Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dutch coffeelover needs advices Ascaso/Quickmill/Isomac
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dutch...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
koert3

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 1:58am
Subject: Dutch coffeelover needs advices Ascaso/Quickmill/Isomac

Question/help!

Looking for a new espresso machine. There is much to read, but no good comparison articles.
So maybe somebody on this blog can help me.

Loving the espressos, caffe lattes etc.

So far my preference is a dual boiler or a dual thermoblock which is better?
Iím looking for now at the following models:
Ascaso Duo Pro Thermo or Boiler, love the looks of the machine but donít like the buttons they look a bit shaky.  
QuickMill 03004L Cassiopea with lever switches -Coffee Machine with double heat exchanger. I heard some really good things on the Quickmill anybody any experience?
Or the Isomac Tea with the E61 unit but this is maybe a bit out of my league, as it is my first espresso-machine.

Hopefully somebody can give me some advice.  Maybe there is even an better machine more suitable for a starting coffeegeek like me.

Thanks for your help!
 View Profile Link to this post
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 7:50am
Subject: Re: Dutch coffeelover needs advices Ascaso/Quickmill/Isomac

Hello, welcome to coffeegeek.  The question you're asking could take a book to effectively answer.  The best I can recommend is read up more on the types of machines and how they operate.  Try:

How to buy an espresso machine
How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the right price
Here
here Especially Espresso Machines 101 & 201.

Good espresso.....Great espresso isn't a cheap game.  The more you spend on the equipment the easier it becomes to routinely pull great espresso.  That said, you can get good to great espresso on entry level equipment, just not easily.  Entry level is still probably $600 - $1000 for grinder and machine.

First and most important is the grinder makes the coffee, the machine just pushes hot water through the grounds.  You can get better results with a great grinder and mediocre espresso machine.  Second is the coffee itself.  Good coffee in general comes from beans that have been ROASTED within two weeks.  If you haven't tried fresh coffee, you don't know what you're missing.  Coffee that's been roasted within two weeks NOT "opened" or having a "best by" date within two weeks.  True espresso is made when you push hot water through properly ground coffee at about 9BAR pressure for around 25 seconds.  To grind the coffee correctly (meaning evenly at very fine settings), you need a good quality burr grinder.  Entry level is about $200 for a Baratza grinder, preferably $300 for a Baratza Preciso, or $400 for a Baratza Vario.  You can go up from there easily!

Finally, to answer your question, there's a night and day difference between dual boiler & thermoblock.  Thermobock is a small metal block with channels.  Water passes through the channels and heats on the fly.  This does not offer thermal stability, so your espresso will be extracted with varying and poor temperature control.  Dual boiler means two boilers.  One dedicated to brewing and the other dedicated to steaming.  Dual boiler is much much better.

I think the Cassiopea is what Chris Coffee sells in the US as Silvano.  However, Chris Coffee usually upgrades his machines over the basic Quick Mill line..  Also "dual heat exchanger" is a bad translation to english.   The Silvano has a coffee boiler and a thermoblock for steaming.  There aren't any dual heat exchangers per se.

Isomac Tea is a heat exchanger machine.  This means there is a large dedicted steam boiler with a "heat exchanger" or copper tube running through the middle.  When you brew coffee, fresh water is passed through the heat exchanger, and the heat from the steam boiler flash heats the water to brew temperature.  This type of machine will be able to produce quality espresso and cappuccino quicker than the other machines you mention.  There are a LOT of heat exchangers (HX) out there.  The cheapest starting just around $1,000, but very capable.  HX run up to about $1,800.

If you have a lower demand, and will never or rarely use the machine to host a dinner party, then the Silvano might be a good choice for you if you're in the US.  The silvano will deliver very constant brew temperature, but only "adequate" steam.  It can't churn out a bunch of milk drinks.  Don't know anything about the Cassiopea.

EDITED to tidy it up a bit!

Living the caffeinated life.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dutch...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315187931061)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+