Espresso: Espresso Machines
Crossland CC1 first experience was DOA **UPDATE: New unit in**
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:11pm
Subject: Crossland CC1 first experience was DOA **UPDATE: New unit in**

Edit 3/2/12: The following post is still how my first experience went. But see below for a better update.

Hey all,

My CC1 arrived today and I was stoked, and then I never even got to pull a single shot. Here's what I found as I was unboxing.

1) It appears to have been used.
--- There was water in the tubes and water chamber
--- The drip tray silver portion didn't have the blue protective cover and had some marring
--- The drip tray black portion has a gouge
--- The water chamber has a mark and there was a small washer at the bottom.

2) Upon first fill, after a minute it had not turned off the pump even when I pressed menu. I turned it off at the switch.

3) I powered it back on, and water this time stopped but the display was blank (no dashes, no word setup, blank).

4) I powered it off and waited 30 seconds, and powered it back on. This time the water was reaching temperature, but it went so high it went to HH.  I waited ~ 5 minutes and powered it back on, still HH. The manual says this indicates a temperature sensor short.

I've already sent this information along for a replacement unit (hopefully I get a call tomorrow morning), but what a bad first impression. I know BillC has a good reputation around here but I'm starting to wonder if I should have just gone with a Gaggia classic or Slivia, because if the electronics can't last the first day, I'm not sure about 5, 10, 15 years from now. But as long as I'm not jerked around with the RMA I'll give it one more chance.
 View Profile Link to this post
samuellaw178
samuellaw178
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:34pm
Subject: Re: Crossland CC1 first experience (Not good, in short)

It doesn't sound like it should be this way at all. If it was indeed tested/used before shipped to you, and the water wasn't cleared properly, there is a chance the water might get into the electronics during shipping and thus causing problems. Water and electronics are no-no no matter what machine it is. For the issues stated, I wouldn't say it's the machine's fault exactly, but rather the one who 'supposedly' tested it before shipping it to you. Could it be a demo or refurbed unit?

I totally understand your feeling, receiving a less-than-expected experience after a long awaited excitement. It's terrible. I hope the vendor would replace or make a compensation to you.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:37pm

I know it's frustrating to get some thing new and its broken out of the box. The water in the tubes could be from testing or calibration. Do you know that tray is suppose to have the blue stuff on it? Who was your vendor? I would expect the electronics to fail early or go the distance. Depending on duty cycle i would venture to say 5 years would be an acceptable live span, 10 years would be an excellent return on your money and well if it made it 15 years that would be miraculous considering the nature of the product.

It might sound like i am making excuses which is not the case really. Sounds like a legit beef(s) you have got there but you could caught in the perfect storm. I would give the Crossland and the reseller the benefit of the doubt. The machines are fairly serviceable when you get under the hood and I am confident it will get set right.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:44pm

I have had a similar experience, twice, with a well-respected supplier. A wrong box was grabbed for shipment and I ended up with a broken machine. But, they sent a pick-up slip, paid for the shipping, and promptly sent me the replacement before they received the bad machine. It pays to deal with dependable suppliers, and it's not always so with the ones that can give the very lowest price.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 7:52am

Seattle Coffee Gear is a decent company - you shouldn't have much trouble getting this resolved - good luck!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
MisterJohnnyT

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 2:55pm

Gig, where did you buy it?  As far as I have seen, SCG is the only place currently selling it officially.

What you described definitely does sound like a used unit.  When I received mine, it was completely dry and it did have that protective film on the tray.  I would not let this experience completely turn you off from the machine.  Get a replacement, and I bet you will end up being very happy with it.  When I received my CC1, rough shipping on the 2000+ mile trip from Seattle to South Florida caused the OPV tube to get pulled into the machine, such that it was not draining where it was supposed to.  This resulted in the unit leaking, which almost made me question the long-term quality, etc.  However, upon opening up the machine, I was able to easily remedy the problem, and I saw that the internal components were high quality and well-built.  I have been making great espresso with it ever since.
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 4:26pm

I have an update -- I called SCG and they were very good about quickly offering to send me a UPS return label. I gave them a credit card for a hold so they would cross-ship my replacement, which should get it here in time for the weekend.

MisterJohnnyT Said:

What you described definitely does sound like a used unit.  When I received mine, it was completely dry and it did have that protective film on the tray.  I would not let this experience completely turn you off from the machine.  Get a replacement, and I bet you will end up being very happy with it.  

Posted February 28, 2012 link

Thanks for reassuring me that asking for a replacement was better than a refund.
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 4:59pm

Why is SCG the only place selling the CC1 now?  Chris' Coffee used to carry it and I contacted them about it and they said they no longer are carrying the CC1.  Is there a problem with it?

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 7:39pm

hotwasabipeas Said:

Is there a problem with it?

Posted February 28, 2012 link

Not that anyone has shared.  I too was skeptical about this, but after thinking about it further (and comments from others here), wouldn't expect a dealer to explain reasons for discontinuing an item....could be quality, failure to reach agreement with manufacturer, supply issues, taking sales from a more profitable machine.....sharing these details would not be beneficial for the dealers and blaming manufacturer for quality issues is only asking for bad press.  Safe route is for dealer to keep mouth shut (or provide vague details), no matter what the reason for discontinuing a line.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 10:31pm

Gig103 Said:

I know BillC has a good reputation around here but I'm starting to wonder if I should have just gone with a Gaggia classic or Slivia, because if the electronics can't last the first day, I'm not sure about 5, 10, 15 years from now. But as long as I'm not jerked around with the RMA I'll give it one more chance.

Posted February 27, 2012 link

I just have to comment on the original post.  I know too well the disappointment of receiving damaged goods (my "new" Behmor had somehow acquired large dents in the side and front), but I really have to object to immediately questioning not the manufacturer (Crossland Coffee) but the individual responsible for the machine's design etc.  Between you and BillC are the shipper, your supplier (SCG), Crossland Coffee the company, and somewhere in there the supply chain.  I know this may be a small point, but it's really not appropriate to immediately connect an individual's personal reputation to your dissatisfaction with some entities' quality control/customer service.  It would be more correct and fair to note that the CC1 has a good reputation around here (if it does...I don't really know).
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.401700973511)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+