Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lozinsky

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 3:54pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

I found this on youtube regarding the steam issue mentioned in the German forums.  It appears that there is some kind of fix in the works (it is mentioned in the comments of the youtube video and in the German forum).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D13KlRRt-6A

Thoughts?

I have one on pre-order and have high hopes!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 4:18pm

One of the commenters of that video said that you should check with your dealer. It's not a bad idea. Alternatively, if yours get shipped with old firmware, contact Rocket Espresso and ask for the firmware update.

www.facebook.com/RocketEspressoMilano
 View Profile Link to this post
Nakbin
Nakbin

Espresso: Mini Mex, Gaggia Achille,...
Grinder: Capresso Burr
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 9:26pm

Mine is on order from Great Earth here in Bangkok.  Should be about 5 weeks and 108,700.00 Thai Baht  ( plus the bottomless). I am very excited about this one!  

Fantastico! Bella !
pcguy74
pcguy74

Espresso: Rocket R58, Bodum Press,...
Grinder: Nouva Simonelli MDX
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 9:14pm

I'm here...a proud owner of the new Rocket R58.  I'm "upgrading" from a 1998 Nuova Simonelli Mac Cup V.  The way I approached this was that my 1998 was starting to cost money in repairs and my repair man suggested I put the money toward a new machine and this is what he suggested.  The old machine was fine but I didn't want to put anymore time or effort into it.  It was a GREAT machine, steamed like none other and pulled pretty good shots once you got used to it.

So, from that perspective, I was looking for a Prosumer machine that was going to give me what I was used to using.  
My warm up on my old machine was about 20 minutes, on the new machine it is about 30.  I think the dual boiler and wattage are the limitation but I'm willing to wait for the results I'm getting!

The machine is physically beautiful, a piece of art and if we thought the old one was a conversation piece because of its size, the new one is a conversation piece because of the beauty.  Shiny is not even close to describing this baby!  You can pull your shot and check your reflection before you head out to the office in the morning :)

I dislike the cramped levers/knobs compared to my big machine but I've got some room back on my counter so it's a fair trade.  A professional barista might not like the cramped controls, but most people aren't going to have an issue.  By the way, I love the knobs for the steam and water controls.  My old machine had a lever system which was handy too but the knobs seem more natural to me.

The hot water pulls off nicely without "exploding", that is an improvement compared to my old machine.  It lacks the boiler size of my old machine so I can't pull a few teas, a few espressos, a couple of americano's like i used to but we don't do that too often.

For steam, this is the best steam I've seen...it's dry, it's powerful, and it took me exactly two tries to get nearly perfect microfoam.  My Nuova was a practiced art because it was SO powerful.  That would be great for doing huge foamy drinks but for a macchiatto and a cappuccino (our two drinks in the morning) it was overkill.  The steamer on the R58 is absolutely great!!!  I've made 4 drinks in a row without running out of steam so the steam boiler keeps up.

The shots, oh the shots...my espresso is beautiful now.  My old machine was fine early on but i definitely didn't know what I was missing.  Dial in the grind (for each coffee, and a few times a week) and the shots are just perfect.  I'm pulling 24 second shots every time and they taste wonderful.  I've adjusted the PID and have everything where I want.  I leave the PID interface off to the side of the machine so I can see it.  I don't like it but I'm getting used to it.  I think I like the beauty of the machine enough to understand why it belongs external but I'm still wondering how we could get this accomplished in some other way without detracting from the machine.  

For my technique, I always pull off a bit of water, watching the display for the temp fluctuation.  After a little practice I know about how much water needs to be drawn off and where the temp will settle.  I use this to warm the cups so it's not entirely wasted.  Then grind/tamp the coffee, and load it up into the machine.  Pour my milk into my cold pitcher, and start the pre-infusion with my right hand.  Slide over to the left with the pitcher, hit the lever all the way up for brew and also start foaming...about when the foam reaches the end of the "bubbles" and I'm dipping the wand, I am killing the shot.  It sits for a few seconds while I finish the milk.  Pour and go! (the shots are so reliable, I brew right into the cups).

I got mine from Seattle Coffee Gear.  They were great on the phone with answers to all my questions.  My only complaint reflects on both Rocket and Seattle (it's minor!)...the Rocket R58 ships with a British Standard treaded hose and "nipple" as they refer to it in the plumbing world.  Getting hardware for that in a smaller city (60K people) is not easy...in my case, not possible at all.  Rocket and Seattle Coffee Gear (or other resellers) would be wise to include a "kit" to mitigate this problem.  For now, I'm a few weeks into this and am dealing with my leak by turning off my cold water supply after 1 hour of use or I have a "flood" under my sink where I have this plumbed in.  I was told Seattle would have parts soon and that they were thinking of assembling kits for the various machines...so if they do, they will have solved this problem.

I hope this is helpful to all.  My overall satisfaction level is 99%!!!
ee61
ee61

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 1:11pm

Just found this new R58 video on youtube . "Noises that the Rocket R58 makes. Supposed to be a near silent rotary pump."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_L-jthqWZE

What is that noise?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
itsmesteven

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Vario mkII
Vac Pot: Hario syphon
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 2:08pm

Hi, I read about this issue in a German coffee forum and for him it was a easy fix. Not sure if this is the same issue but worth a try.
Not sure how to call it but see this video at 08:00 (The video is not describing this issue). The copper spiral is hitting the metal when the pump kicks in and vibrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBSfikYp7U

Hope this helps.

Edit: Found the page that issues the problem.
Click Here (translate.googleusercontent.com)
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 1:49pm

iroast Said:

That's my understanding. Something about not the right pressure, but generally, the R58 is well received. What worries me is the one post about a bad plastic smell from the tank. Non-issue if you're planning to plumb it in. There are a few other issues with the R58, so I encourage anyone interested in buying the R58 to read the thread carefully and then decide. I ordered mine from eBay 1st wk of June. Expecting a 2nd wk of July delivery.

Posted June 21, 2012 link

I have been using an R-58 for a month and it pulls great shots and steams well.  No complaints there!  However it makes a weird noise that I suspect is a faulty water shut off solenoid.  Here is the noise.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_L-jthqWZE&feature=youtu.be  A video which I made.

The noise vanishes if I switch to the internal reservoir AND shut off the house water filter system that has 40psi coming from it.  Since it is supposed to take 72psi the house water pressure should not be an issue.  It delivers plenty of water, but just a weird noise, not a silent rotary pump.

Another issue I had was with the rather wimpy undersized drain tube.  1/4" tubing.  Really, what a joke, and to top it off it is soft neoprene of some sort and when it gets hot with drain water it collapses where it makes the 90 degree bend to dangle over the hole in the counter top.  I drilled and tapped the catch basin and installed a 90 degree brass elbow and hooked 1/2" copper pipe for the run to go under the immediately adjacent sink.  Problem solved but Rocket's design is bunk!

Last but not least is Rockets insistence of having their brew group so close to the operator edge of the drip tray.  Without a portafilter in the group you will be watering your counter.

Other than the above it works very well!
Spirit

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P-2
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 6:14am

iroast Said:

That's my understanding. Something about not the right pressure, but generally, the R58 is well received. What worries me is the one post about a bad plastic smell from the tank. Non-issue if you're planning to plumb it in. There are a few other issues with the R58, so I encourage anyone interested in buying the R58 to read the thread carefully and then decide. I ordered mine from eBay 1st wk of June. Expecting a 2nd wk of July delivery.

Posted June 21, 2012 link

hey iroast!

Have you got your R58? :)

I was curious since I'm planning on getting one when suppliers get stock here in Canada.

Max
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
iroast

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 6:28am

Spirit Said:

hey iroast!

Have you got your R58? :)

I was curious since I'm planning on getting one when suppliers get stock here in Canada.

Posted July 11, 2012 link

It's currently held at the airport by Customs. I should have it by Friday, but I won't have time to mess with it till Monday... :-/
Spirit

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P-2
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 6:55am

iroast Said:

It's currently held at the airport by Customs. I should have it by Friday, but I won't have time to mess with it till Monday... :-/

Posted July 11, 2012 link

Cool keep us posted ;)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 6 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438332080841)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+