Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
if you had a choice...super-auto or manual & grinder kit??
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > if you had a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
fabchef

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 7:27pm
Subject: if you had a choice...super-auto or manual & grinder kit??

Hi guys, was talking to my bro tonight and he suggested to sell off what i have (saeco magic combi and gaggia "espresso") and just get ONE machine. He suggested a super-auto machine. We have been dealing with saeco for years, and i've come to the point that i don't really like the whole fake pressurized system they have as it just makes a "fake" creama as opposed to the one that a bar-type machine would make..the real deal. So are there any super-auto machines that, you believe, make the real deal coffee? or are they all the same, and i should stick to a manual type machine (ie: gaggia classic) with a good side grinder? if a real, good super-auto machine exists, which make and model would you recommend?
thanks
fabs
 View Profile Link to this post
adan0327
adan0327

Espresso: la cimbali m32 dosatron 3...
Grinder: Astoria Super Jolly
Vac Pot: hario tc2
Drip: chemex, v60,kalitta...
Roaster: Lol.... Pan :D
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 7:59pm
Subject: Re: if you had a choice...super-auto or manual & grinder kit??

Straight shots is best on semis. super autos are good for people who like milk drinks with convenience. At times even store bought coffee can be "alright" with milk. My friend has a mid ranged saeco super auto, its alright but he does admit my PIDd semi is better for both straight shots and milk drinks. Superautos make pretty decent milk drinks though. Superauto milk drinks still make better drinks than your average cafe. The real question is do you have time to preheat your machine grind,distribute, tamp, and steam? What kind of drinks you prefer? If you have a busy schedule go with a superauto.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 8:14pm

Respectfully, IMO (and most here)there is NO way a SA (even one of the $3k variety that can make a better milk drink than a semi auto, or auto machine (an Auto machine is a "DIY" machine, it just has controls to program the AMOUNT of liquid per single/double, so you can just let it rip, and steam at the same time without having to cut of the shot whilst steaming. They generally cost more than a semi (assuming they're both either HX or both DB)

There ARE a few new Auto machines,  with a lowered price.

My recommendation is a nice HX, which does awesome milk drinks, and a competent grinder, such as a Baratza Preciso, Vario, used Mazzer SJ, etc.

This is, of course if you want the real thing.
However, bear inn mind that NO machine makes anything but dreck without artisan fresh roasted to order coffee, either an espresso blend, or SO (single origin).
Or, like many, you can easily roast it yourself.
But that's ANOTHER thread for another time.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fabchef

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 8:40pm

so what do i like? i like a really good,smooth espresso. In the morning i make caffe&latte for my wife and i, but after that it's just me and i love  agood espresso. Like a true Italian....no cappuccino after noon! hahahaha
SO what i gather is that if it's for what i'm looking for,  a SA is not really the way to go? I've heard that alot of these new SA machines can be quite finiky and i agree.
I do have the time and patience to heat up the machine, grind the beans in a good grinder and tamper it down, that's not a problem. My wife has complained a bit about the access grounds going all over the counter, but i don't think it should be a pivital factor.
also ...what is a HX machine????
thanks
fabs
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > if you had a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361352205276)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+