Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Advice re: automatic coffee/espresso maker - Am I looking for a Unicorn?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advice re:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
dsas

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 7:26am
Subject: Advice re: automatic coffee/espresso maker - Am I looking for a Unicorn?

Hello, experts.  My wife and I want to purchase a new coffee maker, but we're not sure if what we're looking for (ideally) exists.  We're looking for a fully automatic grind-and-brew, but she prefers regular, American-style, 12 oz, drip coffee, whereas I enjoy both espresso and drip-style coffee.  Neither of us drink latte/cappuccino.  We buy locally roasted, high-quality beans and have spent enough time in Europe to know what good coffee tastes like.

We've seen a few machines that SEEM like what we're looking for.  For instance, the Delonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica for $649 looks like it makes espresso and, with adjustments to water volume and "strength" can approximate whatever strength "drip" coffee you like.  Is this true?  Can my wife make a 12 oz. cup of medium strength coffee at the touch of a button?

In addition to the Delonghi ESAM 3300, we've looked at a few of the Jura models.  I was initially excited about Jura as I am admittedly biased toward Swiss engineering and production in general (certainly over Italian production quality), but was surprised to read a few reviews panning Jura's quality.

What suggestions do you have?  Jura?  Miele?  Delonghi?  Other?  We're expecting to spend $600-$1000.

Thank you for your thoughts!
David
 View Profile Link to this post
clumeng

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 7:37am
Subject: Re: Advice re: automatic coffee/espresso maker - Am I looking for a Unicorn?

Search the forums for "super-automatic" machines which is what you are describing - not automatic.  Overall there is a bias agains these machines here since they tend to have inferior quality components particularly for espresso.  Grind retention leads to stale grounds in the machine as well that can lead to bad taste.  

A super-auto that makes espresso could also make an americano usually by adding hot water which is similar to brewed coffee.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 9:31am
Subject: Re: Advice re: automatic coffee/espresso maker - Am I looking for a Unicorn?

If you get any espresso machine you can add water to it and it is an americano that is very much like regular american coffee.  So, you don't have to have a machine that does both and I think combo machines are not going to be nearly as good at espresso as an espresso machine.

Super autos will do the coffee at a press of a button but you lose a lot of quality for espresso.  I have read they break often and are very expensive to repair. I have never owned one. I did drink latte out of one once, well I drank a sip out of a cup that one made once - then tossed it.  There are a lot of capsule machines for sale on craigslist.  That leads me to believe they are not as good as the TV ads make them out to be.

People here tend to want good espresso and will not recommend a super automatic.  If you take the "hands on" (mano) out of the equation the espresso is not as good.

The Four M’s
In Italy, arguably the heart and soul of espresso culture, a set of simple rules steers the craft of the beverage. The process is broken down into four equally important components known as the Four M’s: macchina (espresso machine), macinzaione (grinder), miscela (coffee blend) and mano (the person making the shot).

Macchina—The Machine
There are hundreds of espresso machines on the market, ranging from $200 starter machines to $4,500 units that can do some things better than many commercial machines. When shopping for a machine, consider your budget and your goals. Are you looking for a long-term investment or a quick fix? Do you want a machine that’s simple to use or one that offers more precision? The best machines have a durable portafilter and filter basket, a good-sized boiler (up to a liter or more) and a traditional frothing wand without “convenient” gizmos. If you hit Google looking for guidance, check out consumer-written machine reviews and look for notes on durability, capability and ease of use.

Macinzaione—The Grinder
The grinder is the “roadie” of the espresso world—often overlooked, but the show couldn’t go on without it. Truth is, the grinder is just as important as the espresso machine. You can make better espresso with a $200 espresso machine and a $300 grinder than you can with a $4,500 machine and a simple blade grinder or coffee bought pre-ground. Espresso is best when its sub-processes are quick and efficient. Coffee beans should be ground mere moments before brewing, with a grind that is as uniform and as even as possible.

Miscela—The Blend
Like your favorite fruits and vegetables, coffee is seasonal. It has a short shelf life and, in its best forms, can taste wildly different depending on its origin, roast level and blend components. Visit a local roaster and try their espresso; if you like it, consider buying their beans. Or seek out artisan roasters on the Internet, where you can read espresso blend reviews written by other home espresso enthusiasts. Beans can be shipped in three days or less so, when they arrive on your doorstep, they’re often as fresh as four or five days old. Here’s another tip: if you see talk on a roaster’s website about pulling “single origin” shots (making espresso with beans from one farm) during the process of crafting their blends – those people are cutting edge, and a good bet for a great blend.

Mano—It’s All You
Even with the best equipment and the finest beans, espresso doesn’t make itself. Whether your shot is bitter or sour, or a creamy, balanced elixir with a lovely lingering aftertaste, is up to you. You’ve selected your tools. You’ve kept them clean and well maintained. You’ve bought fresh beans and ground them just moments before brewing. You’ve preheated your cups. Now it’s time to pull that perfect shot.

I wish there was a unicorn.  I don't think he has been invited yet.  Let me know if you find one.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 9:53am

(punt)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 4:17pm

Everyone has to start somewhere and asking questions is a very good start.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 6:22pm

In the FWIW Dept., I wrote a lengthy post about why super-autos were not a good idea, but decided that -- since you apparently wanted one -- telling you not to was a waste of time, ergo "punt."

In case you haven't noticed, there is no way -- at least none that I know of -- to delete a post once made.

dsas

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 6:49pm

That's a lot to infer from "(punt)".  Allow me to illustrate how that notion could have been better communicated:

"As someone who's been doing this a long time, I strongly recommend you "punt" and stay away from the super automatics, and here's why: >link to your aforementioned post on the subject<"

I would have found that very helpful.

I understand there's no way for me to delete posts, though the moderator has done it for me.  I stand by my assessment.

My apologies to the moderator for breaking the rules!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 7:27pm

"Punt" was my way of saying I'm punting this question -- meaning, "I pass."  It had nothing to do with recommending you do anything.

That said, not wishing to cause any further disturbances with misunderstood football analogies, I'll stick to the point at hand:

Super-automatics sacrifice quality in the cup for the convenience of getting it there.  Ergo, if you value convenience more than quality, a super-auto may be for you.  OTOH, if you want both -- high quality espresso and the convenience of a super-auto, then -- yes -- you're looking for a unicorn.  (And let's not forget, this presumes your wife will be as happy drinking americans as she is with brewed coffee.)

JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 8:17pm

One of the major issues with (most) superautomatics that affects quality in the cup is the lack of temperature stability for brewing.  Good espresso must be brewed in a fairly tight temperature window.  

I've never seen one of the Quickmill "Monza Deluxe" machines in person, but it has a programmable, heated, metal brew group so I believe there is a good chance that it could make a great espresso.  Unfortunately it is also more than twice your stated budget at around $2600

The superauto machines I've seen that sell at or under $1k generally produce poor results, even when using prime time coffee beans.  (EDIT) Most of the available superautomatic machines use plastic brewing groups.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
Panisse

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 7:12am

My wife and I have been using, and loving, the "Delonghi Magnifica Cappuccino" that came with our rental here in France since September 2011. I think that's the model that corresponds to #ESAM 3300. The espresso is the best coffee we have ever made at home. And it is easy to crank up the water to make a more diluted drink whenever our guests request "café américain." It will be no surprise to readers here that it is better to use beans than pre-ground coffee, and that the quality of the beans we put in the top makes a huge difference in the coffee that comes out the spout. We've settled happily on Mexican beans from the local organic grocery. Comments I have seen about the tendency of grounds to migrate within the machine are accurate; and probably too the complaints that the inner parts are not all professional quality and designed to last forever. But my guess is that if well-maintained and regularly cleaned these babies should last for several years of regular use at least. I would not buy one if I were about to open a coffee bar; but we are going to get one for our house in the US. (Which is why I stumbled across this forum.)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advice re:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.427977085114)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+