Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 6:43pm
Subject: Re: Rocket R58 Dual Boiler Machine Information and Picture

I've had my R58 for about 2 weeks now and I'm finally getting closer to the right settings for cappuccinos that I enjoy. The R58 creates a different espresso from what my old Silvia could produce. I must say that I'm enjoying my cappuccinos from the R58 more now. In order to obtain a drink that I enjoy, I had to test different variations and wasted about 2lb of coffee. Here are the variations:

1. Adjust brew temperature between 102-108 to find the right taste (sourness/bitterness/sweetness).
  2. Adjusted Compak K6 settings to find the right flow/crema
  3. Adjusted Pressure pump to find right flow/crema
  4. Adjusted amount of extraction; currently at a ristretto w/a double basket
  5. Adjusted amount of milk between 2oz to 8oz
  6. Adjusted thaw time of frozen beans

My advice is not to give up and take notes of what you've tested to reduce the amount of time and beans wasted :-) I'll start taking pictures when I gain more experience w/the R58.

Looking forward to Redbird, Blue Jaguar and People's Daily blends that are coming next week.
 View Profile Link to this post
lozinsky

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 8:27pm

Got my R58 about four days ago and I think I have had 20 cappuccinos since then.  Needless to say I am loving the machine.  So far all of the complaints I have read on the forum are no problem for me at all (ie. drip tray too small which i don't think it is, too much pressure coming out the pressure release valve into the drip tray which is not a problem if you close the valve slowly, water in the steam nozzle also not a problem as it takes two seconds to spray it out into the drip tray before you start steaming).  There is not a single thing about it that makes me think twice about my purchase, couldn't be happier.

I have it paired with a Mazzer Super Jolly, took me about 6 shots to get it dialed in to my liking at which point i disconnected the PID and haven't plugged it back in since.  As far as frothing milk goes it was a bit to get used but i have no problem getting decent micro foam with the stock two hole tip - i have the four tip pack on order because I want to see if the four whole tips are any better.  

I don't have the machine plumbed in and likely wont for some time.  The drip tray is a bit small but i like that because it doesn't take up a lot of space.  My solution is to run the drain hose down beside the portable island that the machine is on into a small bucket with a whole drilled in the top.  The bucket has the capacity of about 4 x the drip tray which means i can leave the drip tray in place and just empty the bucket every few days.  I came up with this after realizing that there was no way that i would want to empty the drip tray every day or even every other day.  Plus the machine looks way cleaner with nothing in the drip tray which is a plus.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 2:36am

lozinsky Said:

Got my R58 about four days ago and I think I have had 20 cappuccinos since then.  Needless to say I am loving the machine.  So far all of the complaints I have read on the forum are no problem for me at all (ie. drip tray too small which i don't think it is, too much pressure coming out the pressure release valve into the drip tray which is not a problem if you close the valve slowly, water in the steam nozzle also not a problem as it takes two seconds to spray it out into the drip tray before you start steaming).  There is not a single thing about it that makes me think twice about my purchase, couldn't be happier.

I have it paired with a Mazzer Super Jolly, took me about 6 shots to get it dialed in to my liking at which point i disconnected the PID and haven't plugged it back in since.  As far as frothing milk goes it was a bit to get used but i have no problem getting decent micro foam with the stock two hole tip - i have the four tip pack on order because I want to see if the four whole tips are any better.  

I don't have the machine plumbed in and likely wont for some time.  The drip tray is a bit small but i like that because it doesn't take up a lot of space.  My solution is to run the drain hose down beside the portable island that the machine is on into a small bucket with a whole drilled in the top.  The bucket has the capacity of about 4 x the drip tray which means i can leave the drip tray in place and just empty the bucket every few days.  I came up with this after realizing that there was no way that i would want to empty the drip tray every day or even every other day.  Plus the machine looks way cleaner with nothing in the drip tray which is a plus.

Posted August 13, 2012 link

Congratulations on a successful launch of your new Rocket!  While your machine is still under warranty I would at least give it a test hookup to house water to listen for the weird high pitched buzzing noise. That is the only time my Rocket made that noise and yet it was silent when running off the internal water tank and no house hose connected.

The second Rocket that was going to be shipped to me was damaged in shipping!  WLL was out of Rockets AND out of the Mini Mazzer Electronic type A sooooo I just gave up and requested my money back.

Good Customer Service is very important.
Bgosselin

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 11:45am

RoryM Said:

I have had my R58 for a month and a half now. It is a beautiful machine. I upgraded from an Isomac Tea V1, which I loved. I drink a lot of lattes and wanted more steam power. So far I have been happy with the machine but have not been able to pull any decent shots for the life of me. I could routinely pull amazing 2oz shots with thick columns of crema in 25 to 30 sec range on my Tea. I have been trying everything from different tamping techniques to grind settings to different espresso blends from local roasters in San Francisco. All of the beans I use are under a week and a half old. I have played around with pump pressure ranging from 8 to 9.5 bars and different temperature settings. Nothing seems to work. My shots are not showing signs of channeling. The espresso comes out of my naked portafilter very watery and blonds in the 12 sec range. If I grind very fine I can get a semi decent column of crema but the shot is in the 40 to 50 second range and is very bitter tasting. The only thing I can think of that differs from the Isomac Tea on the brew side is the rotary pump vs vibe pump. It is my understanding that a rotary pump delivers instant pressure where a vibe pump takes 7 seconds or so to build up to max brewing pressure. Have others with an R58 been able to pull amazing thick syrupy shots? Any advice for what I might be doing wrong? I haven been using a double shot basket that came with the machine.

Posted August 4, 2012 link

I'm having steady shot.  I use a naked porta filter has well.  I had a similar problem when I tried to make decaf the first day.  Turns out the coffee beans were just to dry.  With regular espresso relatively fresh from the store it's very good.  It has to be a combinaison of tamping and espresso grinding.  I have to grind very fine.  Almost the finest setting on my Baratza vario.  And my tamping is let say...manly!  :)

Bruno
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 5:57pm

The metal lining that surrournds the water tank is prone to rust. For those that are plumbed in, this is probably not a concern.

:-(
AnthonyM
AnthonyM

Espresso: Rocket R58, Rancillio Silvia...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 5:59pm

I received a Rocket R58 today, purchased from a new lot received last week by WLL.

Fortunately, there does not appear to be any shipping damage.  I even opened up the box and checked the drip tray before signing for the delivery.  It was sent by special carrier, however, not UPS/FedEx.  The only thing amiss was a button on the PID control box that had fallen off, down into the packaging.  I just pushed it back on, and it seems fine now.

I was gentle installing it, half afraid I might somehow break the tray I've seen cracked in pictures from other posts.  It seems to be fine, though.  It makes me wonder if there really is a problem with the construction of the tray, or if other delivery methods are really that rough.  It would suck if it later breaks from normal use, or the next time I need to move.  I'll post some closer pictures of where the drip tray meets the rest of the machine.

The firmware version is 5.10, dated 19/06/2012.  There is an option to switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius, which according to some video reviews is absent in previous versions.

I plumbed the machine into an Everpure SCS 350 filtration system.  An adapter for converting from the machine's stock hose to a 3/8" male connection was actually included in the package, so I didn't have to use the pieces I had ordered from McMaster-Carr.   I did not experience the buzzing noise others have observed, in either the plumb or water tank modes.

I've never hooked up a drain line before, so I may be doing something wrong, but I did run into a few issues.  There is a smaller, plastic tray that the full metal drip pan drains into.  The smaller plastic tray can overflow if it doesn't drain fast enough.  I had to tweak the path of my drain line quite a bit before it all flowed correctly, but it seems to be doing fine now.  I wish I could hook up the drain line directly to the larger pan, avoiding the smaller plastic tray altogether.  I may look into this later.

I'm coming from a Rancillio Silvia with a Fuji Electric PXR3 PID, and Mazzer Mini.  Even with the PID'ed Silvia, I had to temperature surf, flushing the system and iniating the brew as the boiler hit the right temperature.  I was tired of that, and it became one of the primary motivators for selecting a dual boiler setup.  I've only had a few hours to experiment, but I've noticed an immediate improvement over my last setup.

It's unfortunate that many have experienced problems with this machine.  I was hesitating myself, considering some of the other posts.  Hopefully these issues have been resolved.

AnthonyM: Rocket-R58-SMALL.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Anthony M
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 8:02pm

BLrdFX Said:

I gave up on the R-58 because of the weird noise I encountered made me very uneasy about it's longevity.  I could get good shots but had to switch from my old faithful Peet's to a different blend from a local roaster.  My wife and I both still like the one of Peet's decaf(yeah, I know, why drink decaf) but for the morning lift off with the rocket I switched roasters.

I waited for the second Rocket but with shipping issues and just the overall hassle I gave up and sent everything, even the Ceado E-37 grinder, back.  Ceado is being replaced with a Mazzer.  Not sure what to replace the Rocket with but in the meantime my almost 7 year old Rancilio Silvia will have to do :-(

Posted August 4, 2012 link

I am now using this La Marzocco GS/3 MP and am waiting for a Versalab M3 grinder to show up on my doorstep.  A big step forward but the shots are good and the foam is easy and there is a lot of control.  The biggest thing is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it right out of the box.  It worked as advertised the minute I turned it on without messing around and I got it in 2 days!  Customer Service was fantastic!

Can hardly wait for the grinder.  The Mazzer was back ordered so I gave up on that entire process, I was recommended to get a Compak K-10 Fresh but the thing is so large that I could not see it in my little kitchen so Versalab  got my business.

BLrdFX: IMG_0018.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Scotts

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Valentina
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 1:21pm

Hi BirdFX- congrat's on the GS/3!  How did you decide on the GS/3?  There are other great machines in the R58 price range, some that even cost less, such as the Izzo Duetto and the Vivaldi.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 3:48pm

Scotts Said:

Hi BirdFX- congrat's on the GS/3!  How did you decide on the GS/3?  There are other great machines in the R58 price range, some that even cost less, such as the Izzo Duetto and the Vivaldi.

Posted August 15, 2012 link

The Duetto was a serious contender but the convenience of the front load water tank AND the plumb-in capability got my vote.  The pressure profiling of the paddle machine was what I liked about the E-61 groups heads but the exterior of the machine is way easier to clean being flat without gauges in the way.  Also the tea/americano water being adjustable temp is also a plus.

And then the final consideration was that I got a "Buyers Remorse" deal which lowered the price.  The GS/3 has been around a while, like the Vivaldi, so the kinks are pretty much worked out of it.

Stephen
Scotts

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Valentina
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 5:51am

Interesting, when I looked in the Consumer Reviews section of CG (on title bar at top of screen), I could not find a product page to post or see reviews.
showing page 11 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket R58 Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.474239826202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+