Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is Elektra Sixties T1 an Upgrade from an Alex Duetto II?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is Elektra...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:11am
Subject: Re: Is Elektra Sixties T1 an Upgrade from an Alex Duetto II?

Is it fair to compare a commercial HX machine to a prosumer DB machine? Isn't it a bit like comparing apples to pears?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 5:59am

That was the question asked, who am I to say what the OP wants to compare to what?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ryandunlap

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 6:19am

NobbyR Said:

Is it fair to compare a commercial HX machine to a prosumer DB machine? Isn't it a bit like comparing apples to pears?

Posted January 12, 2012 link

The way I framed the question, I think you can compare. What I'm concerned with is simply the cappuccino that ends up in the cup (equal barista skills assumed.) Which machine can produce a better cappuccino.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 6:26am

NobbyR Said:

For the home user * it's really about the available steps between the two machines and less about were the subjective classifications lines are drawn. The feature set of any two machines are a constant they are what they are the day you buy it and the day you retire it. The difference in duty cycle is far more important for a commercial environment using a prosumer machine than the other way around. If the duty cycle of the prosumer machine is 2x of normal household use then there is the principle of diminishing ROI for a consumer to purchase a machine with a duty cycle of 6x of normal household use.

Given the OPs original question is the Sixties T1 and upgrade from the Duetto you can argue either side. I would consider the T1 a no more a commercial machine than the GS3. Since I can't really think (granted maybe you can) of any DB machines convincinly positioned between the Duetto and the GS3 I think its a reasonable question. Now if it had been the T1 vs Breville DB which is a DB solidly in the consumer class due to Breville's history, the way the are produced, non users serviceable and the fact that there are a few DB machines solidly between it and the commercial class that is very clearly and apples to pears comparison.

My answer to the OP second question of what "If the Duetto is your current machine what is the next step up?" demonstrates how i have worked this out. Is my Duetto a prosumer machine? Absolutely What would compel me to upgrade? A commercial machine that can do pressure profiling which an additional feature and a game changer for me though the money puts it in the dream category for me. As long as I am dreaming I might as well upgrade from the one group Hydra to the two group Hydra Hybrid.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 7:40am

I agree with much of the above, but i, I think, it is mostly a question of comparing apples and pears . . . except for one thing.

Danger! Danger! Warning, Will Robinson!  Tangent approaching . . .

jwoodyu Said:

I would consider the T1 a no more a commercial machine than the GS3.

I have never seen a GS3 in a commercial environment -- there may be dozens; I just have not seen any -- whereas I have seen many T1's, along with their two-group cousins, the T3, in several different restaurants.  It may be just me, but I have always viewed the GS3 as La Marzocco's entry into the home market.  Why else would they have bothered?  They already had a one-group Linea, which some people -- far more knowledgable about these things than I -- have described as being more robust than the GS3 -- certainly more "tried and true," at any rate.

I would personally describe the Linea 1-group and 2-group as commercial DB machines equal to the Elektra "Sixties" 1- and 2-group commercial machines, while the GS3 is a über high-end prosumer machine.  Indeed, isn't the GS3 the very definition of "prosumer" -- a machine aimed at the consumer market made with professional/commercial-grape components?

Just my 2¢ -- worth far less, I'm sure . . .

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 7:45am

ryandunlap Said:

The way I framed the question, I think you can compare. What I'm concerned with is simply the cappuccino that ends up in the cup (equal barista skills assumed.) Which machine can produce a better cappuccino.

In a HOME environment, Ryan, neither one is making the cappuccino.  YOU are.  And either machine will only be as good as your skills.  Neither machine -- in and of itself, using the same grinder and the same beans -- will be innately be superior to the other.  It's all up to you.

In a COMMERCIAL environment, I'd take the Elektra every time!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 8:05am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

... I have never seen a GS3 in a commercial environment -- there may be dozens; I just have not seen any -- whereas I have seen many T1's, along with their two-group cousins, the T3, in several different restaurants. It may be just me, but I have always viewed the GS3 as La Marzocco's entry into the home market.  Why else would they have bothered? ...

The GS/3 is not available with more than one group, the Elektra Sixties is, like Jason pointed out, which is why I consider it to be a commercial machine capable of producing larger quantities of espresso and frothed milk as needed in a small café or restaurant.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: NS Appia, Oscar
Grinder: K10, Lusso, GM 875
Drip: Pour-Over, FP, Toddy
Roaster: Agapao, Metropolis, CC
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 8:22am

Every T1 I've ever seen on the secondhand market was coming from a restauraunt, bakery, or cafe. OTOH, the GS/3 is a tank based machine with much smaller boiler(s). I think the GS/3 is destined for consumer use, despite it's commercial build quality. Also, the plastic sides are very consumer-ish as well. I don't think that LM would purposely build a commercial machine with plastic casing.

Load and Lock.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 9:42am

Back to the OP's question: Can you upgrade from a DB to a HX machine or is this always a downstep? Or are these two machines so much a different level that you cannot really compare them?

jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 9:48am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

In a HOME environment,
In a COMMERCIAL environment, I'd take the Elektra every time!

No question about that what so ever. :)

Granted I was assuming single group.  A comparison is within reason based on the single group and home user assumption from the OP. I don't think the home user will realize the benefit of the true commercial machine nearly as much as the commercial operation would feel the pain of trying use a prosumer machine. I totally agree it's with either machine the quality of the cappuccino that can be achieved is intrinsic to the user not  machine.

In any event I am crossing the line from my already owned Duetto, or T1 for that matter, for my home I am likely going big time not stopping at the GS/3.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is Elektra...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.546735048294)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+