Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 67 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 7:47pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

BubbaDude Said:

So you're calling the QC process a "technology" and the actual product a "design?"

Posted April 22, 2012 link

No, and my apologies for not being more clear (but please don't mangle my words).  

The QC System is a measurement and evaluation SYSTEM.
The proprietary PROCESS is a manufacturing process.  

Together these were used for research to determine profiles and geometries (sp?) that allowed for consistent extraction characteristics across a wide range of brewing conditions as measured with a coffee refractometer (another patented technology).  

No other basket can make such claims, although some have a nice finish and/or better-than-average hole formation.  

Just because one doesn't notice what's different does not mean there isn't a difference.  I'm a mechanical engineer, and you are (I believe) an electrical engineer.  We each will naturally understand different concepts from different disciplines to varying degrees.  You may not see much room for improvement for a hole through a thin piece of metal, but to me the two products look quite different when examined closely.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 7:58pm

JonR10 Said:

Just because one doesn't notice what's different does not mean there isn't a difference.

I think it means there's no meaningful difference, although claims will be made regardless. There's no doubt that the VST has more holes arranged in a broader pattern.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 8:08pm

from what i understand, one of the vst/strada basket's main goals was to eliminate one factor of inconsistency within the espresso prep and extraction.  so instead of dealing with many different types and inconsistent manufacturing, you have one that is extremely precise and consistent from one vst basket to another.  

this is the video that came to mind, also.      
Click Here (www.youtube.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 8:20pm

BubbaDude Said:

I think it means there's no meaningful difference, although claims will be made regardless.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course.  

And sorry for my ambiguity (again).
Some people will easily notice the difference, and others may not.  
Considering the cost, my guess is that LaMarzocco did not adopt this technology for "no meaningful difference"

And now I'll bow out so you BDB owners can get back to talking about BDB stuff.  
Thre are some great VST threads around if you'd like to engage in that conversation in depth.  
Check out the posts by AndyS for more

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 11:39pm

jon sez:

You may not see much room for improvement for a hole through a thin piece of metal, but to me the two products look quite different when examined closely

with respect to the bolded part, (added by me), what were the circumstances where you got to be privy to an apples-to-apples comparo?  do you have any pictures?  phil has shown us microscopic photos of how the breville basket compares to either a synesso or la marzocco, (before they switched).  and, well, after seeing them under a microscope, I'm glad i have the breville.

-peter
shawngt2
shawngt2

Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:35pm

JonR10 Said:

This is an incorrect assumption.  
The Breville baskets are nice, but VST is different technology.  

The Maestro is "iffy" at best for espresso, and nowhere near consistent enough for VST baskets.  The Azkoyen may fare better but I'm not familiar with the model you have so I cannot say for sure.  

It's not just how fine the grind is.  
Most great espresso grinders exhibit a (consistent) particular bimodal particle size distribution.

I had issues with my grind previously and after following peoples advice on here, re-adjusted my grinder to be finer and all problems were fixed!  I was struggling with making good coffee for over two months, now 90% of my shots are delicious! I'm a happy camper now and also roasting my beans successfully :)  Lovin' it!  I've been using my VST 18g regularily.  After trying my naked PF, I get squirts no matter how even or well I dose and tamp.  I'm curious now, I'll try the BDB slock double basket with the naked tomorrow and see what happens...
mcknightp

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3 Grp
Grinder: Robur, Swift
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 9:05pm

dagoat Said:

jon sez:

with respect to the bolded part, (added by me), what were the circumstances where you got to be privy to an apples-to-apples comparo?  do you have any pictures?  phil has shown us microscopic photos of how the breville basket compares to either a synesso or la marzocco, (before they switched).  and, well, after seeing them under a microscope, I'm glad i have the breville.

-peter

OK, here's an update. The first pic is a VST 20g & the second pic is a Breville 18g. To be honest the Breville 18g has holes that are "rounder". The Breville basket is a used one I just "cleaned" & the VST is brand new. You guys be the judge as to the Breville quality.

VST 20g click here

Breville 18g click here

Cheers, Phil
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 11:46am

Thank you for clarifying that Phil. The precision is impeccable!!

Could you tell me why Breville went with tapered walls?

The only reason I don't use the stock baskets is because of having to be precisely at 18grs. I like to be able to alter the dose as part of hitting the flavour profile that I am looking for.

However, there may very well be something that I am not understanding with the stock baskets and I am more than open to comment. Everything has been purposfully designed on this unit, which I greatly appreciate, so I look forward to understanding the basket design.

The VST's have been working great with the Breville with very consistent and repeatable results by the way!!!

John
mcknightp

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3 Grp
Grinder: Robur, Swift
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 1:10pm

Well the baskets were already "off-tool" when I started with the company 2 years ago, so there was no plan to re-tool those. If I'd been able to choose a design back then, I would have gone with a Synesso style ridgeless design. But there may be something in the skunk-works, but that's more than 6 months away.

The current stock baskets don't need any precise dose to work. I set dose where the coffee tastes the best. I have to say I don't weigh it, but it would be in the range of 18-21g. Fresher coffee needs a bit more head space & older coffee needs less. I think some users are trying to hold dose at a certain weight (more likely height in the basket) cause they see this as to curing pucks sticking to the dispersion screen. Frankly I don't care about the puck sticking, I'm far more concerned about the taste of the espresso.

Cheers, Phil
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 1:57pm

Once again we find that the conventional wisdom about espresso machines and their components isn't very wise. There's no substitute for facts.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
showing page 67 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444034814835)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+