Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Ascaso Steel Uno Professional with PID
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Steel Uno...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
fhb435

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 3:34pm
Subject: Ascaso Steel Uno Professional with PID

I'm looking at a getting a new espresso machine, and seem to like what I see with the Ascaso Steel Uno Professional with PID. I'm looking at staying in the $500-700 range, and this one fits.

My current machine is a Gaggia Classic, and it seemed to require a repair annually since I purchased it 6 years ago. So, I want to be sure that I'm getting something reliable with the Ascaso. However, I spoke to an Ascaso retailer who said that the machine is less reliable than a Rancilio Silvia!

I'm wondering if anyone has a few years of experience with the Ascaso, and can speak to its reliability?

Are there other machines in this price range that I should be considering?

Many thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 4:43pm
Subject: Re: Ascaso Steel Uno Professional with PID

I'm not sure if the new steel line has made it this side of the pond yet, but judging from ascaso's website they seem mighty buff.  A lot of small improvements across the board, copper tubing, braided hoses, ergonomic pf, no burn multi directional steam arm etc.

You may also want to inquire about the new lelit coming to market with pid and 58mm portafilter.  I know it is for sale in some parts of the world just not sure if NA is one of them.

Good luck.

By the way, I have had no problems with my ascaso for almost a year now.
65coupe

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 4:54pm

Even though this is my first post I might be able to help you out here. (even though I don't own the Ascasco)

2 days a go my first espresso machine landed. (QM Silvano). I had initially purchased a Gaggia classic but after messing with it for a few hours I could see it wasn't going to carry the load for my use (still was a fantastic machine though)

While doing research on which machine to buy I considered the Ascasco UNO and read a few reviews, they were OK, nothing real great though and a few that felt the construction wasn't up to par.

Since my budget was pretty much unlimited (but I still wanted to keep it sane) I passed on it based on the reviews about the build quality and the fact that it didn't have all the features I wanted.

If you want to stay with a single boiler machine check out the Lelit with the PID, that machine got very good reviews also.

For me the Silvano was worth the extra, it was also 10% off and I liked the pressure gauge and overall positive reviews about the entire machine. That you can steam with it while brewing was important.

Keep in mind you can always add the PID at a later date, this will free up some cash to get a "better" machine.
fhb435

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 12:44pm

Keep in mind you can always add the PID at a later date, this will free up some cash to get a "better" machine.

you're making quite a good point! my budget is limited, but I can very well do the PID later on. I'd love to get a DB or HX, but they aren't likely to be available at my threshold of $6-700. I'm certainly open to refurbished machines that have a good warranty, so if there are any suggestions on that front, I'd welcome them!
65coupe

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 3:11pm

If I already had a good grinder and had a 700 budget max for a new machine I would probably get the Lelit PL041 with the PID.

For a few bucks more you can get the Pasquini Livietta however that is a dual thermoblock machine. While thermoblocks are OK for steam general consensus has them not so good for brewing, but it is an option.

There is also the Rancilio Silvia.

You will need to check out the popular resellers mentioned on the forums and look at their refurb units. I recall seeing one place that had a refurb Silvia for $510.

Don't forget you can always sell the Gaggia to recoup a few bucks.
flatounet

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 6:56am

hi all ,

i am newbie , and i have buy ascaso dream.
im looking for put pid on it , but i dont found any info on it.

(im french and i got average/poor english )
any one have link or info for made pid on my machine ?

(dream = basic )

thank's for PM or answers here , may be help some other guy.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 7:53am

Look into the Crossland CC1 w/ it's built in PID, it's a flat out awesome machine. I looked at the Ascaso Steel Uno PID since it and the Silvia PID with the CC1 are the 3 main ones in that price range (except Silvia get's too expensive IMO unless bought used, otherwise your right in striking range of better machines than the Silvia), but heard mixed stuff on the Acasio but nothing specific, even some owners on here and HB weren't fond of it but never really said why except for blurbs about issues/reliability. I've used the Silvia PID though and would take the Crossland CC1 over it any day.
65coupe

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 2:16pm

CC1 fits the bill, excellent feature set and so far very good reviews. For me though the looks kill it, the polished stainless steel of my Silvano can't be beat.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 2:56pm

+1 on the CC1.
I've had one for a few months and I'm very happy with it.
I agree that the more chromed models look better but for $700 I think it's a great machine.
I don't find the looks at all offensive, just bland.

Regarding reliablitiy I've had no problems with it and don't see many posts here about CC1 reliability.
All expectations are that Bill Crossland will stand by his product.
Nevertheless, as it's a relatively new machine, we don't know how the long term reliability will work out.

The CC1 Road Tour review should be coming out sometime this decade -- that might give you more info (though it obviously won't address long-term reilability).
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 3:46pm

BarryR Said:

+1 on the CC1.
I've had one for a few months and I'm very happy with it.
I agree that the more chromed models look better but for $700 I think it's a great machine.
I don't find the looks at all offensive, just bland.

Regarding reliablitiy I've had no problems with it and don't see many posts here about CC1 reliability.
All expectations are that Bill Crossland will stand by his product.
Nevertheless, as it's a relatively new machine, we don't know how the long term reliability will work out.

The CC1 Road Tour review should be coming out sometime this decade -- that might give you more info (though it obviously won't address long-term reilability).

Posted July 9, 2012 link

I actually really like the looks, especially vs the Silva which just looks outdated now imo. Though no doubt I love and prefer the looks of something like the Rocket lol (Silvano looks nice as well). My kitchen is brushed stainless with some black here and there and the CC1 looks/matches awesome in there with it's metal/black case. I bought mine used with no worries as Bill answers any questions. I'm loving that front loading tank too, since mine sits just under a cabinet which makes top loading/backloading machines a pain lol.

Somebody else on here was selling a CC1, I think 500? Not sure you'd have to search. Even new though it's priced so well, the Silva new + PID is pointless as your right in batting range of a much better machine than it like the Silvano, or used h/x etc. And I've seen used Silva's with PID going for close to what the CC1 is new, easy choice there imo. Having that thermoblock is nice and fast for steam.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Steel Uno...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394400119781)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+