Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 254 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Dr_Coffee_House
Dr_Coffee_House
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Minnore III, BCF, DCM Others
Grinder: MaCap, BZ02, Vario,Eureka
Vac Pot: a few
Drip: one
Roaster: HT, KKTO and Antique French...
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 10:42pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

mcknightp Said:

Rate this..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1S0hiOBt0E

Cheers, Phil

Posted January 5, 2012 link

Phil, love the sunnies ya had on... Or was that a reflection and a flash back to the black shirt you had on ?

So, regardless of the pour; what was the cup like :-)

PS. Forget the Naked, I would have a BDB on my bench - thanks Phil, will keep an eye out for TNT Express :-)

Bling does not make coffee.... Get over it.
 View Profile Link to this post
danielcroft

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jan 6, 2012, 2:12pm

mcknightp Said:

I have no problems fitting a VST 22g in the standard PF, but you must have the black plastic insert that's in the base of the PF removed.

Cheers, Phil

Removed it long ago. I feel like if I try to force the VST any more it's going to break something. Do I need to remove the clip?

dagoat Said:

ok phil, get me an official Breville naked PF.  pm me, and i won't tell the rest of these yanks about it. ;)

-peter

Who are you calling a yank? Bugger off! ; )

I decided to contact Breville to have my machine replaced with a calibrated unit. I just hope they don't pull the usual thing which is to give people warranty/refurbs in place of a new machine...
EvilCookie

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jan 6, 2012, 3:08pm

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread and others in different forums for this machine for some time now.  I was super bummed that I missed out on that WS sale for 30% off (was literally a few days after it ended that I learned about it) so I've been holding off for them to do that sale again.  In the meantime, I've found a seller that can get the machine for a very decent price.  I don't care at all about helping this seller, just trying to get fellow enthusiasts a good deal.  If you're interested, just send me a PM.
SHCoffee
SHCoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Wega/Compak K3 Elite
Posted Fri Jan 6, 2012, 7:33pm

dagoat Said:

ok phil, get me an official Breville naked PF.  pm me, and i won't tell the rest of these yanks about it. ;)

-peter

Hey, don't leave me out.  I want one too!
grahm

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 6, 2012, 8:41pm

EvilCookie Said:

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread and others in different forums for this machine for some time now.  I was super bummed that I missed out on that WS sale for 30% off (was literally a few days after it ended that I learned about it) so I've been holding off for them to do that sale again.  In the meantime, I've found a seller that can get the machine for a very decent price.  I don't care at all about helping this seller, just trying to get fellow enthusiasts a good deal.  If you're interested, just send me a PM.

Posted January 6, 2012 link

Can't find a place to PM you, but I'm interested in the deal! Send me an email (if you don't mind) at
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Jan 6, 2012, 10:15pm

one of my mates on another forum, (non-coffee forum), said this:

Just had a chat w/Matt at Breville, they are replacing my machine as well. New one should be here on Tuesday. I guess I'll have to go back and re-calibrate everything, I've been keeping notes on dose, shot duration, volume, etc.

I tried to get him to reveal what they've changed, he wouldn't get into specifics beyond saying there have been "manufacturing changes" to the valve and the firmware, including the volumetric default settings.

Anyway very pleasant and hassle-free. He also said they anticipate a US release of the naked portafilter in February.

interesting parts bolded by me.

-peter
Dr_Coffee_House
Dr_Coffee_House

Espresso: Minnore III, BCF, DCM Others
Grinder: MaCap, BZ02, Vario,Eureka
Vac Pot: a few
Drip: one
Roaster: HT, KKTO and Antique French...
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 7:40am

dagoat Said:

Doc, have you figured out a way to get the stock handles off?  Iirc, Phil Mcknight was not very encouraging about it.

Btw, when I talked with the brand new BDB rep (no longer kenji kawano), at brevilleusa re getting my 900xl replaced because of the high pressure, I put in a plug for the bottomless pf for us yanks, as well.  Fingers crossed.

-Peter

Posted January 3, 2012 link

Update..

As best I can tell the Handle is of a Bakelite type compound.

The finer detail, as to what I have found is on the Crema Coffee forums.

But in short..

Destruction of said original to expose the spigot is Option 1.  

OR

Removal of said handle with a saw, leaving approx 20mm of spigot. This can be drilled and taped to say 10mm = Problem solved.

Bling does not make coffee.... Get over it.
jasonhilton

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 2:56pm

dagoat Said:

one of my mates on another forum, (non-coffee forum), said this:

"manufacturing changes" to the valve and the firmware

-peter

Posted January 6, 2012 link

I think changing the firmware is very unlikely. I don't see how that would have anything to do with adjusting the OPV.
Phil is the only one I would trust to verify that.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 3:32pm

jasonhilton Said:

I think changing the firmware is very unlikely. I don't see how that would have anything to do with adjusting the OPV.

Posted January 9, 2012 link

Certainly firmware changes should have little to do with maladjusted OPVs.  But it does not seems outlandish that Breville might tweak some of the logic that juggles the boiler management on our US-spec, XL's.  This due to the fact that we run half the nominal voltage here than they do in the home market.

-Peter
mcknightp

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3 Grp
Grinder: Robur, Swift
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 8:55pm

jasonhilton Said:

Posted January 9, 2012 link

I can confirm that there is a firmware update. This primarily deals with managing programmed shot volumes at varying rates of flow. That's how it's related to the OPV. Other parts of the update relate to backend management of small stuff, all the major stuff was well sorted before the software was signed off prior ro production.

Cheers, Phil
showing page 10 of 254 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.486907958984)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+