Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Troubleshooting Isomac millennium: shots are taking longer to pull
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Troubleshooting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Hector

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:41pm
Subject: Troubleshooting Isomac millennium: shots are taking longer to pull

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum.  I have had an Isomac Millennium for 9 years now.  This morning I noticed that my shots are taking double the time to pull.  I normally pull them in 25 seconds and now they are taking about 40 to 50 seconds.  The coffee taste sour  -  not good.  There has been no change in the beans, grind or anything else.  Everything ran fine yesterday.  I have this system plumbed into the house water supply and have 2 in-line filters (charcoal and ion-exchange).  I typically brew coffee at home 2 - 3 times a day and have never encountered this particular issue.

Here are some observations:
  1. The boiler pressure is where i normally have it: 1.1 to 1.25 bar.  The pressure stat was replaced with a Jaeger unit within the last 2 years.
  2. I observed that back flushing is a little less intense than it normally is.  I am gauging this qualitatively by the lower sound that it makes.
  3. I evaluated the group pressure using a blind portafilter with a pressure gauge.  It registered about 8.5 bar.  I have never used one of these before and do not know what pressure I should have.  
  4. I tried increasing the grind size but the shots still took a long time and ran very thin implying poor extraction.
  5. I also tested the hardness of the water leaving the group head.  It was low suggesting that I should not have a scaling issue.  

I am not sure if I have a pump issue, expansion valve issue, solenoid value issue, blockage or other.  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hector

Hector: photo-1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
greattemper
greattemper

Espresso: Andreja Premium by quickmill
Grinder: Lelit
Roaster: Popcorn
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 1:20pm
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting Isomac millennium: shots are taking longer to pull

Did you observe any change in the flow during the cooling flush?  cc/min - this is easy, just measure how long does it take to fill up 30cc water without the PF. this will give an indication if scale is building up in the GH. I suspect this is the reason for your problem due to the flow not being effected by increasing the grind size.
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 2:26pm

I was also thinking it might be a scale related problem

When was the last time you descaled?
Even with water treatments, you still need periodic descaling.
If its been a long time, its possible a hunk of scale broke loose, and is now clogging something.

Randy
Hector

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 6:40pm

I just measured the flow rate without the PF.  I measured 100mL/min.  Does this seem correct?

I have never descaled before either.  I assumed that it was not an issue since I have always used filtered and softened water.  It seems that I should attempt to descale first.  I have heard that people use citric acid to descale.  Are there any recommendations for descalers (citric acid or other), concentrations to use and how long to descale for?  I am not sure how the process works.  I appreciate the help.  Thank you!!!

Hector
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 7:07pm

So that's about 3 oz in a min?

This sounds REALLY slow, you must have a blockage somewhere.

Here's a thread about descaling, and there are many others
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I just descaled my machine this weekend, it was pretty easy.  You may have a little more work in front of you, because you machine is plumbed in, you need to feed it from another water source.

Also, descaling is meant as preventative maintanance, it may take a lot of work to fix it at this point.

Good luck
Randy
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:54pm

Hector Said:

... I have never descaled before either.  I assumed that it was not an issue since I have always used filtered and softened water ...

Posted July 15, 2012 link

Using filtered water can deminish calcifications, but it doesn't deliver you from regular descaling.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Hector

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 6:13pm

Thanks everyone for the help.  I was able to fixed the problem and am somewhat embarrassed to the admit the root cause.  

I removed the machine from its spot in the kitchen and was about to begin dissembling . . but then thought to check the water line feeding the unit.  In order to remove the machine, I had to close a valve on the incoming stream.  I then took a large container and opened the valve to fill it and in the process measured the flow rate.  Only a trickle of water came.  I did some further investigating and noticed two kinks in the line.  I am not sure how the kinks got there but that solved the problem.  I am back in business.

I now get about 500mL per minute out of the group head.  I will follow everyone's advice and descale the unit soon.  I have had the unit for nine years now without descaling - it's about time.  Thanks again.

-hector
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 2:20am

Hector Said:

... I did some further investigating and noticed two kinks in the line.  I am not sure how the kinks got there but that solved the problem.  I am back in business ...

Posted July 16, 2012 link

Never mind. A simple solution like that is better than a defective machine after all. However, regular descaling is still a good idea.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Troubleshooting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397466897964)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+