Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Re: Newbie buying machine, help me choose!
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Re: Newbie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 2:48pm
Subject: Re: Newbie buying machine, help me choose!

yiplong Said:

regarding HX, I think it has certain advantage over DB because the water used to brew is not sitting in the boiler, making it more sanitary.  Even with descaling, there is no way to get rid of all that sludge.

Posted May 17, 2012 link

That is a point I have never heard, and IMO, does not represent factual information. Most home-use double boiler machines have fairly small brew boilers, so if they are getting regular use it's no big deal. The brew boiler of the VBM DD is only .5 liters. And even if not used regularly the user can just flush out the boiler occasionally by running about 8 ounces through it.

As far as descaling, if the proper quality of water is used, scale should not build to excessive levels. Descaling uses citric acid or a form of it, and that is a component of food anyway. A glass of milk is more hazardous than whatever might be in the boiler. A report related to me recently stated that a woman had her breast milk tested and it showed it contained flame retardant chemicals which testing revealed were absorbed into her system from the fabric which covered her couch at home.

So, we need a joke - the components of which must contain a flame retardant couch, breast milk, and an espresso machine... GO!   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:05am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I think he meant scale/grime not bacteria.

Posted May 17, 2012 link

you're probably right, but if so, he used the wrong word.

If I were a comedian, I would try to come up with a good joke from those three things.  I look forward to seeing what someone more clever than me comes up with.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
CaffeineFiend
CaffeineFiend

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Redbird Coffee Co.
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 3:40pm

Plom,

Congrats on your new addiction.  I personally went with a QuickMill Silvano and Baratza Preciso Grinder.  I bought from Chris Coffee and they offered me $100 off my purchase for getting both the machine and grinder with them--so I would contact Mary or Chris to discuss whether or not you can get a combo deal from them.  The silvano was over $900 and the preciso was $200.  If you're budget is tight you want to keep in mind all the other things you'll need--frothing pitcher, thermometer, cleaning supplies--for both interior and exterior (if you go for stainless steel you'll want a polish to keep it at a mirror shine.)  Lets not forget cups, saucers, tamper, and coffee.  I have tried Chris Coffee's roasted: I needed an replacement part for the Silvano so they sent me a few samples: they were very good.  But I think the best roast I've had is RedBird Espresso: it's amazing.  Sweet Maria's  Liquid Amber is pretty good too--though it took 10 days from roast to arrival which my friend who ordered it was not too happy about--it also produces a ridiculous amount of crema which, when settled, leaves about half a cup of coffee remaining.  

So if your budget for the ENTIRE purchase is $1500: keep in mind all the accessories you'll need.  And check out chriscoffee.com: super helpful staff and good deals.  Also: their warranty for my machine was extended to 2 years which is awesome.  Just some stuff for you to consider.

"Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as Death, and as sweet as Love."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 8:18am

I also got a deal from Chris Coffee when buying a machine/grinder combo.  I think pretty much all you have to do is ask...and ye shall receive (so it seems).

re: accessories...

Need: frothing pitcher, cups (if you don't have already - but who doesn't already own cups in their home), 2 shot glasses (if your cups won't fit under the pf spouts - afterall, you do NEED to catch the espresso with something), cleaning supplies (JoGlo, Cafitza, Cleancaf or similar AND grindz or siimilar), coffee, milk?, sweetener?

Want: good tamper (to replace the crummy plastic one that comes with most machines), cups (designed to optimize espresso/cappuccino or latte), special brushes for group, grinder, etc; thermometer (debatable - some people use a hands-on technique that precludes need of a thermometer), more frothing pitchers, water softener (depends on your source water hardness - talk to Mary @ CCS), 0.1 gm scale, many more items...

agreed on the Red Bird!  It's also one of the cheapest great coffees available, especially if you can do 5 pound bags (need a good way to divide the beans for storage.  Many people use ziplocs or mason jars and freeze a few days worth in each vessel).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Re: Newbie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383253097534)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+