Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
pressure profiling with vibe pump
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > pressure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 10 first page previous page
Author Messages
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:07am
Subject: Re: pressure profiling with vibe pump

> This problem is very specific to the vibe pump since it is very flow dependent.

My guess is that one would want to use a table driven approach.  Ie, pre generate tables of %power vs pressure for a range of pucks (ie, a 3 dimensional table) and put these into the program.  As the shot progresses and you learn what %power it actually takes to maintain different pressures, you can determine a best value for the puck characteristic dimension.  Ie, use a mixture of open loop (tables) and closed loop; feedback is used to adjust behavior by 1) selecting which table is most accurate and 2) to bump up/down power levels under steady state conditions to meet the target (classic feedback control).  And of course the system should learn from each brew cycle and use the results to improve the tables for future brews (ie, inter brew auto tuning).
 View Profile Link to this post
jonr

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 1:31pm

AndyPanda Said:

I started the shot letting it build to full pressure long enough to fully saturate the puck (droplets just starting to appear at bottom of basket) and then dropped the pressure and as the shot began to pour, continued adjusting the pressure (keeping it pretty low) throughout the shot to keep the trickle extremely slow.

Posted May 12, 2012 link

Based on this description, it sounds like you are doing flow profiling.  Ie, you are interested in the flow rate over time and the pump power and pressure needed to achieve the desired flow rate are secondary.
nuwuforever

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rio Junior HX
Grinder: Nemox lux w/stepless...
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 12:39pm

I know the original topic is over a year old, but I'm trying to do the dimmer mod to my Oscar.  I have the exact same dimmer switch the OP installed, yet my results are really frustrating.  Two things: I'm only getting control from about the last 30% of the dimmer's range, and it's extremely sensitive.  If I go below this, the pump stalls out.  2nd, as I was calibrating my pressure, I had finally dialed in to 9 bar, but then the heating element kicked on and suddenly my pressure dropped to 5.5 bar.  That's a lot!  I'm wondering if this mod is even worth it on an Oscar, with these results.

Any Ideas?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 1:05pm

I would not do it but there is nothing wrong with playing with it I guess.
My personal opinion, a vibe pump should not be on a dimmer. I have seen a way to slow it down by changing the frequency of the AC to it VS lowering the voltage. I think full voltage and slower frequency is the way to go. However, that takes a bit of electrical know how and circuit design so it is not for everyone, or even a fraction of the reading audience.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 8:48pm

A Dimmer Switch works perfectly.  However you need to purchase a decent one.  The very low cost versions will not do a very good job.  The decent dimmers work by chopping the AC signal via a random fire triac.  Essentially it senses the zero crossing of the voltage and applies a delay based upon the knob position.

You will not be able to control over 100% range.  The characteristics of the coil on the pump are non linear and the dimmers are linear.  You will only be able to control about 30-40% but it should be enough to make it look like 0-100 at the pump.    Look for the higher rated (watts) switches.  They tend to have better switching components installed.

BillC
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 9:53pm

Here is a graphic image of how the triac clips the waveform if a visual helps you.

DeanOK: 92-wave[1].jpg
(Click for larger image)
jonr

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 6:19am

> heating element kicked on and suddenly my pressure dropped to 5.5 bar.  That's a lot!  I'm wondering if this mod is even worth it

Last week I ran without any pressure profiling and now I've gone back to a slow pressure ramp up.   Not a well controlled test, but the latter clearly tastes better to me.

The heater further dropping the voltage can be an issue; ideally a controller would measure and adjust for this.

FWIW, I am using fast PWM to lower the voltage but leave the overall waveform shape and frequency unaltered.

In general, I would encourage people to add a dimmer and try some pressure profiling.
nuwuforever

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rio Junior HX
Grinder: Nemox lux w/stepless...
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 9:44am

Yesterday I had one of the best shots I've ever tasted by starting with a low flow for 2 seconds, turning off the pump via the dimmer switch for pre-infusion, then turning the pump back on at the mark I made for 9bar (though it may have been less if the heating element was on, I didn't notice).  Visually I had deep color and great tiger striping during the whole shot.  I was pretty amazed.  I have a lot to learn, but so far even with the issues I'm having, I'm already pulling better shots using the dimmer switch.

billc Said:

Look for the higher rated (watts) switches.  They tend to have better switching components installed.

BillC

Posted September 20, 2013 link

Can you recommend one?  The one I am using is a Levitron 600watt.  It's the exact same one the OP was using and it sounded like he had control over the entire range of the knob.  

I would love to find something stepped, so I can mark out the steps for easy reference.
showing page 10 of 10 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > pressure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374497890472)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+