Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu May 3, 2012, 2:22pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

dsblv Said:

I don't see an external PID as a problem.   Based on the video, it looks like Rocket intended the PID to be used to select the basic temp settings.  After setup, you can disconnect the display since it really isn't needed to operate the machine.

Synesso uses an external PID on their machines, so there's a precedent for doing this.  I've owned a PID'd machine and after awhile, I never looked at the display.  If you really look at how the machine gets used, why not make the PID external and removable?  

Before criticizing Rocket on this, I would prefer to understand the reasoning for their decision.  It's quite possible their design is correct.

Posted May 2, 2012 link

This is not to be critical, but to open the door to discussion. It is only possible based on the premise that the system (pid controller, thermocouple and placement thereof, boiler size, etc) works perfectly together. What happens if the system does not work to perfection or close to it?

One of the additional purposes of the display is to show the user any overshoots on the boiler/water temp in the coffee boiler. If the PID is set too aggressive, it will overshoot the desired temp and the user will never know. If the machine sits idle too long, the actual temperature can overshoot the desired programmed temperature. The same goes for any problems that may occur when the machine is operating way below set temp.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SteamPunk
SteamPunk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto2,  VFA...
Grinder: Compak K3 'touch'
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 4:55pm

I prefer the idea of having the PID visable to monitor the two
boiler temperatures at all times.
I guess it's a matter of your idea of esthetics, but I like the looks
of the two red boiler lights and the blue glow from the PID on my
Izzo duettoII, plus, that's what grabs the attention and elicites
comments from our guests!
 View Profile Link to this post
PressedForTime

Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 8:33am

I am currently looking at DB espresso machines, and the ones that seem to check all the right boxes are the Alex Duetto ii and the new R58. A few highly subjective thoughts.

The lack of a visible PID is, to my sense of aesthetics, a big plus, but I understand why others like SteamPunk prefer to see it. There's something satisfying about knowing what's going on in there.  I just think our kitchen already has too many appliances with digital clocks. :)

I don't see myself playing with things like temperature-- dial in for a particular bean, then set and forget. Regarding monitoring the boilers, it seems that problems will be rare, and readily apparent in the cup when they do appear.

On the other hand, where the PID controller on the Rocket might be needed more frequently is the function to turn on and off the service boiler. This seems inconvenient. I like the idea of espresso-only on weekdays but a more relaxed pace with a milk drink on the weekends. Power-saving by switching off the service boiler would be nice. Having to connect an external PID to do this will be a pain, which means it won't be done. The Duetto's physical switch for this seems to be a better implementation. I'm not sure how large the energy saving is. Maybe its not as big a deal as I think? (Anyone know of some real-world numbers on this?)

I suspect I share a lot of the questions that others have. The $300 premium over a Duetto ii is significant if all it does is make the PID display removable. I'm looking forward to the R58's arrival so some real comparisons can be made.

'         ,-""-.
      _r-----i
      \        |-.
       |       | |
       |       | |
       |       |'
      (=====)
ee61
ee61

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 9:53am

Another video.. Here they come..  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVtP1NRcKE
ee61
ee61

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 11:20am

The perfect machine still eludes me.. Here is what I am struggling with concerning R58.

#1 No Giotto body style.  
#2 No Giotto body style.
#3 No Giotto body style.  
#4 Weird and awkward PID via 1980.

So, I am now looking very hard at the Evoluzione V2 because it serves 3 out of my 4 requirements.

PS.  Maybe the gorgeous Giotto could have pulled off the giant "R"

Maybe..
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 11:23am

Another review, from SCG this time

click here
PressedForTime

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 12:11pm

I'm glad to see the ribbon cable is gone... that just seemed too cheap. :)

WLL now has a video of the innards.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBSfikYp7U&feature=related

Pretty... and pretty beefy.

'         ,-""-.
      _r-----i
      \        |-.
       |       | |
       |       | |
       |       |'
      (=====)
ee61
ee61

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 12:40pm

I am a bit more convinced with the R58 after the nice video reviews from SCG and WLL.  I am still between Evoluzione V2 and R58.
stevemodi1989

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 1:48pm

Thanks for given me a such a nice and mind blowing information. I like to know about boiler and I also like to found different types of new boilers. I always eager to know about boiler. It is very useful in factories or other product making resources. But it is very risky because it possible to blast and that time lots of things are damage. So I strongly recommended to use safely.

biomass boilers
ee61
ee61

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 8:36am

Question.. Pressure with PID controller.  On Whole latte Love video review at 4:50 mark..

What is the change they are considering? Pressure from steam boiler change??

Andrew Meo will make it the "temperature" somewhere down the line in the future.. Would this be a software upgrade?

Anyone have any ideas or opinions on this?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBSfikYp7U
showing page 4 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.462343931198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+