Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Espresso for under $300
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ESL
ESL
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer MINI
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 5:01am
Subject: Re: Espresso for under $300

You can buy a used machine from fleabay for relatively short money.  A friend is about to list an isomac millenium for a reserve of $300. 7 years old but very well kept.
 View Profile Link to this post
primacoffee
primacoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 8:43am

Two thoughts on this:

Under $300 -

1) Mypressi Twist ($149) - makes excellent espresso, only have to purchase N20 cartridges (bonus: ultra portable).
2) Baratza Encore Grinder ($129) - Baratza's newest grinder and probably the best entry level electric grinder that can grind espresso. (though if you want to splurge a little bit more on the grinder, the Preciso is even better with its micro adjustments)

$400 Price Point -

Frankly, if you are willing to spend $300 on a machine, I might try to entice you up to $400 with the new ZPME espresso machine that is coming out soon. http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com/  This machine appears to be the best machine for its price that is out [edit: this machine is still in pre-production at the time of this post], though this is based upon specs and estimates at this point and not actual testing.  This does appear to be a great espresso machine that, at the very least, will be worth keeping your eyes open about.

Also, as a side note, a great grinder is better than a great espresso machine, so to begin with, if you have to stick close to your budget, I would advise investing in a better grinder and going with the Mypressi Twist to begin with so you can still have great shots until you can save up for a better home machine to go with your grinder.

Prima Coffee Equipment
http://prima-coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 2:22pm

that sounds like solid advice about the mypressi + good grinder and saving up for and watching sales for a bargain espresso machine down the line.

For traveling it would be great later on.  How much cost per cup does the cartage add?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 2:36pm

Wow, I really like the programming from the USB card and smart phones down the line.  That gets me excited... I am a computer nerd.  Not so excited about not being able to steam and brew, but everything else looks really neat and well thought out.  That would have been a contender for me if I was just starting out now.  However, I am very happy with my ugly Oscar.  He was just unloved and now he is a star in my kitchen. And only $75 more than their starting costs.  I have had to fix him up a bit.  So, I am not going to ditch him for all the iphone driven coffee makers in the world.  :)

Coffeenoobie

no7fish

Espresso: Pasquini Livia
Grinder: Hario (+DeWalt)
Drip: plastic pour-over
Roaster: hot air popper
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 7:39pm

So, this is my first post here also.  I was, not that long ago, just like you.  I wanted espresso and I didn't want to invest a ton of $$ in equipment.  What I ended up with was a good deal on a *$ Barista (saeco via venezia) for $80 and I shimmed my black and decker burr grinder to get an appropriate grind.  I made decent espresso at best.  Definitely not good, but decent.  I had to do a lot to get it too.  

I was in the mood to upgrade in about 3 weeks.  I found a smokin' deal on a Pasquini Livia for $300 minus the portafilter.  That was $100, the cleaning cost only time, and I invested in a Hario hand grinder (which someone else mentioned does INDEED get old fast, esp when trying to learn a machine) that I promptly chucked up to my cordless drill.  

At this point, having been graced with all sorts of luck, I'm still a safe $150 over your budget.  That's in no way intended to deter you.  In fact, the opposite.  Get on craigslist, stay on it and you will find a deal.  You might have to travel for it but they're there.  

You could get by with one of the little machines for a bit and ignorance may be bliss.  If you are an experienced espresso'r or if you prefer milk drinks it might be fine, but you're going to need a grinder one way or the other, and you'll probably want something with a proper portafilter too.

May not have been helpful but that's where I'm at coming from exactly where you are.
primacoffee
primacoffee

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 6:21am

Coffeenoobie Said:

that sounds like solid advice about the mypressi + good grinder and saving up for and watching sales for a bargain espresso machine down the line.

For traveling it would be great later on.  How much cost per cup does the cartage add?

Posted April 2, 2012 link

Estimating about $20 for a 24 pack of N20 Cartridges and going by Mypressi's claim of 4 doubleshots or 8 singleshots per cartridge, my assumption is that it will cost approximately $0.30 per doubleshot or $0.15 per singleshot for the cartridge cost.  Again, these are just estimates.

Prima Coffee Equipment
http://prima-coffee.com
coffeecupcollector

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012, 5:39am

I've tried a Gaggia New Baby and for this money, it's really ok. Why not trying it out in a shop?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Apr 8, 2012, 10:13am

coffeecupcollector Said:

Why not trying it out in a shop?

Posted April 8, 2012 link

Well, I cannot speak for Switzerland, but here in the US, it's not NSF certified and therefore cannot be used in a commercial setting.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 1:36pm

Maybe he meant try it out in a show room, not a coffee shop.

I think I would spend the full 300 on a good grinder and try to pick up a used starbucks machine from craigslist for about 100 or less as soon as I could save the extra 100.  Then I would set a jar by the starbucks machine and every time I pulled a shot I would tip myself and then use that money to buy myself a nicer machine in 6 months or a year.  Maybe by then the guys will have their new machine made.

Coffeenoobie

GlennT

Espresso: Kraps Il Primo Steam Wanabe...
Grinder: Baratza Priciso
Drip: Aeropress & "Don't ask don't...
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 2:05pm

To be blunt, I recommend doing what I did:
Buy a versatile grinder like a refurbished Precisio and an Aeropress, and then save for an espresso machine. At least the grinder will work for drip, Aeropress and espresso w/o a need to upgrade in a few months.

I prefer buying quality stuff that will last than "starter" equipment that will be totally inadequate after a few months of use.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.43842291832)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+