Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 81 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kpmd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: breville 900
Grinder: baratza vario w
Drip: capresso team therm
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 6:55pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

I need some help.  Was pulling fairly good shots until I decided to clean the showerhead.  Wasn't careful on reassembly. Now shower screen imprint in shots and super long pulls with little volume.  Does anyone know which end the screen is supposed to go in to the ceramic?

Also, my hot water from the machine still tastes terrible.  Anyone else notice this?
 View Profile Link to this post
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 9:32pm

Stuart. The cleaning cycle is "supposed" to flush the 3 way valve when the blind portafilter is sealing properly. Has nothing to do with cleaning the portafilter.  The 3 way valve works by releaving the pressure at the portafilter after the shot is pulled.If there was no 3 way valve, when you loosened the PF after the shot you would get an explosion of wet coffee grounds all over the planet. The 3 way valve opens after the shot releaving the pressure and some loose grounds can get forced through the valve. So the clean cycle forces or allows soapy cleaning solution to backflush through the 3 way valve.
   So thats what the clean cycle is supposed to accomplish on an espresso machine.
The solution in the blind PF should never leak past the seal so if you are getting soapy solution through the PF, the seal is not intact. With the blind PF working properly, you should get soapy water through the 3 way valve and should see it expelled into the drip tray via 3 way valve.
I am a not familiar with your BDB but it should be the same as my machine.

If you ask me, you should manually remove the shower screen and clean it, reassemble and then do your backflush/clean cycle.

KPMD. Sounds like you need to reassemble your shower screen so the screen does not protrude as much as it is now. Probably just reassemble so the screen and ceramic sit together as a tight unit.
Stuart

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 6:21am

Sorry to be unclear: I was talking about the cleaning cycle with the stock Breville rubber insert and tablets -- the Breville rubber insert is not a "blind" insert, as it has a single ~1mm hole in the center, under a rubber tab that is sized to hold the cleaning tablet in place. That may not be unique, but it is different from other systems I've heard described.

I believe the intent of this design is to create a nearly-blind system for the first portion of the wash cycle, and then to deliberately allow some cleaning solution to pass through toward the end. (The Breville cleaning cycle lasts 360 seconds. Without breaking down all the steps, it alternates between building up pressure and letting it off, with time lags that might be intended to allow the cleaning tablet to dissolve.

(In any event; I use a third-party blind basket and Cafiza for a detergent backflush on somewhat more than a weekly basis, and a water backflush daily. When the "clean me" reminder comes on, I activate the cleaning cycle just to clear the message.)
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 7:12am

Interesting. Its probably designed so it does not choke the machine and would have basically the same effect.
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 12:33pm

I was on CS and found some information that Phil McKnight posted about cleaning that I don't remember seeing in this thread.  Thought the post might be relevant.

"We recommend just clear-water back-flushing after each coffee making session. This reduces the build-up of rancid coffee oils in the coffee paths & helps maintain coffee flavour. Empty & rinse the drip tray at the same time. Wipe the dispersion screen, rinse & wipe the porta-filter & coffee basket. I would use cafetto or similar espresso cleaner every 2 or 3 kgs, again to keep your coffee tasting the way it should. You can drop the dispersion screen & soak this with the group handle and coffee basket in espresso cleaner for 10-20 mins to remove rancid coffee oils from places you can't see to clean. We supply an allen key for this purpose."

I found this video on cleaning the BDB

Click Here

Lastly, there was some information about the sticky puck issue and I think I had it right about the vacuum created:

"You're not doing anything wrong, so long as your coffee is tasting OK. On some longer extractions, the cake seems to get stuck to the dispersion screen as there is some negative pressure being created when the 3 way solenoid opens to the drain as the solenoid is inverted. This is more pronounced with the 900 baskets as they have quite a taper & the puck releases very easily. If you switch to baskets with more parallel sides like the Synesso ridgeless or Marzocco or VST, then this doesn't happen at all. Use the cap on the supplied tamper as a guide to dose height."

This seems to explain, for me at least, why I get sticky pucks with the Breville basket but not the VST.

-Michael
theSpaniard

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 5:26pm

Question for the forum; my shots are generally coming out well when I weigh dose and tamp correctly, but I can't seem to get that syrupy mouthfeel that you get at the better cafes. Aside from a lack of skill are there factors that contribute to better mouthfeel? I have a SG and am 1 notch from the finest setting, so hopefully that's not the answer. I'm using Intelligentsia black cat but they were roasted on 05-01 so they are a bit more than 30 days old.

Thanks.
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 5:20am

I found this video on backflushing the BDB in case anyone is interested.

Backflushing
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 5:48am

theSpaniard Said:

I'm using Intelligentsia black cat but they were roasted on 05-01 so they are a bit more than 30 days old.

Thanks.

Posted June 5, 2012 link

A huge improvement would be to use the beans within the first 14 days after the roast date. Using coffee 5 days after roast and using it a month afterwards are two different worlds in regards to mouthfeel and taste.

-Dave-
theSpaniard

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 6:01pm

Thanks. I live in the cultural vacuum known as South Florida, so I have a hard time finding local roasters that would make it possible for me to get good coffee that I could consume within 5-10 days. It would be too expensive to pay shipping each time I order on that interval from the better roasters that ship. Any suggestions as to how I can preserve freshness? I've read a lot about freezing on this forum, I assume that's a good option?
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 6:04pm

Home roasting could solve your problem and provide another fun hobby.
Check out sweetmarias.com for a lot of info on home roasting, the equipment and the beans.
showing page 81 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.419903039932)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+