Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 66 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sae

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler,...
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Melita one cup
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn popper
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:46pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

For the money 1099.00 CAD at http://laruso.ca/ (special) you cannot even come close.

That's the cheapest price I have seen for the dual boiler in Canada. How was your buying experience with them?
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeesykes
coffeesykes

Espresso: NUOVA SIMONELLI  Personal,...
Grinder: Ditting KFA 1203,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Paper, Aeropress, Vacumn...
Roaster: Ambex YM-2, Sonofresco...
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:55pm

Laruso is ok to deal with, I would call on the phone to make your order. The person I dealt with says this price is a limited time offer but I just looked and its still at this price.  Free shipping and they only charge GST a plus for me being in Quebec.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sae

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler,...
Drip: Melita one cup
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn popper
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 1:06pm

I just noticed that idrinkcoffee.com also has it on sale for $1099

Click Here (www.idrinkcoffee.com)
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 1:06pm

coffeesykes Said:

I will play around more but my initial impressions are the double basket is useless, I dose it all the way grind a fine as possible and my shots are watery and the pump reach 5 bars max, single basket I am getting consistent 8.5 - 9 bars and average 20-25 second shots.

Posted April 21, 2012 link

you're wrong there, mate.  as we have been raving about our BDB's, and rightly so, you shouldn't think for a minute that breville has overlooked proper design of it's baskets--and they haven't. in fact, the breville baskets are made to highest standards of quality control, as we have seen in earlier posts. it is doubtful that even VST baskets are higher quality, (just different design). bubbadude has given you good advice about going back to basics to figure out why your shots are too fast.  grind not fine enough is the first path to follow.

coffeesykes Said:

I have ordered a VST 18 gr double basket so I can tamp properly.

Posted April 21, 2012 link

wrong again.  you or anyone can tamp properly with the breville baskets.  you just have to understand tapered baskets .  they are a tapered wall basket.  but they are not that way because breville is stupid.  they have advantages.  advantages that some of us like, such as a nice, easy, clean release into the knock box .  anyhow, the key to getting a good tamp from a tapered basket is to have the right amount of beans in the basket--neither too much or too little. a lot of us have good luck with 18.0 grams, (which means NOT 17.5 or 18.5).  not to mention that a whole gram of delta from one shot to another is not in keeping with geek standards.

-peter
coffeesykes
coffeesykes

Espresso: NUOVA SIMONELLI  Personal,...
Grinder: Ditting KFA 1203,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Paper, Aeropress, Vacumn...
Roaster: Ambex YM-2, Sonofresco...
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 2:19pm

I do love Coffeegeek people. I appreciate the feedback, I have packed the double basket with as much as coffee as it will take, I assume my Baratza Maestro cannot go fine enough, will retry things with Azkoyen dosing grinder, its does very fine grind. Like I said I just starting playing with machine, I can always us the VST basket on my Nuova Simonelli. Will post my results.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 5:47pm

dagoat Said:

it is doubtful that even VST baskets are higher quality, (just different design).

Posted April 22, 2012 link

This is an incorrect assumption.  
The Breville baskets are nice, but VST is different technology.  

coffeesykes Said:

I assume my Baratza Maestro cannot go fine enough, will retry things with Azkoyen dosing grinder

The Maestro is "iffy" at best for espresso, and nowhere near consistent enough for VST baskets.  The Azkoyen may fare better but I'm not familiar with the model you have so I cannot say for sure.  

It's not just how fine the grind is.  
Most great espresso grinders exhibit a (consistent) particular bimodal particle size distribution.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 6:16pm

JonR10 Said:

This is an incorrect assumption.  
The Breville baskets are nice, but VST is different technology..

What's the difference between a "different design" and a "different technology?"

They're both made out of metal with holes in the bottom. The Breville baskets have a smaller number of very regular round holes and a wall at an obtuse angle to the floor. The VSTs have more holes with a less regular shape and a wall at a right angle to the floor. The VST is a faster basket than the Breville (has less resistance to the flow) so any grind/dose that gushes in the Breville will gush in the VST.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 7:58pm

BubbaDude Said:

What's the difference between a "different design" and a "different technology?"

VST has patented a QC system and developed a proprietary process.  
Look at both baskets under strong magnification for clues.  

BubbaDude Said:

The VSTs have more holes with a less regular shape ....

I disagree.  The size and shape of each of the VST basket holes is more uniform than on any other basket I've ever seen.  
(That's another clue)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
agoldberg

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 8:02pm

BubbaDude Said:

They're both made out of metal with holes in the bottom. The Breville baskets have a smaller number of very regular round holes and a wall at an obtuse angle to the floor. The VSTs have more holes with a less regular shape and a wall at a right angle to the floor. The VST is a faster basket than the Breville (has less resistance to the flow) so any grind/dose that gushes in the Breville will gush in the VST.

The VST basket has been engineered to an incredible level of precision.  The basket is centered to with a millimeter and the holes are consistent to within 20 micrometers.

The hole pattern in the VST basket is specifically designed for even extraction.  If you're getting that much of a gush, you might want look more at your grind or tamp.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 8:26pm

JonR10 Said:

VST has patented a QC system and developed a proprietary process.  
Look at both baskets under strong magnification for clues.

So you're calling the QC process a "technology" and the actual product a "design?" That's interesting. I've seen pictures of the Breville basket's holes under high magnification, and it sure doesn't look there's a whole lot to improve on.

And having used both the Breville basket and both the 18g and 22g VSTs, I don't taste much difference either. The advantage of the Breville basket over the VST to me is that it's easier to knock the puck out, and the disadvantage is that the dosing has to be precise.

agoldberg Said:

If you're getting that much of a gush, you might want look more at your grind or tamp.

The fellow who's getting gushers isn't using a VST.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
showing page 66 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.505793094635)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+