Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sae

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler,...
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Melita one cup
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn popper
Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:02am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Thanks for the heads up on the lajura website. They have the cheapest price on the dual boiler that I have seen in canada
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012, 2:26pm

I got my BDB today, and it's everything I expected it to be. I'm still dialing-in the grind and playing with the pressure and temperature, but the first cappuchino I pulled for the wife was declared equal to or better than the best she's had in a Mission coffee shop like Muddy's et al. The OPV is miscalibrated so I'll have to deal with that, but for the time being I'm using the hot water trick to control the pressure.

Very pleased.

Edit: I went ahead and adjusted the OPV to max out at 9.5 bar. I've had too much coffee today, so we'll see how it goes in the morning. The hardest thing about the adjustment was remembering to put the long philips head screw back in the hole on the left. There were pencil marks on the OPV already, which I found kind of interesting. Somebody paid a lot of attention to the thing and still managed to set it at 13 bar before I got it.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shape_shifter
shape_shifter

Espresso: BES900, Aeropress, Presso
Grinder: Spong No.1, BCG800, Kyocera
Vac Pot: Hario 2 cup Syphon
Roaster: UCR (modified popper)
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 7:36am

Ta-da

Just because I can :)

http://nic.steve-tek.com/?page_id=364

Have fun LOL

Any questions just ask away...

...Coffee is FRESH food...

http://nic.steve-tek.com/
ryguy76

Espresso: BES900 Dual Boiler
Grinder: BCG800 Smart Grinder
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 1:16pm

Hi,

I've been reading everything I could find on the new BDB machine after it was recommended to me over the Sylvia.  I've saved my pennies and placed my order on Friday and now sit slightly impatiently awaiting its arrival.  After reading so much about it, I kinda feel like I know the ins and outs of this machine and worry that I may be discouraged if I don't pull a decent shot in the initial tryout.  This will be my first serious espresso machine, so I'll cut myself a little slacking guess.  ;)

I already have the smart grinder, which I received for Xmas after the on/off switch broke on my bcg400.

Just thought I'd say hi, and I'll be back soon to report back on my experiences once I receive it.  Can't wait!

Ryan
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 7:41pm

Congrats Ryan!  I'm jealous, that's the machine I would love to get and hopefully I will be able to afford one by this summer.  If you can you should do an "unboxing" video for YouTube.  Would love to see that!

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 5:48pm

Just so you folks are aware:
Posted today at: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312978609/1276#1276

The (BES900XL) is NOT able to be de-scaled by the user.

The steam boiler is NOT connected to the hot water tap. The steam boiler is a closed circuit from the tank to the steam valve.

If you fill your steam boiler with de-scale, whatever that may be, you will not be able to comletely remove it, no matter how many times you purge from the steam wand, you will not be able to flush out 450ml of de-scale solution.

If you have filled your machine with de-scale solution, then please take it to an authorised service centre & ask them to drain it for you. This does involve removing panels and probes from the boiler & is NOT something we recommend you do.

If you replace the carbon resin filter in the water tank every 2 months as we recommend, then our testing shows it will be approx 3 years before you need to have the machine de-scaled. Prevention is the key, so don't skimp on the filters, especially if you know you live in an area with hard water.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 5:52pm

frcn Said:

Posted January 23, 2012 link

Yeah, we knew that. It's in the manual:

Do not descale this machine. Use the provided water filter especially if you have hard water. Change every 2 months. Contact Breville Customer Service on 1-866-273-8455 or visit www.breville.com for replacement filters or for advice.

Thank you, drive through.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
nixter

Espresso: Giotto Evoluzione, Oscar Pro
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 6:40pm

By the time the first machines need descaling I'm sure there will be some good DIY walk-throughs.
EvilCookie

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 8:19pm

frcn Said:

Thanks for that post!  Also, your website is great! :)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 9:12pm

EvilCookie Said:

Thanks for that post!  Also, your website is great! :)

You are most welcome, and your positive comments are very much appreciated.

I think in the case of this machine, forewarned is forearmed. That is why I posted it, regardless as to those who are knowledgeable of this fact. While there are folks who have no problem opening a machine and doing repairs or service, in this price range an espresso machine that should have a "no user serviceable parts inside" sticker may be a first, but I am afraid that in this age of profit-first and consumer-last it is just the beginning. I feel that it is reasonable to state that a small percentage of owners of espresso machines would be willing to disassemble any machine to replace a heating element, but the inability of the 'average" user to descale a boiler is a real shame.

If we take for granted that three years is a reasonable service period for this, I am thinking that only a small percentage of these machines will make it to see a second such service. By that time with the plastic parts inside and the cost of the service, it could become a case of it costing more to repair that it would be worth to the owner.

But beyond that there is an underlying current here. With all the sophistication in this machine, Breville could have easily programmed the internal electronics with a "descale" function. Something like: element off, ignore level sensor, have user open steam valve, over-fill boiler, timer to wait a number of minutes. Then a flush cycle. Maybe even a boiler drain valve that was accessible externally.

In my opinion, basic descaling should be a maintenance chore that the user should be able to do, and designing a machine so that the average user could assume that they handle it easily is not beyond reasonable expectation. If it lasts long enough, what will the total investment be in two descale-services plus the two-dozen softener cartridges? Are users buying or renting the machine?

And Bubba Dude. How about offering something positive rather than being so juvenile with your comments? Better yet, feel free to ignore my posts.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 16 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389338970184)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+