Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Our First Espresso Machine or Coffeemaker Combo...
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Our First...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
annpeter26

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 6, 2012, 10:11am
Subject: Our First Espresso Machine or Coffeemaker Combo...

Hy,

we are Peter and Ann, and we have just moved in together. We are wondering if u can help us choose a good Espresso Machine or Coffemaker Combo... we love to drink a coffee but we dont know how to make a good coffe :).

So coffee lovers pleas help us.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun May 6, 2012, 10:15am
Subject: Re: Our First Espresso Machine or Coffeemaker Combo...

Combo machines are not really good for espresso.  Grinder is the most important machine for espresso and probably any coffee making.

If you want espresso:

"How to Buy an Espresso Machine"           (the links at the bottom are the chapters of the article)
"Espresso for under $300"

If you want coffee a lot of people here recommend a mokapot or french press with good beans and a very good grinder.

I was on a budget with my set up and bought used espresso maker and a new home grinder and spent about 1k.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
annpeter26

Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 1:49pm

well I was wondering if I can get some feed backs from the people who have combos ... and maybe to find up which is the best.....

so If u have some suggestion for me I would be very happy.

thank u
epengr
epengr

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 2:25pm

annpeter26 Said:

well I was wondering if I can get some feed backs from the people who have combos ... and maybe to find up which is the best.....

so If u have some suggestion for me I would be very happy.

thank u

Posted May 8, 2012 link

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.  :)  

By combo machine, you do mean a espresso machine / drip brewer in one, right?

If there is anyone on this site using such a combo machine, they're here because they're trying to decide which real espresso machine to buy.  Those combo brewers really are just gimmicky consumer toys and they are not worth serious consideration if good coffee is what you want.

Don't take this the wrong way.  I way on your shoes 5 months ago as I struggled to decide between a $120 Delonghi and a $300 Breville.  I'm glad I went with the cheaper because it turns out the neither one is very good.  I knew NOTHING about espresso makers.  I still know nothing, but at least I now know that I know nothing :).

Good luck on your quest - good coffee is definitely something worth striving for!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 3:16pm

When I said combo machines were bad at espresso it was not me being a coffee snob.  My first machine was a combo, Krups.  I paid $20 for it used and it can't make espresso. Because of web research I found out there needs to be a foam on the top of the coffee called crema that makes espresso very different from strong coffee.  And I went somewhere with really good espresso and tasted the difference for myself. The combo machine makes really strong coffee but it is not real espresso.  I could steam milk with it.  Because of the problems with that machine I started researching as you are now and ended up here.  

Here is a video that shows a krups machine in the hands of someone that knows how to make espresso.  This video is made by people are trying to sell the krups from their store and can't get it to make espresso with crema. One of the last things they say on the video is that this machine can't make espresso. (they call it stove top) I know you are thinking, this is not a combo machine, but this machine is the exact same technology of the espresso part of the combo machine krups makes.  So, if this krups can't do it, adding a regular coffee pot off to the side will not improve the espresso any at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WxHdhIyl4A&feature=plcp

If you still don't believe me then I suggest you pick up a combo machine and try it for yourself after tasting some really good espresso.  I would buy it used so you don't waste much money on it.  $20 is about all I would waste on a combo machine.  If you lived close I would gladly give you mine.

Combo machines of any kind are generally not great machines.  They are moderately good at most of the functions but not great at any one of them.  (stereos/cd player combos, printer/scanners/fax machines) Espresso needs a machine that is can do very precise things every time and a really good grinder.  Like a $300 minimum grinder.  That is more than most people want to spend on their machine and they don't even think about a grinder.  I know I did not when I started.

I am not trying to discourage you, that is why I just gave you the links I did so you could see for yourself what your options are.  And the first question you have to ask is "do I really want espresso or will just really good coffee do?"

If you want espresso you need a good grinder and a pump driven machine not a steam toy.  All the combos I have seen are steam toys.  If you want espresso we are taking about a dedicated machine and grinder just for espresso.

It is a deep rabbit hole if you decide you want espresso. As you are just starting out with a new apartment, I suggest a good grinder and a french press with great beans and save the espresso journey till you have a lot extra money burning a hole in your pocket.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 5:46pm

annpeter26 Said:

Posted May 8, 2012 link

You will get better info on Amazon.com from the owner's reviews. Most of the people on this board got here after realizing (or always knowing) that the combo machines were just not capable of decent performance on either side (neither capable of making decent coffee nor espresso).

We can assist you in methods of making better coffee than the combo machines can. That's very easy.
For espresso it's a bit more difficult and more expensive. And messier. And takes up more room which, being in London, I will assume that you have limited kitchen counter space.

What's the budget? What's the space which can be dedicated?

So, what's it going to be, mate?

"It's a floor Polish!"
"NO! It's a dessert topping!"
"WAIT! You're both right!"

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
annpeter26

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 2:48am

Thanks for the useful information. And you are right I dont know anything about these machines....but I would like to....

coz money is not a problem...i was thinking something like this:

Click Here (seetop5.com)

(its the last one)

What do u think? too expensive?

If not combo, which espresso machine than?
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 5:18am

I've been drinking drip coffee for over 50 years and two weeks ago I got an espresso machine.  Now I am drinking the best coffee (Americano's) I have ever tasted.  No comparison.  I have no plans of ever going back to drip coffee. Just my opinion.  Good luck.

Bill
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:22am

To the OP, do some research - this forum isn't a strong supporter of super auto machines but some here use them and like them. I haven't owned a nice one so I will reserve judgement.

Coffeenoobie Said:

When I said combo machines were bad at espresso it was not me being a coffee snob.  My first machine was a combo, Krups.  I paid $20 for it used and it can't make espresso...

Posted May 8, 2012 link

Please don't take offense coffeenoobie, but that link from Youtube to Seattle Coffee Gear's demo of a Krups steam espresso machine makes a poor argument. You paid $20 for a used steamer that never was designed to make true espresso.  Krups makes pump machines as well and Youtube shows many shots made in these things.  

Here is what I used two years ago - a $6 Krups 964 pump machine - that can make that shot in the photo with a little effort using the technique I found from this guy's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLk32-BT-M

Coffeenoobie Said:

Because of web research I found out there needs to be a foam on the top of the coffee called crema that makes espresso very different from strong coffee.  And I went somewhere with really good espresso and tasted the difference for myself. The combo machine makes really strong coffee but it is not real espresso.

Posted May 8, 2012 link

My old stand alone 964 machine was also built in to a combo unit too, and it can make crema...

EricBNC: 964 shot.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
joatmon

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:56am

Removed
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Our First...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.51441693306)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+