Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Yep, another new user who needs some buying advice...
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yep, another new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
jowler

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 1:54pm
Subject: Yep, another new user who needs some buying advice...

Greetings! I'm another guy getting to fork out some hard earned dollars on a very expensive coffee maker who needs some help and advice; but I guess everyone reading this was at this stage once...

I'm getting ready for the big step up from a super to a semi.  We've had a Gaggia Titanium for 3 years, it will soon be my behind the desk work coffee machine.

After devouring the posts of this great site, here is some data to help frame replies:

I drink about 2-3 espressos a day, plus about 2x cappuccinos.  My wife goes for about 2-3 cappuccinos or lattes.  We entertain fairly regularly and the machine would be getting a minor workout every other week or so.  

We are military family, moving about every 2 years, so looking for durability and easy access to repair parts.  Plus since we move so much need to make sure it can be plugged into most any 110v outlet without major rewiring.  We'd like a machine we can keep and use for a couple decades.

Budget:  Around 2,000.  I'm thinking about 300-400 for a grinder and 1200-1600 for the espresso machine, and another 100-200 for misc accessories.  For this kind of money, may sound shallow, but I'd like something not only capable but beautiful as well.

For the Grinder, I'm thinking the Baratza Vario is the best in that price range.

For the Machine:  here is where I need the most help:  So far I like the Breville dual boiler; the Expobar Office Lever, and the Rocket Espresso Cellini Premium Plus V2.

The Breville looks like alot of bang for the buck, but I'm concerned about the long term durability and repairability.  Outside of the machine is not as ascetically beautiful as the others.  Plus concerned the plastics will break during multiple moves.

The Expobar looks very capable, but the temperature swings in several reviews (plus tendency to run hot) concern me.  Looks much more solid and durable which should hold up over time.  I think getting replacement parts Better looking than the Breville, but not as nice as the Rocket

The Rocket, wow beautiful looking machine.  Reviews seem good.  Looks like the craftsmanship is the best by far of the three.   But it is significantly more expensive.  Not sure it is worth the price increase over the Expobar.

So, fellow coffee geeks...what am I missing, what do you recommend? Any other machines with great capabilities you'd buy over one of these three.
cheers
doug
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 2:22pm
Subject: Re: Yep, another new user who needs some buying advice...

Based just on reviews and threads here I would pick the rocket in a heart beat of the 3 your have named.  I am not willing to risk that kinda cash on a Breville till they have proven themselves over time.

If you take out looks as a big factor, if I had your budget I would take New Oscar or Bezzera BZ02S both are just over 1k. (looks are not important to me and I like the cool touch sides of the machine)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rotwang
rotwang

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Pharos, KyM,  Sözen, PeDe
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: No..Cezve
Roaster: nope
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 2:28pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Bezzera BZ02S

Posted April 21, 2012 link

The BZ07 looks much better and is still at the low end of the budget. clicky
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 2:43pm

+1 on the better model.

Coffeenoobie

jowler

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 2:43pm

Thanks for the quick replies!  looked at the Oscar, just did not luck the looks as compared to bright shiny steel of the others.  As to the Bezzera BZ07, good looking, but was not able to find the machine as readily as the others, which concerns me ref repairs over the long haul.  Plus could not find much in the reviews about the machine itself and the differences in its brew group other than it was not E61.

Keep the Jeers and Cheers coming!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 3:02pm

Oscar is easier to clean and doesn't burn.  Shiny is not all it is cracked up to be.  Oscar is easier to move.

Coffeenoobie

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 3:33pm

Welcome, Doug, to CG!

jowler Said:

We've had a Gaggia Titanium for 3 years, it will soon be my behind the desk work coffee machine.

Great use for it!

jowler Said:

For the Grinder, I'm thinking the Baratza Vario is the best in that price range.

That's certainly the best bet (IMHO -- but then again, everything in this post is my opinion)) in terms of buying new.  I wouldn't overlook the possibility of buying a Mazzer Super Jolly or even a Mazer Major USED, and then getting a new set of burrs.  Your grandchildren will be using that Mazzer long after the Baratza Vario has moved to that Big Garage Sale in the Sky.  (Keep in mind I have a Baratza Vario and I love it!)

jowler Said:

For the Machine:  here is where I need the most help:  So far I like the Breville dual boiler; the Expobar Office Lever, and the Rocket Espresso Cellini Premium Plus V2.

Uh . . .

jowler Said:

The Breville looks like alot of bang for the buck, but I'm concerned about the long term durability and repairability.  Outside of the machine is not as ascetically beautiful as the others.  Plus concerned the plastics will break during multiple moves.

Breville may have turned a corner with their new DB, but I'd like it to be on the market for a couple of years before I would ever consider recommending it. Lots of people are saying nice things about the Breville DB, but history is not on their side, either in terms of reliability or customer service.  So I remain cautious.  Besides, I think you have a valid concern in terms of "multiple moves."

jowler Said:

The Expobar looks very capable, but the temperature swings in several reviews (plus tendency to run hot) concern me.  Looks much more solid and durable which should hold up over time.  I think getting replacement parts Better looking than the Breville, but not as nice as the Rocket

I would pass.  I used to have one, and while I've never read anything bad about the Expobar Brewtus, I personally had a horrible experience with an Expobar Office -- the quality control seems lower on Expobar's HX machines than their DB Brewtus.

jowler Said:

The Rocket, wow beautiful looking machine.  Reviews seem good.  Looks like the craftsmanship is the best by far of the three.   But it is significantly more expensive.  Not sure it is worth the price increase over the Expobar.

Never owned a Rocket, but those who do continually rave . . .

Also look at a Quick Mill Andreja Premium, and/or Bezzera BZ07 . . .

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jowler

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 5:36pm

Jason,
great reply as always!  

ugghhh, why did you have to show me the Quick Mill?  The Andreja Premium looks great, and has some great reviews, and what looks to be outstanding quality.    

The Bezzera BZ07 has some good reviews as well, not to mention the price,  although I like the design and appearance of the Rocket and Quickmill better.

Looked again at the Brewtus, since your reply matched the nagging feeling I've had about the Office Lever.  Seems like you get alot with the Brewtus, but the price is higher than what I'd like to spend, and both the Quickmill and Rocket seem built with better quality, appearance, and price points.

SO... if down to the QM or Rocket,  what say you experts?  is it just down to personal preference based on appearance?  or are there significant performance or quality issues to consider?

thanks again!
Doug
GlenO

Espresso: Rocket Cellini PP
Grinder: Forte AP, Macap M4 Stepless;...
Roaster: HotTopB-2k, UFO/TO
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 5:46pm

If you're willing to go with the older version of the Rocket Cellini Premium Plus, check with various dealers.  It should still be available at a reduced/close-out price for a few hundred dollars less than the V2.  The only significant differences are the insulated boiler and a built-in brew head gauge on the V2, both nice to have but not all that critical from the research I did when buying my Rocket.  With the addition of the grinder and accessories you should then be close to your $2k budget.

Have fun with your selection!
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 5:55pm

oooh i want a rocket(and kat and gail from seattle coffee gear do a great job promoting them.  :P)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yep, another new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.458873987198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+