Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dman777

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia- No PID
Grinder: Compak k3 touch
Drip: french press
Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 9:03pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

from http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction.html:

"Tiger striping and mottling are leading visual indicators of a good extraction. Tiger striping is formed by the contrast of darker and lighter crema in the espresso stream; ideally it begins early in the pour and is sustained through the end. Mottling is the in-cup confirmation of a good extraction; it is the darker brown speckling and reddish-brown splotches formed on the surface of the crema."

'visual indicators of a good extraction'- good extraction means good body and taste to me.

In that video, why did that stream gust to the side on the machine wall like that? What does that mean when the stream goes astray?
 View Profile Link to this post
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed Jan 4, 2012, 11:11pm

dman, i can't help feeling your post is laced with a little sarcasm or facetiousness... not that you aren't entitled to it.  if i had to guess your "tone" online, i'd say you know the answer yourself ;)

the pour in the vid obviously had something asymmetrical about it.  channeling?  uneven distribution?  who knows.  it was linked by phil mcknight, who is not exactly a noob, when it comes to this stuff.  maybe he knows the bloke who crafted it?  i'm guessing phil was just trying to help me steer the lucky blokes who have naked PF's for their BDB's, into using stronger under-lighting so their espresso pr0n, naked extractions show up better on video.

-peter
dman777

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia- No PID
Grinder: Compak k3 touch
Drip: french press
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 1:45am

No sarcasm or facetiousness was implied/intended. I wanted to support evidence for my counter argument from http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction.html. It's important to have faqs and not emotion to be clear what this machine can and can't do for those like myself looking to invest,  and home-barista states the tiger-stripe molten look is a good way to tell from aesthetics what quality the shot is(and therefore the flavor).
Dr_Coffee_House
Dr_Coffee_House

Espresso: Minnore III, BCF, DCM Others
Grinder: MaCap, BZ02, Vario,Eureka
Vac Pot: a few
Drip: one
Roaster: HT, KKTO and Antique French...
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 3:50am

dman777 Said:

No sarcasm or facetiousness was implied/intended. I wanted to support evidence for my counter argument from http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction.html. It's important to have faqs and not emotion to be clear what this machine can and can't do for those like myself looking to invest,  and home-barista states the tiger-stripe molten look is a good way to tell from aesthetics what quality the shot is(and therefore the flavor).

Posted January 5, 2012 link

The extraction is an INDICATOR, but subject to all the variables such as Beans and type of Roast etc etc etc.

Thus, a perfect tiger-stripe molten look may be had but the result in the cup may be far from great.

Quote from same article and is CRITICAL to the whole document:

While appearance alone isn't definitive proof of a good cup, it does go a long way in verifying the barista's technique.

Thus a naked is a handy tool to assist with Barista techniques, but does not mean a god shot....

Muscles has had plenty of so called tiger-stripe molten look and he has stated that have been a pleasure to drink. BUT then again, others have been as good if not better but not had that tiger-stripe molten look...

Lastly, some would also say that the exact same shot in a standard PF will not taste the same in the cup....

I use a Naked to brag or to check on different tamping styles or when trying different baskets after that it just sits on a shelf...

AND yes have had great tiger-stripe molten look from very basic machines such as cheep Sunbeams and other non de-script units...  But it does not mean they are top of the line coffee machines, just that I knew the bean, I had roasted to a particular style, used when a little fresh and tweaked the dose...  But the shots looked GREAT.

Bling does not make coffee.... Get over it.
danielcroft

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 8:03am

I've definitely got tiger shots that have tasted worse that something that looked over extracted. It's something I pay attention to for sure (and I do prefer a naked PF) but my (limited) experience tells me that it's not a required element of a good espresso.

Edit:
I tried my 22g VST again last night. It does not fit, I guess I could try to force it in (more!) but I don't like my chances of being able to remove it afterwards. I put a fair amount of weight (probably as much as a good hard tamp) and it still wouldn't seat correctly. Here's hoping that I can get a naked PF soonish.
nixter

Espresso: Giotto Evoluzione, Oscar Pro
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 10:32am

dman777 Said:

Forget tiger striping. You are being cautious in your pre purchase investigation which is great but you are asking the wrong questions. While tiger striping is a good visual indicator of what could be a good shot, it has nothing to do with the machine. It's an indicator of the beans and grinder.
dagoat

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 11:24am

... don't forget the care in preparation of the puck... the "Mano", in the vernacular of the HB crowd.

-peter
mcknightp

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3 Grp
Grinder: Robur, Swift
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 2:07pm

Rate this..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1S0hiOBt0E

Cheers, Phil
mcknightp

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3 Grp
Grinder: Robur, Swift
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 2:14pm

danielcroft Said:

I've definitely got tiger shots that have tasted worse that something that looked over extracted. It's something I pay attention to for sure (and I do prefer a naked PF) but my (limited) experience tells me that it's not a required element of a good espresso.

Edit:
I tried my 22g VST again last night. It does not fit, I guess I could try to force it in (more!) but I don't like my chances of being able to remove it afterwards. I put a fair amount of weight (probably as much as a good hard tamp) and it still wouldn't seat correctly. Here's hoping that I can get a naked PF soonish.

I have no problems fitting a VST 22g in the standard PF, but you must have the black plastic insert that's in the base of the PF removed.

Cheers, Phil
dagoat

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 3:38pm

mcknightp Said:

Rate this..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1S0hiOBt0E

Cheers, Phil

ok phil, get me an official Breville naked PF.  pm me, and i won't tell the rest of these yanks about it. ;)

-peter
showing page 9 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387982845306)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+