Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is Elektra Sixties T1 an Upgrade from an Alex Duetto II?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is Elektra...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
ryandunlap

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 9:22am
Subject: Is Elektra Sixties T1 an Upgrade from an Alex Duetto II?

I'll be using the machine solely for cappuccinos, and occasionally will have 4-6 guests over. Thanks.

(My assumption is the massive boiler of the Elektra will produce better steam, and thus better milk.)
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 11:12am
Subject: Re: Is Elektra Sixties T1 an Upgrade from an Alex Duetto II?

These are both superb machines. The Elektra has a large boiler and the Duetto has two boilers, one for steam. Six cappucino's (or twelve for that matter) should be no problem for either machine.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:07pm

The massive 6l boiler of the Elektra will have NO problem steaming for as long as you want to go. The II has a 1.6 l steam only boiler and should be OK, for what you want to do.

A personal choice, for me, I would go with the T1 in a heart beat over the Duetto II but YMMV.

It all really comes down to how you like to work, the power available to you (the T1 requires 20 amps) and which you like the looks of the best.

The Elektra is a no frills, full on commercial machine with no reservations while in my opinion the Duetto is a no doubt high end prosumer machine.

I am not taking anything away from the II it is a very solid machine, but I am a long time commercial or go home guy so my choice between these two is for the T1

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:21pm

ryandunlap Said:

I'll be using the machine solely for cappuccinos, and occasionally will have 4-6 guests over. Thanks.

(My assumption is the massive boiler of the Elektra will produce better steam, and thus better milk.)

Posted January 11, 2012 link

They are both fine machines and if I were buying new and had no bones about a HX vs DB the Elektra is dang fine choice. I don't know that i would trade in a Duetto that I already own, and i do own a Duetto like you, for an Elektra though. It could very well be that the Elektra can kick its butt in steam department but all I can speak to is what the Duetto can do since that is the one I have. I entertain up to 20 pretty regularly  and can easy keep up with my Duetto no trouble.

The quality of steam is measured by a precent of water in the steam. Dry steam has no water but that is just theory really because the instant you crack open a steam valve the steam molecules start bouncing around and cooling off as they escape and condensation starts to happen. Izzo says your steam boiler at 262 degrees will be at 1.5 bar of pressure so the steam should be dry. When  you crack the valve everything that happens after that point that makes the difference. The longer the trip through the tubing and to the tip the more the quality of the steam will be reduced. The temp of the tubing between the boiler and the tip through which your steam has to pass makes big difference.  The temp of the tubing is impacted by the ambient temp of the room and the other internals of your machine. The Duetto has "don't burn me" wands so it might be that it builds more moister on its journey than it would through a "burn me" wand like I think is used on the Elektra. If you purge your steam wand on the Duetto slow enough it warms it up real nice it will improve the quality of the steam according to the MadTamper and I have found this to be true in my case at least.

It's been a long time since the thermodynamic section of my high school physics class but there you have it for what its worth which is likely very little, :)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:34pm

Also consider the steam pressure is related to altitude.  If you're not getting close to 1.5 bar pressure, and feel you want to, you can bump up the boiler temp a few degrees.  You should consult the table in the Duetto manual (which you probably have already downloaded from CCS).  Fortunately, there is an OPV to prevent you from screwing up your machine if you go too high.

I too found TheMadTamper's posted experiences to be very helpful.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ryandunlap

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:56pm

Well I already sold my Deutto so getting something new is a necessity. (I didn't sell to get a new one, I had intended to quite. Don't hate me and at least I'm back.)

Also, I'm not hung-up on HX vs. Dual. What I am stuck on though is I've yet been able to duplicate the quality of cappuccinos I get at someplace like Intelligentsia (Barefoot Coffee Roasters, in my case.) I started with the Pasquini Livia, and sold that soon thereafter for a Rocket Giotto. I loved the Giotto (it was a big upgrade in my opinion), and when I later upgraded to the Duetto, I didn't feel like it was a major upgrade. (The benefits of a dual-boiler were nice.)

I'm educated/skilled enough to feel I have good technique, and don't get me wrong, the cappuccinos are super yummy and have (overrated) latte art. But the quality still doesn't compare to what I find in a third-wave bar. I've always concluded that it's a result of my milk. That my foam isn't as spot on. (Admittedly I use only whole milk and not 5-6% specialty milk they often use in these bars.)

So now that I have to buy a new machine, I'm thinking moving my price point from 2k to something greater. So I guess my question is, if a Duetto II is your current machine, what's the next step up?

(By the way, I'm using a Vario grinder. And, as discussed in a different thread, a Lever machine is out of the question---maybe the next next upgrade!)

Thanks!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 1:38pm

ryandunlap Said:

Well I already sold my Deutto so getting something new is a necessity. (I didn't sell to get a new one, I had intended to quite. Don't hate me and at least I'm back.)

Also, I'm not hung-up on HX vs. Dual. What I am stuck on though is I've yet been able to duplicate the quality of cappuccinos I get at someplace like Intelligentsia (Barefoot Coffee Roasters, in my case.) I started with the Pasquini Livia, and sold that soon thereafter for a Rocket Giotto. I loved the Giotto (it was a big upgrade in my opinion), and when I later upgraded to the Duetto, I didn't feel like it was a major upgrade. (The benefits of a dual-boiler were nice.)

I'm educated/skilled enough to feel I have good technique, and don't get me wrong, the cappuccinos are super yummy and have (overrated) latte art. But the quality still doesn't compare to what I find in a third-wave bar. I've always concluded that it's a result of my milk. That my foam isn't as spot on. (Admittedly I use only whole milk and not 5-6% specialty milk they often use in these bars.)

So now that I have to buy a new machine, I'm thinking moving my price point from 2k to something greater. So I guess my question is, if a Duetto II is your current machine, what's the next step up?

(By the way, I'm using a Vario grinder. And, as discussed in a different thread, a Lever machine is out of the question---maybe the next next upgrade!)

Thanks!

For me the next stop is a maybe a GS3 but more likely a Synesso Hydra or Speedster for my primary machine and those are in the ship needs  to come in category. Since I have two leaving for college I really don't see it anytime soon. If someone steals my Duetto I would have to consider the Elektra, Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 but would likely make the same choice and go with the Duetto again.  

I have kicked around a USED Faema Legend as a second machine for my regular bar area. That would be strictly a second machine entertaining and just because that area of my house if retro 60s by design. I missed on two group that went for $2500 on ebay darn it. A commercial lever is another might be fun to play around on for a while as a second machine.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 1:42pm

Well, this is the only machine I feel I would ever upgrade to, after you hit the commercial quality machines, you pretty much know what you want and like. I do not NEED to upgrade but if I did, a single group one of these would be at the top of my list.
http://www.synesso.com/default.aspx?ID=8
http://www.synesso.com/default.aspx?ID=7

EDIT, John, it seems that we are pretty much on the same "dream" list when our ships come in!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 2:48pm

calblacksmith Said:

The massive 6l boiler of the Elektra will have NO problem steaming for as long as you want to go.

Just to chime in... the new Elektra T1 machines have steam tips with holes that are 1mm whereas the older style had 1.5mm holes. With the former 1.5mm holes, it was almost impossible to steam small amounts of milk.

A customer called today to comment on his just recently received T1, and he stated that the T1 produced better, sweeter frothed milk than his former Elektra SemiAutomatica machine. I was a little surprised to hear this. Not sure what milk he was using. I then explained the reason why. Second, he was stating that the T1 does not get really hot as previously reported on older machines. The reason for this is that there have been some design changes to keep the machine cooler.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 3:20pm

Thanks for the info!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is Elektra...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.471184015274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+