Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Question for DeLonghi EC155 owners (please)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Daniel1952

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:02pm
Subject: Question for DeLonghi EC155 owners (please)

My wife and I only drink double-shot cappucinos and double-shot lattes.  The combination of drink selection plus budgetary constraints makes the EC155 appealing.

The online manual for the DeLonghi is sketchy (at best) but seems to indicate that there might be a fair amount of time between pulling shots i.e. my wife might be long-gone finished with her drink before I get mine.

It would be very helpful if any of the existing owners would share their experience regarding how much time is actually required to pull consecutive shots using this particular machine.

Obviously, if any of the membership has something to say, I'm happy to listen.

Many thanks!
Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:17pm
Subject: Re: Question for DeLonghi EC155 owners (please)

People think only of the machine they never consider you must have a grinder. The down fall of any machine is the grinder. A good grinder starts at about $300.  They say on this board they can make good espresso with a cheap machine and good grinder but not with a cheap grinder and a super expensive top of the line machine.  Without a good grinder you can't make espresso unless you use pressurized baskets and even then most people here do not recommend pressurized baskets. I can't overstate the importance of the grinder to coffee making.

Quoted for truth from another thread.

Grinder is the most important machine for espresso and probably any coffee making.

If you want espresso:

"How to Buy an Espresso Machine"           (the links at the bottom are the chapters of the article)
"Espresso for under $300"

If you want coffee a lot of people here recommend a mokapot or french press with good beans and a very good grinder.

I was on a budget with my set up and bought used espresso maker and a new home grinder and spent about 1k. (I cheaped out on the grinder at first was at the 700$ mark, then I had to turn around and get a better one right away so that puts me at the 1k mark for my set up)

So that DeLonghi EC155 machine lists for about 100$.   For that money I might look at very lightly used starbucks baristas.  I often see them at the 100 dollar mark and often listed as not used much at all.  But that still doesn't address the fact you need a grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:22pm

And more links to look at:

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html
http://www.espressomyespresso.com/
"Re: PID versus HX Machine Temp Management- Shouldn't End Result Be The Same?"

Coffeenoobie

Daniel1952

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 8:30pm

Thank you for that, quite enjoyable;  I appreciate the time and effort you put into your response.

Goes to show that Lucretius got it right.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 11:13pm

Hey Daniel, welcome to Coffeegeek!
    My first machine was an Ec155, and I may be the only member on the board to say this, but a good shot can be wrangled out of it--and you might be able to get the occasional microfoam, but there really are some essentials.

Get a good grinder; that's been covered already. But get a good grinder!

Next, if you do go for the Ec155, you should convert it to a non-pressurized basket which can be done for less than $10 including shipping. Might as well make it bottomless at that point also; the basket won't fit otherwise. You'll need to do this with any machine in that price range. There is an old thread on this forum that shows you how to do this here. You'll need to take care of the froth aiding steam tip as well if you want real microfoam. That link addresses steam tips too.

It will take a good 6-8 minutes (maybe longer) to make a cappa on the DeLonghi, so there is a fairly large amount of time between drinks; that is inevitably another issue with machines in the SBDU category.

Though I will stubbornly claim the capability of a good shot with the Ec155, it is worth noting I eventually upgraded and find working with the Ec155 slightly irritating. I'm still getting passable shots from it, but you really need to wrestle good espresso out of it.

*Edited for grammatical fluidity at 2:32 on 5/10

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 9:59am

They say with a good grinder they can get good shots from cheap pump machines.  I don't doubt you can get shots from it, that time between shots is even longer than I thought.  And if they like milkly drinks .... even more foaming is needed.

OP,
Read the thread about what to do if you have only 300 to spend on coffee maybe take some of those ideas and save up for a bit larger starter machine with more steam power.  And while you are saving watch Craigslist and Ebay and you might get an insane deal.  I saw a 2 group commercial conti go for 100$ on craigslist and it was all I could do not to buy it.  The only thing stopping me was a lack of 220 plug for it and not having the extra cash to have that installed.   If it had been a 110 commercial or if I could have wired it up myself, I would have got it working or not. (and it was supposed to be working)

In the mean time to steam milk you can find a lot of steam powered krups and the like on craigslist for 20$ or less.  They can't make espresso, (don't bother trying it just makes strong coffee) but you can use it to steam milk for a mypressi.  Or even do cold brew extra strong and make cold coffee drinks that I really like in the summer.  There are lots of ways to get your fix till you can find a deal or afford what you want.  And at 20 you can resell it or give it away when you don't need it anymore.

Good luck.

Coffeenoobie

wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 10:40am

A few weeks ago I bought an older Saeco Aroma (which is very similar to the Starbucks except the Saeco Aroma has an additional thermostat) off of eBay for less than $95 including shipping.  I immediately removed the pressurizing parts from the portafilter and pulled some shots.  It was obvious that I needed a better grinder (I already had a pretty nice grinder.) so I ordered a large used commercial grinder.  Now I am set to pull some real espresso shots.  Just saying...

Bill
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 12:05pm

in case you did not see this thread,

"Hello world. First post. Here's my setup:"

Coffeenoobie

Daniel1952

Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 2:28pm

Thank you all very much for your advice and guidance, greatly appreciated.

Dan
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 5:22pm

Research now will save you money and disappointment later.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.499030828476)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+