new model and not a design they have made forever.   There may yet be bugs to work out.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
morik

Espresso: QM67/Twist
Grinder: Vario-W/Preciso/SlimMill
Drip: V60/AeroPress
Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 9:42pm

I would also like to add in addition to the manufacturers build quality history, the reputation of the resellers that are selling the QM67 have been proven to stand behind there products so I think as long as you feel comfortable and have a good relationship with your chosen vendor, they will support you with any problem you have.  Not many consumer appliances come with a two year warranty so i think that shows a lot how much they believe in their products.

I bought my CC1 knowing there was not many on the market, but having a guy like Bill Crossland standing behind his product I was comfortable with my purchase and found out I was correct in my decision when he helped me out personally with a emergency parts order to get me up and running in time for some special guests I was expecting.  I love how this community is so tight and helpful to each other and has drawn me even closer to coffee as a hobby.
pizzaman383

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012, 5:18pm

I am not talking about reputaton for manufacturer quality or about supplier support.  Those matter and they are worth considering.

The heat management and water flow characteristics of a PID-controlled brew boiler is very different than what goes on in a heat exchanger or a thermostat-controlled SBDU.  The Vibiemme and Expobar (and I think the Izzo and GS3) have needed design tweaks after experience was gained from extended use of the initial designs.  The Breville DB also underwent extended design reviewsbandbtweaks prior to worldwide release.  These are not just opinions.

I am suggesting based on these facts that the likelihood of the new crop of DBs also needing some tweaks after a v1 design is fairly high.  If one makes an educated decision based on awareness of the risk then no problem.  I bought a VBM DB v2 and had fun tweaking it myself to address the design shortcomings.  If one wants to reduce that risk then they will buy a proven (and already tweaked) design.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404356002808)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+