Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Le'Lit PL041 - undrinkable shots
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Le'Lit PL041 -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pianoviolin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 12:26pm
Subject: Le'Lit PL041 - undrinkable shots

I've had a Le'lit PL041 for a couple years now and have yet to pull a drinkable shot. It is paired with the Le'lit PL53 grinder, and I've tried a wide range of grind consistencies and tamp pressures. I've also tried a variety of beans.

The problem is the same for each shot - the shots are extremely harsh/bitter. This is true even for coarser grinds and light tamping pressure. I've produced 2oz of espresso in around 10 seconds and it still tastes like it's over extracted.

Any ideas? I've read through most of the pl041 threads on this forum but haven't found any solutions.
 View Profile Link to this post
yiplong

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 1:16pm
Subject: Re: Le'Lit PL041 - undrinkable shots

pianoviolin Said:

I've had a Le'lit PL041 for a couple years now and have yet to pull a drinkable shot. It is paired with the Le'lit PL53 grinder, and I've tried a wide range of grind consistencies and tamp pressures. I've also tried a variety of beans.

The problem is the same for each shot - the shots are extremely harsh/bitter. This is true even for coarser grinds and light tamping pressure. I've produced 2oz of espresso in around 10 seconds and it still tastes like it's over extracted.

Any ideas? I've read through most of the pl041 threads on this forum but haven't found any solutions.

Posted May 23, 2012 link

Maybe brew temp is too hot?  did you try to measure the temp of water coming out of the grouphead?
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 1:23pm

My first thought too, temperature.  Styrofoam cup test,

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/342452

Did you also get a grind that you can control, 45-60 ml in 25 seconds?  Are the beans fresh?  Have you cleaned the grinder and machine recently?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
bfont52

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 1:49pm

Ditto here.  I have the same setup for a couple of months now and am experiencing the same things lately.....I'm new to this so my technique could use some improvement I'm sure but, lately shots have gotten worse and I'm seeing really bad center channeling which i'm guessing is causing the bitter/over extracted taste.  nothing i do seems to fix the channelling. not sure why it's happening now as it wasn't before.

brady
D4F

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 2:42pm

Lots of info just searching CG about bitter.  The FRCN site is great and for taste and brew difficulties, here:

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToEspresso.html

And a recent thread

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/520639

It is not necessarily your machine, likely not, so look for threads on technique, bitter, temperature, extraction...

D4F also at
rabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 2:47pm

do you have a scale?     how old are the beans?    how about descaling and backflushing?
yiplong

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 6:58pm

Here is a good guide on the Styrofoam test:

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToTempCheck.html
pianoviolin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 7:45pm

The machine is overdue for a descaling (that's first on my list of things to do right now). I've checked the temperature before and I seem to remember it being ok, but I'll recheck more carefully.

I doubt bean freshness or personal technique is an issue at this point, since the same problem occurs independent of any variations in tamping/grind consistency/freshness/etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll keep you all updated.
D4F

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 9:25pm

What about cleaning?  Old coffee in the brewhead and grinder can affect the taste.

What about warm up time?  Not fully warm brew head and PF can cool the water too much.  Do you always allow full warm up?

D4F also at
mhborstad

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 9:54pm

Grind way way finer and probably also use less coffee per dose... 2oz in 10s and we're breaking out styrofoam cups?

We need to settle on different terminology for "that bad taste that severely underextracted espresso has". Sour/bitter is tough to get a handle on. Bitter is bitter - *harsh* is almost certainly the opposite.

Channelling could be the culprit, but you'd expect to get lucky sometimes...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Le'Lit PL041 -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.372690916061)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+