Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Most reliable Superautomatic Brand?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Most reliable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 10:55am
Subject: Re: Most reliable Superautomatic Brand?

xlr8tion Said:

...What is the more reliable brand......Gaggia Titanium has been knocked (by the repair center in NC) as highly unreliable and my friend has a Jura C9
that he claims is bullet proof but I don't have 2400 to spare.

What brand has the lowest repair frequency and what is the forums thought of the best machine in the 1000-1500 dollar range.

Posted December 15, 2011 link

The only way you're going to get a statistically significant answer is to see the overall repair records by brand, and I'm sure they are closely held.  Without that, all you have is anecdotal experience which is basically useless as a buying guide, I'm afraid.  For every own story of a Gaggia falling apart, you can find an equivalent story from an unhappy Jura owner.

I'd go with whatever brand your local store will maintain, or at least handle for you.  If there is no such brand, you might as well flip a coin, or buy what looks best.  Whatever you get, try to keep it clean and don't feed it oily, over-roasted beans.

I can flat out guarantee you that I'm faster at drink production in all aspects using proper equipment over super-autos, and I'm speaking from direct experience owning them in the past.

Getting a little hyperbolic, aren't we?  *You* may be faster (although I'd like to see how you beat pushing a button and getting coffee 25 seconds later), but my wife certainly wouldn't be, and it sounds like the OP's wife wouldn't be either.

I think we can all agree that the superauto is neither cost effective nor produces anything better than mostly-OK coffee (for suitable definitions of mostly-OK).  For people who are willing to accept those facts, and who indeed have as a *priority* that they push a button and coffee comes out, the superauto has its place.
 View Profile Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:02am

JtothaR Said:

Lets say optimistically that drink prep time is halved on a super auto (Hint: It isn't).

Posted December 16, 2011 link

Have you used a super-auto? It's immensely easier. Put your mug under it, press the button. Come back a minute later and your drink is sitting there. You wouldn't drink it, but lots of people would.

JtothaR Said:

As the OP has already stated, this will be his fourth machine in a 9 year time period and the previous three wen't into a dumpster. If each one cost him $1500 which is a conservative estimate, he will have spent $6,000 by the time he gets a replacement.

For lots of people, time is more scarce than money. For them, a new machine every other year is no big deal.

JtothaR Said:

I can flat out guarantee you that I'm faster at drink production in all aspects using proper equipment over super-autos, and I'm speaking from direct experience owning them in the past.

This makes you an outlier. Terms like "proper equipment" are very subjective and make you sound elitist.

JtothaR Said:

Every aspect of HX or DB use is far superior to Super Autos: Drink production time, Maintenance time, Drink quality, Machine longevity, cost of ownership... It's all better.

If this were true, there would be no market for super-autos and shops that analyze every part of their business wouldn't be using them. The trade-offs that you are willing to make are not universal.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 2:02pm

Steve, I'm with you, up to this point . . .

JtothaR Said:

Every aspect of HX or DB use is far superior to Super Autos: Drink production time, Maintenance time, Drink quality, Machine longevity, cost of ownership... It's all better.

scanfield Said:

If this were true, there would be no market for super-autos and shops that analyze every part of their business wouldn't be using them. The trade-offs that you are willing to make are not universal.

Of course there would be a market for super-autos!  There will always be a) consumers who -- rightly or wrongly -- believe using a manual/semi-auto/full-auto is too much hassle, too complicated, too intimidating, etc., etc.; and b) commercial locations (bars, restaurants, hotels, airports, gas stations, and -- yes -- *$) which have a high rate-of-turnover among employees and do not/cannot go to the trouble to engage in meaningful staff training/education.  No one ever said that corporations look to the L-O-N-G term.  Too much pressure for short-term profits.  This may/can often be the case even in non-corporate locations, whether the owner him-/herself "can't be bothered" with anything more than "pushing a button."

As I said above, each individual makes whatever commitment/trade-off/purchase which feels "right" to him/her.  For me, I think it's rather obvious that the "convenience" of a super-auto is not worth the significant loss of quality that would result.  For others?  Well, this is certainly a time when "YMMV" really rings true!

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
crismih19

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 7:52pm

My parents' saeco incanto deluxe has 5k+ shots and counting.  Mine has 2327.

Theirs was the earlier version which had a plastic steam valve that broke, but it was replaced for free. At around 3k shots, the pump failed and I replaced it with a newer one that had brass internals and is supposed to last longer. I also replaced the brew group o-ring and some some other miscellaneous o-rings all for under $10.

If you buy a super auto, get one that has been out for a while so that the bugs have been figured out.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Most reliable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.50271487236)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+