Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 49 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 9:03am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

scanfield Said:

I've recently switched over to using a bottomless portafilter all the time and I've discovered that I have a grind or tamping problem to solve. I think I also have a temperature problem and am contemplating adjusting the pstat.

Posted May 28, 2012 link

or maybe it's just dosing and/or distribution you need to work on...most would say start with distribution (as long as your dose is about right and the shot timing is in desired range).  Remember that tamping should always be done at a consistent pressure with the tamper level, other than that, there's not much else to do to "fix" your tamp - unless your tamper is the wrong size for your basket(s).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
Epson

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 8:43am

So i still havn't descaled yet as the instructions are a bit confusing, i emailed them and they called left a message and someone deleted it before i could listen to it, but its kind of annoying they always want to talk over the phone rather than just email me back.  Anyways hoping someone here who has done it before can help me out in regards to following the instructions they offer in the newsletter.

Why does it say "tools to remove body panels to access water refill probe for boiler" but in the instructions it never mentions anything else about this, what am i supposed to do? So if there's something like that left out is there anything else left out that they just assume people will know?

The instructions state Full operating temp = when pressure needle stops moving?

Step 9 says stop when  container is filled or when hot water stops coming out, but thats confusing because it doesn't say what size container, and shouldn't hot water always be coming out?  So in otherwords the amount could vary alot which could leave very little for the next step involving the grouphead.  Also i take it this is  a harsh chemical is a plastic pitcher ok?

i notice the steam wand isn't included does that not need descaling?

Also am i supposed to take off the shower screen when doing this, and how often should i be taking it off for cleaning in general, and thats just a screw i think to get it off?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i get it right the first time and don't get stuck midway through or mess something up

thanks
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 7:05am

Epson Said:

So i still havn't descaled yet as the instructions are a bit confusing, i emailed them and they called left a message and someone deleted it before i could listen to it, but its kind of annoying they always want to talk over the phone rather than just email me back.  Anyways hoping someone here who has done it before can help me out in regards to following the instructions they offer in the newsletter.

Why does it say "tools to remove body panels to access water refill probe for boiler" but in the instructions it never mentions anything else about this, what am i supposed to do? So if there's something like that left out is there anything else left out that they just assume people will know?

The instructions state Full operating temp = when pressure needle stops moving?

Step 9 says stop when  container is filled or when hot water stops coming out, but thats confusing because it doesn't say what size container, and shouldn't hot water always be coming out?  So in otherwords the amount could vary alot which could leave very little for the next step involving the grouphead.  Also i take it this is  a harsh chemical is a plastic pitcher ok?

i notice the steam wand isn't included does that not need descaling?

Also am i supposed to take off the shower screen when doing this, and how often should i be taking it off for cleaning in general, and thats just a screw i think to get it off?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i get it right the first time and don't get stuck midway through or mess something up

thanks

Posted May 31, 2012 link

I waited hoping somebody more knowledgeable would reply, but since nobody else did:

1) I did not remove any body panels or do anything with the water probe.

2) operating temp - Yeah that is what I figured. Not sure what was intended either.

3) re step 9 - yeah I scratched my head on that too. I am not sure how critical it really is. The basic idea seems to be just to let descaler run through, sit a bit in the boiler, run through, etc.

4) steam wand - not sure. I did not do anything with it.

5) I did not take the shower screen off. Mine is very clean. I clean the grouphead regularly with a cafelat brush and I back flush regularly.

FWIW - this video shows the basic process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQup1NKYb8&feature=plcp
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 6:22am

Good morning Cuadra fans!

Today's cup is Counter Culture's Rustico. Pour and temp were right on the brew parameters, latte art . . . not so much. :)

Rustico is nice. It is milder then some of the others I have been drinking, but a very nice flavor. It also gives a beautiful thick syrupy pour.

I hope y'all are drinking something tasty today.

slybarman: 2012-06-10 09.09.25.jpg
(Click for larger image)
fivetenagain
fivetenagain

Grinder: Vario
Drip: No...press
Roaster: Verve
Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 11:23pm

I'm finally getting comfortable with my Cuadra and I think I'm making decent shots and oxygenated milk. It was good in the beginning but now it's better.  Making decent espresso and frothed milk takes practice. I've stuck with the plugged two hole method for the steam wand and I have been making really decent micro foam. I hope all is well in the Cuadra/espresso world. Thanks for all the pointers and tips, keep them coming if you have them.
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 7:55am

I've been using the bottomless portafilter exclusively for the past month and have tried everything to get rid of spraying. I'm starting to wonder if it might be the basket itself that is causing the problems. Is that even possible? The only other thing that I want to try is lowering the pressure setting on my machine but I don't know how to do that.

To summarize, I've messed with my grind settings, stepping through every micro adjustment on my Vario from way too course, to machine-choking fine. I've tried every distribution technique and tamp pressure combination. Nothing totally eliminates the fine mist, sprites, or sprays.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 6:03pm

What tamper? Size? Shape of base?
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 8:13pm

slybarman Said:

What tamper? Size? Shape of base?

Posted July 5, 2012 link

I just happened to order a new tamper today -- a 58mm RattleWare tamper. I was using the plastic one that came with the machine.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 4:36am

Let us know the result. I would the think the tamper the more likely culprit than the actual basket. I never used the plastic one that came with the machine, so I don't know how well it fit the basket. Did you order a flat bottom or curved?
fuzzy2009

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 9:20am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread-

Am shopping for a sub-$1500 pro-sumer espresso machine and came across 1st-Line deal on  La Nuova Era Cuadra II at $1095.00 whereas other sites selling it for $1500 - seems too good to be true; my questions:
1) how is it that these can be offered as such a discount, even if they are intro prices..are they refurbs/modified?
2) Has anyone purchased Cuadra from them and how is it going?
3)Am also concerned that this brand is not as well-established and may not have the parts/service support that other well-established brands may have. Perhaps my concerns are unfounded, any advice would be appreciated.
4) Finally, for those who have a Cuadra, any regrets? What model were you considering before purchasing Cuadra and why?
Thanks much!
showing page 49 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.399274110794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+