Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 5:04pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

MartyRey Said:

First, go to McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and order a British Standard Threaded Brass Pipe Fitting, 1/8 Pipe Size, NPT Female X BSPT Male Adapter (part number 4860K141). This costs $4.99 and will cost another $5 for UPS ground shipping. This is the "critical part" that is hard to figure out that you need this specific part and probably can only be obtained online from a large plumbing supply warehouse.

Second, go to Home Depot and purchase a Watts Quick-Connect Adapter 1/4 in OD x 1/8 in MIP (part number PL-3004), a Watts Quick Connect Coupling 3/8 x 1/4 OD (part number PL-3021), and a Watts Quick Connect Tee Connector 3/8 in OD (part number PL-3023). Also get some plastic tubing in 3/8 in OD size and some plumbing tape.

Using some teflon tape, connect one end of the braided hose (supplied by Rocket) to the back of the machine. Connect the other end of the braided hose to your brass British Threaded to NPT Threaded adapter from McMaster-Carr. Then, again using teflon tape, connect this to your Watts PL-3004 Quick Connect Adapter. Insert in a short segment of 1/4 OD plastic tubing from this to the Watts PL-3021 Coupling which converts the 1/4 OD size up to a 3/8 OD size. Then connect your 3/8 plastic tubing and run this all the way to the water filtration system, presumably under your kitchen sink. You can tie into the output line of your water filtration system by using the Watts PL-3023 Tee Connector.

Posted July 19, 2012 link

Thanks for the research!
 View Profile Link to this post
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 5:13pm

Excellent information, thanks.  Did you consider using a larger diameter hose?   Some users are experiencing pump noise in their Evo and R58 installations.  One recommendation was to increase the hose size to reduce back pressure when the pump runs.
chriscoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012, 12:05pm

Unfortunately these machines are NOT doing well in shipping. As good as the packaging inside Rockets box LOOKS, and all the effort we go to prevent damage, we are not having very good luck. We shipped out 10 machines last week and 4 of the 10 were damaged. We take the feet off, use sealed air, double box, using foam corners, and still they get damaged. Unless Rocket does something different in how they build the frames these machines are going to have to be shipped via common carrier. Common carrier is not always very convenient for the customer since someone has to be there to accept the delivery and some common carrier drivers are not always very helpful. Additionally this is going to add to the cost of the machine.

Chris Nachtrieb, Pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012, 12:50pm

chriscoffee Said:

Unfortunately these machines are NOT doing well in shipping. As good as the packaging inside Rockets box LOOKS, and all the effort we go to prevent damage, we are not having very good luck. We shipped out 10 machines last week and 4 of the 10 were damaged. We take the feet off, use sealed air, double box, using foam corners, and still they get damaged. Unless Rocket does something different in how they build the frames these machines are going to have to be shipped via common carrier. Common carrier is not always very convenient for the customer since someone has to be there to accept the delivery and some common carrier drivers are not always very helpful. Additionally this is going to add to the cost of the machine.

Chris Nachtrieb, Pres.
Chris' Coffee Service, Inc.

Posted July 20, 2012 link

Thanks for the confirmation Chris!

I am awaiting Rocket #2, which will be shipped by Common Carrier this time.  Perhaps I should have purchased a different machine, say an Izzo Alex Duetto II, or something else.
lozinsky

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 3:30pm

Anyone else waiting for an R58 and have any idea why they are taking so long to arrive at various retailers in Canada/US?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 8:29am

lozinsky Said:

Anyone else waiting for an R58 and have any idea why they are taking so long to arrive at various retailers in Canada/US?

Posted July 23, 2012 link

It shouldn't take more than a few weeks for your R58 to come if it's in stock in your country. If it's coming from Europe, then expect about a month for it to arrive (Customs will be involved).
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 6:18am

I received my R58 2 days ago and I think there's a problem with it: The service boiler temperature was set at 125 degrees when the recommended temperature in the manual is @118. When I changed the temp to 118, the steam pressure drops to about 6 bars.

Firmware from 8/5/2012.

For those who have the R58, what are your default settings? My default pump pressure is set at 8.5 bars.
Bgosselin

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 7:39pm

Hello,

New member. I received my R58 today.  Just finished the installation.  Service boiler was set at 118 but steam was not very powerfull. I had .7 bar only.  Cranked it up to 122 and now get 1 bar.  I try a 4 hole tip, the original 2 hole and the 2 hole with smaller hole. I got the best result with the last one.

Still trying to adjust coffee grind and temp to my liking.  My baratza vario is almost at it finess setting and still my shots seem to fast.  My other machine is a mini vivaldi s1.

Bought my R58 in montreal at FAEMA.  They received only two and both were sold quickly.  Machine was not damage and is very quiet.  No rattling sound.n this thing is very shinny.  Love it so far.
RoryM

Espresso: Rocket R58, La Marzocco GS3...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 6:41pm

I have had my R58 for a month and a half now. It is a beautiful machine. I upgraded from an Isomac Tea V1, which I loved. I drink a lot of lattes and wanted more steam power. So far I have been happy with the machine but have not been able to pull any decent shots for the life of me. I could routinely pull amazing 2oz shots with thick columns of crema in 25 to 30 sec range on my Tea. I have been trying everything from different tamping techniques to grind settings to different espresso blends from local roasters in San Francisco. All of the beans I use are under a week and a half old. I have played around with pump pressure ranging from 8 to 9.5 bars and different temperature settings. Nothing seems to work. My shots are not showing signs of channeling. The espresso comes out of my naked portafilter very watery and blonds in the 12 sec range. If I grind very fine I can get a semi decent column of crema but the shot is in the 40 to 50 second range and is very bitter tasting. The only thing I can think of that differs from the Isomac Tea on the brew side is the rotary pump vs vibe pump. It is my understanding that a rotary pump delivers instant pressure where a vibe pump takes 7 seconds or so to build up to max brewing pressure. Have others with an R58 been able to pull amazing thick syrupy shots? Any advice for what I might be doing wrong? I haven been using a double shot basket that came with the machine.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 6:51pm

I gave up on the R-58 because of the weird noise I encountered made me very uneasy about it's longevity.  I could get good shots but had to switch from my old faithful Peet's to a different blend from a local roaster.  My wife and I both still like the one of Peet's decaf(yeah, I know, why drink decaf) but for the morning lift off with the rocket I switched roasters.

I waited for the second Rocket but with shipping issues and just the overall hassle I gave up and sent everything, even the Ceado E-37 grinder, back.  Ceado is being replaced with a Mazzer.  Not sure what to replace the Rocket with but in the meantime my almost 7 year old Rancilio Silvia will have to do :-(
showing page 10 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.498692989349)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+