Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM / Rocket Giotto User Group
100% Organic Guate Coffee
Temblor is a very smooth Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate.
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM / Rocket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 9:15am
Subject: Re: ECM / Rocket Giotto User Group

dsblv Said:

There isn't a separate pump for autofill.  The rotary pump does both jobs.  If things don't seem normal, then I would recommend calling WLL and see what they say.

Double boiler machines are going to produce more heat than a small single boiler machine.  The Silvia only had a 10 oz. boiler, after all.

Posted June 26, 2012 link

You are correct on both counts!

WLL is pretty interested in the sound pressure level readings from this machine, which I recorded this morning, and the video w/sound that I recorded.  Now to figure out how to get those to them :-)
 View Profile Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 12:37pm

Here is a link I generated showing the Rocket sitting in it's corner of the kitchen and a couple of shots of a mod I did (pretty weak photos of mod but you'll get the idea) and a video (long download) showing/hearing the weird noise.  There is an accompanying explanation with sound pressure readings of the various tools on the machine.

http://www.mini4fun.info/Rocket/Rocket_R-58.html
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 1:02pm

That sound definitely comes from the refill of the boiler.  Your R58 is quieter than my Evo during both brew and refill cycles.  I think your machine is operating normally.  WLL can verify.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 1:05pm

dsblv Said:

That sound definitely comes from the refill of the boiler.  Your R58 is quieter than my Evo during both brew and refill cycles.  I think your machine is operating normally.  WLL can verify.

Thanks for the input.  WLL has the video and should be reviewing it now so maybe tomorrow they will respond.  With a noise like that I thought for sure something was eating itself!  My Rancilio Silvia was much more quiet.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 7:15pm

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

http://www.mini4fun.info/Rocket/Rocket_R-58.html

The pump hums quietly in the background while it's sound is almost completely drowned out by the noise that might be from a solenoid for the water fill.  Why can't it just open and shut off with a clunk instead of sitting there and buzzing like a musical instrument.  I did NOT buy an expensive Kazoo!

WLL has both of these files and is reviewing them and they will break out their sound pressure level meter to see if their machine comes up to the 92db during a brew and simultaneous fill.

I think if it is the solenoid valve they should find a quiet one  since they are pimping "The Quiet Rotary Pump".

We will see how it shakes out after WLL reviews the files and examines their Rockets.

I have way to many years in electronic and electrical construction, from rocket sleds to missile guidance systems to satellites and automotive tinkering is my hobby.  If I encountered a valve that made that kind of racket I would investigate!
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 8:05am

dsblv Said:

The Tech Support  from WLL called and suggested that I try something to isolate the origin of the noise.  They suggested that I disconnect the inlet water and just use the reservoir, so I shut off (with a ball valve) the inlet water and just used the reservoir.  As if by magic NO NOISE!!!

After reading the Owners Manual and finding out that the plumbed inlet water should not be higher than 5 Bars (72.5 psi) I figured that my 42 or 43 psi would be OK.

So it appears that the solenoid that opens and closes to allow for inlet water and not reservoir water is the culprit.  Check your Evo...
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 12:41pm

Right now the Rocket is packed back into it's box and waiting for UPS to pick it up.  I am letting WLL deal with the noise rather than me ripping apart a new machine to fix something that even Rocket Corporate in Milan acknowledges is not correct.  They sent me an email and verified that the noise is not correct.

Since all this started (day 1 of powering up the machine) it has operated beautifully, except the noise.  Now the brew group lever is getting sticky after 1 month of ownership.  Can anyone suggest what kind of lube needs to be put into that lever mechanism?  I like Never Seize but I am not so sure that putting that in close proximity to food s a good thing!
Giovanni312

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Mazzer mini
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 3:31pm

Hello all!

After trolling the formus, I made the plunge, I recently purchased a used ECM Giotto Premium from a fellow CG'er. (I had a Breville 830XL)  The machine looks great; however, I have a little concern. When I turn the machine on, I hear it cycle and it will eventually heat to 1.2 Bar (I upped it from .9 bar as recommended by the seller...I like latte drinks) GREAT! However, my concern is that once the heat reaches the high point of the p-stat, it will shut off and quickly (over a span of 3 min.) drop .3 bar and then the heat will kick back on, reach 1.2 bar. This process repeats itself over and over. Is this normal? I have read elsewhere that this sort of heat loss is normal due to the cycling of the water through the grouphead; however, I would feel comfortable hearing it from fellow CG'er......

Also, I don't hear any hissing or see any water so I don't think that i have a leak.
wheels2040

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Premium Plus...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 3:44pm

I bought a new Rocket Cellini Premium Plus V2 less than a month ago and it does the exact same thing. I thought the same as you, that something was wrong, but Seattle Coffee Gear (where I bought it) said it was normal.

Giovanni312 Said:

Hello all!

After trolling the formus, I made the plunge, I recently purchased a used ECM Giotto Premium from a fellow CG'er. (I had a Breville 830XL)  The machine looks great; however, I have a little concern. When I turn the machine on, I hear it cycle and it will eventually heat to 1.2 Bar (I upped it from .9 bar as recommended by the seller...I like latte drinks) GREAT! However, my concern is that once the heat reaches the high point of the p-stat, it will shut off and quickly (over a span of 3 min.) drop .3 bar and then the heat will kick back on, reach 1.2 bar. This process repeats itself over and over. Is this normal? I have read elsewhere that this sort of heat loss is normal due to the cycling of the water through the grouphead; however, I would feel comfortable hearing it from fellow CG'er......

Also, I don't hear any hissing or see any water so I don't think that i have a leak.

Posted July 17, 2012 link

Giovanni312

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Mazzer mini
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 8:23pm

Hello fellow ECM Giotto owners. I have enjoyed the last 7 months getting to know my machine. This past weekend, I descaled and back flushed the machine. Recently, I noticed that the at the end of a shot, the discharge pressure, although historically very powerful, lacked any sort of meaningful back pressure, hence the reason for descaling. Things have slowly deteriorated since then.....

The machine turns on; however, it won't come to pressure. Specially, the gauge remains at zero, but the machine is hot to the touch. I pull the lever and the pump doesn't turn on. I scratch my head! Turn the machine off, then on again. The pstat turns the heating element on, the gauge reaches the set .9 bar. I pull one shot. Then the heating element doesn't kick back on, pressure falls to zero, pull lever, no pump......

Any ideas? Could it be a pump? Pstat? Circuit board? I would like to take a stab at repairing it before taking it to a local shop.
showing page 11 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM / Rocket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.468738079071)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+