Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Crossland Espresso Machine Project - potential game changer
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Crossland...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010, 4:35pm
Subject: The Crossland Espresso Machine Project - potential game changer

So today I got some further details on a project that my very good friend Bill Crossland is working on. Some of what was discussed has to stay close to the chest (for design, invention, marketing, pricing reasons), so I hope everyone will understand that, but today there's a lot more I found out that can be discussed.

For those of you who don't know, Bill Crossland was the head of US operations for La Marzocco, and the chief guy on the GS/3 project. That is the last mention I'll make of the GS/3 because Bill doesn't want comparisons drawn between his new project and that one, and feels the two are for two completely different markets. Bill left La Marzocco in Oct, 2008, and decided to focus his new career on getting Crossland Coffee off the ground, and working on a new market for him - design of consumer machines.

Very few people knew about this work, but with SCAA around the corner Bill is hoping to show off the prototype at the show (this is really up in the air btw - he's not sure yet if he can do it) - I figure the time is right to get some details into the public.

I call this machine a potential game changer for four reasons.

Pricing is to be competitive. We're not talking the plus side of $5K here - we're talking the minus side, and if things work out for Bill, way down on the minus side. The competitive pricing is in relation to the scope of consumer HX machines. This is all I can say about pricing right now.

This machine will feature pressure profiling, but much more exciting is the design is to be  temperature profiling as well. This is still iffy, as there are issues. It is, however, designed also to be very temperature stable and that works in a brand new way (ie, not a copy or alteration of current temp stability methods on other machines). Temperature profiling is possible, and a goal for the machine.

The machine is designed in the US, for the US (and Canadian) market, with US/Canada power in mind. It is not being manufactured in in Italy (or the US), and that is part of the process that makes it so competitive in pricing and technology.

Lastly, Bill has a huge surprise for the entire grouphead design. I can't say any more at this point other than to say its going to really alter what everything thinks a grouphead should be (and should be made out of) to the point where it's going to require some re-educating on everyones part. Preconceived notions about grouphead design might have to go out the window.

I'm hoping Bill will join the conversation here to talk more about the machine in the coming months. Me, this is the most excited I've been about espresso machine design and technology since first laying eyes on the GS/3 prototype back in 2005. (oops, I guess I mentioned that machine once more - but that's it! :))

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010, 4:46pm
Subject: Re: The Crossland Espresso Machine Project - potential game changer

Wow, awesome Mark, thanks.  I cannot wait to hear and see more!!  

Are you allowed to tell us how much you have seen?  Have you seen drawings or prototypes of parts, etc?  Did you give any input or do any testing on the design?  Is there a working/mostly working prototype now?

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010, 4:47pm

I've seen a CAD mockup. I've been in touch with Bill since he left LM, discussing the project a few times, offering whatever input I could offer.

Bill has a working prototype in his kitchen, making espresso every day.

EDIT - I discussed with Bill him coming up to Vancouver (after SCAA), and us holding an open testing / evaluation session and discussion, having people drop by the Lab to check the prototype out, and broadcasting it all on Ustream.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Fri Mar 19, 2010, 4:53pm

Very exciting indeed.

Curious to what the timeframe will be until they are available for purchase

roast your own
canon

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Mar 20, 2010, 10:38am

Mark....this is exciting news.  I am a big fan of Bill Crossland.  He always was extremely generous with his time in responding to questions about the GS3 Paddle before I bought mine and he wasn't even working for LM.  This is a clear indication of good character in my opinion..

Is there a timeframe that Bill hopes to start talking about his machine and the sales of it?   I am currently collecting all the information on a Speedster and plan to make a purchase before the price increase.  However I would love to know about Bill's machine before making the final decision on the Speedster.

Please keep us posted.

Bob
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Mar 20, 2010, 12:00pm

Mark I can't believe I missed this thread (thank goodness you posted via Twitter).  This is all incredibly exciting and I too hope Bob will join this discussion with updates and any information he can divulge.  Persoanlly I'd love to hear the story, inspiration and ideas behind the Crossland project.

Finally, incredibly relieved that hopefully the GS/3 experience can be a model from which this project can benefit.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 20, 2010, 4:56pm

Perhaps we can discuss the grouphead in more detail, while maintaining patentable protections? When you say 'material' do you mean to say the material itself maintains the thermal stability, or is it the 'saturated' group that dictates its stability? It would seem that neither of the current thinking allows for both pressure and temp profiling WHILE simultaneously giving thermal intra and intershot stability...does the Crossland Project appear to resolve this?
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Mar 20, 2010, 6:15pm

Is this going to be on the market soon, or are we going to be hearing about it for several more years before it's available, like the GS/3?  I suppose it's also worth noting that the GS/3 was supposed to sell for $4500...

I'm happy to put any upgrade thoughts on hold for the time being, but not if it's just a pipe dream right now.

Also, post more info ;)

Chris
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Mar 20, 2010, 6:21pm

canon Said:

Mark....this is exciting news.  I am a big fan of Bill Crossland.  He always was extremely generous with his time in responding to questions about the GS3 Paddle before I bought mine and he wasn't even working for LM.  This is a clear indication of good character in my opinion..

Is there a timeframe that Bill hopes to start talking about his machine and the sales of it?   I am currently collecting all the information on a Speedster and plan to make a purchase before the price increase.  However I would love to know about Bill's machine before making the final decision on the Speedster.

Posted March 20, 2010 link

At this point, based on what I talked to Bill about, I don't think the Speedster and the Crossland Espresso Machine should be considered in the same class. Bill is doing this machine very specifically for he consumer marketplace, and that includes a) volume of production, b) shots per hour, c) weight, d) size, e) durability, f) pricepoint, g) UL certification, etc etc. This will, from what I can tell, be a machine to produce 4-8 shots a day on (althought I am sure it can bang out shot after shot when pressed, from time to time), whereas Kee's machine is designed 100% commercial, and is only limited by having a single group - otherwise, it is a fully commercial espresso machine, capable of handling commercial volume.

One thing Bill and I talked about is, if the machine becomes successful, he'd love to work with Kees to do a "special edition" of the machine, using Kees' design and styling skills, and put a wrapper around Bill's technology. Long distance dream, but Bill and Kees have a good relationship.

Another thing is that Bill has two patents on what he's doing, and honestly, I fully expect some commercial machine makers to come on board and license his patents for future use in commercial machines - this is why I think this machine is a game changer (or one reason out of several).

For showing - Bill is planning on attending SCAA and wants  show the machine there, but it is still not 100% sure. After that, he and I were talking about him coming up to Vancouver, doing an open Lab session that we'd also ustream.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Mar 20, 2010, 6:23pm

Bob_McBob Said:

Is this going to be on the market soon, or are we going to be hearing about it for several more years before it's available, like the GS/3?  I suppose it's also worth noting that the GS/3 was supposed to sell for $4500...

Posted March 20, 2010 link

One big difference - this isn't La Marzocco. One of the biggest knocks I can make against LM is they engineer some fantastic ideas, then take FOREVER to bring to market.

Bill is now a one man operation, with a mortgage to pay. This machine is his mortgage, a lot more. It is his current career. No one benefits more from the machine coming to market as soon as possible than Bill.

Based on that, I think you'll see this machine come to market a lot quicker - it has to for Bill's financial health (I'm assuming).

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
showing page 1 of 15 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Crossland...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430217981339)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+