Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Ascaso Dream - Tips on Steaming
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Dream -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
victordweck

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Dream
Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012, 6:15pm
Subject: Ascaso Dream - Tips on Steaming

Hello,

I have another post in the forums about by Ascaso Dream performing with weak steam. However, perhaps I am steaming incorrectly?

I am having difficulty producing microfoam - that "wet paint" or "velvet" texture.

I hold the milk to the middle of the hole in the wand to get that slurping sound, and I do my best to maintain that sound throughout in order to produce the microfoam. Eventually though, the hole stops sucking in and instead produces large bubbles. I don't see microfoam before that point, or else I would have stopped.

Can somebody with the same machine (or knowledge of my situation) provide me with some advice?

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

Victor
 View Profile Link to this post
segala

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: Ascaso Dream - Tips on Steaming

Hi Victor,

I am a coffee machine beginner but I also have an Ascaso Dream.
It took me quite awhile, but I am able to produce nice microfoam on my Ascaso.

When using the panarello tip (the one with the small hole in the middle), I've found that it's best to keep the wand against the side of the steaming jug and slowly as the milk stretches lower the jug. You should hear a sound that sounds a lot like paper ripping.

I have also found that the best microfoam can be made when removing the panarello and leaving the tip bare. It might not be great for the wand, but it makes the best microfoam.

Another tip that I find very useful is to open the steam gauge before the light turns off. This causes the boiler to kick in and give you a constant steam throughout.

I hope that helps!
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 7:50pm

Hi victor, welcome to coffeegeek!

victordweck Said:

I have another post in the forums about by Ascaso Dream performing with weak steam. However, perhaps I am steaming incorrectly?

Posted February 29, 2012 link

I haven't seen your other post, but just an FYI, cross posting within coffeegeek forums is frowned upon.

victordweck Said:

I am having difficulty producing microfoam - that "wet paint" or "velvet" texture.

I hold the milk to the middle of the hole in the wand to get that slurping sound, and I do my best to maintain that sound throughout in order to produce the microfoam. Eventually though, the hole stops sucking in and instead produces large bubbles. I don't see microfoam before that point, or else I would have stopped.

Posted February 29, 2012 link

If you haven't already, you should read this sites milk steaming guide: "The Milk Frothing Guide"

With the frothing aid/panarello wand, steaming is a little different (it talks about it in the guide).  As segala said you want to surf with the small hole in the wand.  Hold that hold at the surface of the milk who you hear the sound of paper ripping.  It should sound like "ch ch ch ch" not "sh sh sh sh" if that makes sense.  As the milk expands you'll need to lower the pitcher to keep the hold at the surface of the milk.  You'll do this until the milk is about 80degF or until the pitcher feels not cold or just slightly warm. This is th stretching phase of milk steaming. this is where you introduce air into the milk and give it volume. The second stage incorporates the milk and foam and continues to heat the milk to the right temo.  At that point you'll need to sink the wand into the pitcher until the temp gets to 150 or until the pitcher becomes too  hot to touch plus another 5-10 sec.  

Some notes; the dream isn't a great steamer, but good microfoam can be produced.  If you end up with foam on top of milk you likely over stretched the milk.  Sink the wand sooner.  Milk makes a difference too.  Fattier milk tends to be easier where skim milk wants to seperate very quickly.  Also, milk brands make a difference too.  Some milks work great and some don't.  If after some practice youre still having issues, feel free to try anoth brand.  Bottom line, is it takes some practice, so have at it!
victordweck

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Dream
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 8:04am

Thanks for the tips you two! The Milk Frothing guide looks awesome and I'm going to begin reading it soon!

In regards to the double post - yeah, of course, I'm aware. That post was a tech support post. Thanks for the heads up.

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to posting pics!

Victor
sniggings

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 8:14am

try only a small amount of milk,my not very good machine works better if I do that,keep everything cold too so you get longer to make the microfoam,I also believe not all machines can produce microfoam,so I'm looking for an upgrade.
lynzie
lynzie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 10:47am

I totally agree with NOT using any of the tips provided with the Ascaso Dream for really great microfoam. I am making ridiculously frothy loose merengey foam much easier than when using the provided tips(any  of them)....I love my Ascaso.  Happy sipping!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ascaso Dream -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39118885994)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+