Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

ESL Said:

I would post a picture but do not know how to shrink it to acceptable size.

Posted July 15, 2012 link

Hi Eric, I use shrink pictures to resize images online. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ESL
ESL
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer MINI
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:51am

Thanks

ESL: phpHQXJ3iAM.jpg
 View Profile Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:52am

ESL Said:

Thanks

OUCH!  That looks like it was dropped on the drip tray legs.
ESL
ESL

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:54am

Another view:

ESL: phptPkyihAM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
ESL
ESL

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:57am

BLrdFX Said:

Sounds like it was damaged in shipping.  How did the exterior of the shipping box look?  Munched from dropping it??

Where did you purchase it?

Box was perfect.  I think the welds are not well done.  The solder is too thick, especially in the middle.
I got it from Chris and will be calling in the am since they are closed for the weekend.  Their customer service has been exemplary so I am not too worried.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:58am

ESL Said:

Box was perfect.  I think the welds are not well done.  The solder is too thick, especially in the middle.
I got it from Chris and will be calling in the am since they are closed for the weekend.  Their customer service has been exemplary so I am not too worried.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  Amazing that the box looked good!!!??!!!
ee61
ee61

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 11:24am

That is a serious heart breaker indeed.  My current concern for you is that Chris Coffee is out of additional machines according to his website.

Please keep us posted. I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction asap.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
itsmesteven

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Vario mkII
Vac Pot: Hario syphon
Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 1:40pm

Read about a same issue in a Swedish coffee forum. He bought a Rocket Giotto from Bella barista in UK and when he unboxed it he saw the welds was cracked and drip tray was pointing up . Even hes second machine from Bella Barista was cracked. I believe this is a common issue w Rocket machines and they should redesign they package layout.

I hope Chris will sorted for you.
MartyRey

Espresso: Rockett Espresso R58
Grinder: Baratza Varo
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 3:42pm

If you don't already know this, Rocket Espresso ships the R58 (as well as their other Evoluzione models) to the US with the correct electrical plug for North America, but all of the water supply line plumbing connection are British Standard Thread (different angles, different thread pitch) which will not connect to the US plumbing lines.

The manual doesn't provide information regarding this and visually you can't tell see as the differences are subtle to the naked eye. You discover something is wrong when you try to screw in connections and discover you can only take one or two turns on the threads before they bind. The end result in stripped threads and a leaking connection.

If you hire a plumber to make this connection, it is highly unlikely they will have the very specific and rare adapter with them to change the BST (British) connection to a NPT (North American) connection. A good plumber will stop and tell you that you need this part (and finding it, obtaining it, will be challenging and time-consuming). A not-so-good plumber will try to make it work with tape and glue and you will end up with a job that is not done correctly and will be prone to leaks.

Even if you are not a do-it-yourselfer, I'd suggest getting the parts below for your plumber to use. If you are handy, doing it yourself is not that difficult with the proper parts. The setup below presumes you will be connecting your espresso machine to a water filtration system that has an output in plastic 3/8 inch tubing.

First, go to McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and order a British Standard Threaded Brass Pipe Fitting, 1/8 Pipe Size, NPT Female X BSPT Male Adapter (part number 4860K141). This costs $4.99 and will cost another $5 for UPS ground shipping. This is the "critical part" that is hard to figure out that you need this specific part and probably can only be obtained online from a large plumbing supply warehouse.

Second, go to Home Depot and purchase a Watts Quick-Connect Adapter 1/4 in OD x 1/8 in MIP (part number PL-3004), a Watts Quick Connect Coupling 3/8 x 1/4 OD (part number PL-3021), and a Watts Quick Connect Tee Connector 3/8 in OD (part number PL-3023). Also get some plastic tubing in 3/8 in OD size and some plumbing tape.

Using some teflon tape, connect one end of the braided hose (supplied by Rocket) to the back of the machine. Connect the other end of the braided hose to your brass British Threaded to NPT Threaded adapter from McMaster-Carr. Then, again using teflon tape, connect this to your Watts PL-3004 Quick Connect Adapter. Insert in a short segment of 1/4 OD plastic tubing from this to the Watts PL-3021 Coupling which converts the 1/4 OD size up to a 3/8 OD size. Then connect your 3/8 plastic tubing and run this all the way to the water filtration system, presumably under your kitchen sink. You can tie into the output line of your water filtration system by using the Watts PL-3023 Tee Connector.

I've attached an image that shows it all connected. Hope your find this useful. The brass adapter that ships with Rocket simply steps up the size to another British Threaded coupling, and is not needed by the setup above.

I am amazed that Rocket Espresso does provides a machine to the US market, that is designed to be plumbed in, yet it provides an incompatible thread type for the US. I think Rocket Espresso makes a great machine and I hope they recognize that this oversight can result in a negative impression to their US customers.

MartyRey: Rocket2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 4:54pm

Good job, Marty and thanks!!
showing page 9 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.468029975891)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+